- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Effect of a Convergence Multi-cultural Nursing Education Program on Cultural Competence and Empathy for Nursing Students
융복합 다문화 간호교육 프로그램이 간호대학생의 문화적 역량과 공감능력에 미치는 효과
- Lee, Grace Chang-keum (Dept. of Nursing, Kongju National University) ;
- Park, Yeon-Suk (Dept. of Nursing, Kongju National University) ;
- Lee, Hye-Kyung (Dept. of Nursing, Kongju National University) ;
- Lee, Keum-Jae (College of Nursing, Gachon University)
- Received : 2015.10.15
- Accepted : 2015.12.20
- Published : 2015.12.28
Purpose: The purpose of this study is to identify the effect of a convergence multicultural nursing education on cultural competence and empathy for nursing students. Method: This used a total of 85 samples with an experimental group and a control group and pre-and post-testing. The samples comprised of 85 third-year nursing students enrolled in the BSN program were divided into an experimental group (n=45) from college J and an control group (n=40) from college K. Results: The experimental group of students who attended a convergence multicultural nursing education program increased the level of cultural competence and empathy significantly. But the control group of students who did not receive multicultural nursing education program had no significant increase. Conclusion: The study proves that a convergence multicultural nursing education program has a positive impact on the improvement of cultural competence and empathy for nursing students.
convergence;multi-cultural nursing education;cultural competence;empathy;reflective journal
- Ministry of Justice, News Report, Retrieved July 29, 2015 from http://www.moj.go.kr/HP/COM/bbs_03/ListShowData.do.
- W. O. Oh, Factors Influencing Cultural Sensitivity among Nursing Students. Journal of Korean Academic Child Health Nursing, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 222-229, 2011. https://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2011.17.4.222
- M.M. Leininger, Future Directions in Transcultural Nursing in the 21 Century, International Nursing Review, Vol. 44, No. 1, pp. 19-23, 1997.
- S. H. Min, M. Y. Lee, A Exploratory Study about the Cultural Competence of University Students-focused on the Cultural Awareness. Journal of Adolescent Welfare, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 183-206, 2009.
- A. E. Ivey, M. B. Ivey, L. Simek-Morgan, eds., Counselling and Psychotherapy: A Multicultural Perspective (3rd ed.), pp.21-44, SAGE Publications, Los Angeles, 1993.
- American Nurses Association, Cultural Diversity in the Nursing Curriculum: A guide for Implementation. Kansas City, MO, 1986.
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing, Cultural Competency in Baccalaureate Nursing Education. Washington, DC, 2008.
- E. H. Peek, C. S. Park, Effects of a Multicultural Education on the Cultural Competence, Empathy and Self-efficacy of Nursing Students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 43, No. 5, pp. 690-696, 2013. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.5.690
- K. S. Choi, S. Morgan, V. Thongpriwan, S. Y. Lee, M. H. Jun, A Proposed Teaching Model to Improve Cultural Competency Care for Undergraduate Korean Nursing Students. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 424-434, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.3.424
- Y. M. Lee, K. A. Jung, M. A. Son, Attitudes towards Death and Euthanasia among Nurses and Nursing Students: In Convergence Era. Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 6, pp. 213-223, 2015.
- J. H. Park, J. H. Lee, A Systematic Review of the Studies of Integrative Education. Asian Journal of Education, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 97-135, 2013.
- E. E. Suh, The Model of Cultural Competence through an Evolutionary Concept Analysis. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 93-102, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1177/1043659603262488
- S. Y. Han, Development of a Cultural Competence for Nursing Students. Ph.D. Dissertation, Chonnam National University, Gwangju, 2014.
- J. A. McCoy, Is Empathy a Fundamental Substrate for Cultural Competency?. The 92nd Clinical Congress, Atlanta, Oct. 2006.
- M. H. Davis, Empathy: A Social Psychological Approach. Westview Press, Boulder, CO, 1996.
- B. S. Jeon, The Relationship Between Empathy and Altruistic Behavior. Master's thesis, Chungnam National University, Daejeon, 2002.
- L. Beveridge, Teaching Your Students to Think Reflectively: The Case of Reflective Journals. Teaching in Higher Education, Vol. 2, No.1, pp. 33-43, 2009.
- I. A. Kang, E. S. Jung, The Reexamination of Educational Implication of Reflective Journal: A University Class Case. The Korean Journal of Educational Methodology Studies, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 93-117, 2009.
- Y. T. Lee, C. I. Lim, Study on the Development of Program Outcomes Assessment System Using Reflection Journal. Journal of Engineering Education Research, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 42-50, 2013. https://doi.org/10.18108/jeer.2013.16.3.42
- R. M. Williams, J. Wessel, Reflective Journal Writing to Obtain Student Feedback About their Learning During the Study of Chronic Musculoskeletal Conditions. Journal of Allied Health, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 17-23, 2004.
- T. Leonard, Exploring diversity in nursing education: Research findings. Journal of Cultural Diversity, Vol 13, No. 2, pp. 87-96, 2006.
- A. Noble, E. Nuszen, M. Rom, L. M. Noble, The Effect of a Cultural Competence Educational Intervention for First-Year Nursing Students in Israel. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, Vol. 25, No. 11, pp. 87-94, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1177/1043659613503881
- Y. S. Seo, Y. C. Kwon, Factors Influencing to the Cultural Competence in Nursing Students. Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 415-423, 2014.
- S. A. Kim, J. Y. Hong, G. Y. Lim, Study on Convergence Education for Critical Multi-cultural Education: Based on the Analysis of the National Curriculum of Art. Korean Language, and Music, Art Education Research Review, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 107-206, 2014.
- D. H. Chae, Y. H. Park, K. H. Kang, T. H. Lee, A Study on Factors affecting Cultural Competency of General Hospital Nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 76-86, 2012. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.1.76
- E. J. Lee, Y. K. Kim, H. K. Lee, A Study on Cultural Competence of Community Health Practitioners. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 178-188, 2012.
- S. Y. Yang, H. N. Lim, J. H. Lee, The Study of Relationship between Cultural Competency and Empathy of Nursing Students. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 183-193, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.2.183
- J. B. Seo, The Effect of Multicultural Education Program on Secondary Teacher's College Students. The Journal of Educational Research, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 191-203, 2014.
- W. B. Gudykunst, Y. Y. Kim, Communicating with strangers: An approach to intercultural communication (2nd ed.). McGraw-Hill, New York, 1997.
- G. C. Lee, Cultural Competence in Nursing Education. Master's thesis, MidAmerica Nazarene University, Olathe, KS, 2014.
- L. S. Bickley, P. G. Szilagyi, Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking (11th ed.). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, pp. 929-930, 2013.