- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
A Basic Study for the Development of Multidisciplinary Intervention Guide Map of Auditory Processing Disorders
청각처리장애의 다학문적 중재 안내도 개발을 위한 기초 연구
- Kim, Soo-Jin (Dept. of Special Education, Baekseok University)
- 김수진 (백석대학교 특수교육과)
- Received : 2015.10.13
- Accepted : 2015.12.20
- Published : 2015.12.28
People with auditory processing disorders(APD) do not exactly understand what they hear with normal hearing levels because of difficulties in the processing of auditory information in auditory nervous system. The purposes of this study are to investigate intervention strategies suggested by current literatures and to develop a guide map for APD intervention. The problem based intervention strategies are customized to the specific deficits of a subtype of Buffalo model and Bellis/Ferre model and general intervention strategies are recommended with compensatory strategy, auditory training, environmental modification and so on. Multidisciplinary team should determine and provide various intervention strategies to improve auditory capabilities of a child with APD intensively and persistently. APD intervention guide map is organized with four steps. It helps clinicians and teachers related with the intervention of APD find appropriate intervention strategies and process in order to reduce difficulties of a child with APD and a suspected APD.
auditory processing disorders(APD);Buffalo model;Bellis/Ferre model;intervention;multidisciplinary
Supported by : 백석대학교
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA), Working group on auditory processing disorders. (Central) auditory processing disorder. ASHA Technical Report, 2005, Feb.
- J. Jerger & F. Musiek, Report of the consensus conference on the diagnosis of auditory processing disorders in school-aged children. Journal of the American Academy of audiology, Vol. 11, pp. 467-474, 2000.
- G. Chermak, & F. Musiek, Central auditory processing disorders: New perspectives. San Diego, CA: Singular, 1997.
- R. Schow & M. Nerbonne, Introduction to audiologic rehabilitation. Allyn and Bacon, 2002.
- Dong Il Seok, Review about the nature of central auditory processing disorders. Journal of Special Education : Theory and Practice, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 45-70, 2004.
- Soo-Jin Kim, Review of overlap in auditory processing disorder and language learning disability & auditory processing disorder and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. The Journal of Special Children Education, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 333-351, 2006.
- J. Katz, Classification of auditory processing disorders. In Katz J., Stecker, N. A., & Henderson, D. (Editors.), Central auditory processing: A transdisciplinary view. (pp. 81-91). St. Louis: Mosby Year Book, Inc, 1992.
- T. J. Bellis, & J. M. Ferre, Multidimensional approach to the differential diagnosis of central auditory processing disorders in children. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology, Vol. 10, pp. 39-328. 1999.
- Myung Woul Han, Joong Ho Ahn, Jong Woo Chung, The application of diagnostic tools of central auditory processing disorder and their normative value in each age group in Korean. Korean Journal of Otorhinolaryngol-Head Neck Surgery, Vol. 51, pp. 694-698, 2008.
- A-Reum Jeon, Hyunsook Jang, Effects of stimulus complexity, attention mode & age on dichotic digit tests. The Journal of Special Education: Theory and Practice, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 377-395, 2009.
- Hyunsook Jang, Audiologic evaluation of central auditory processing disorders. Korean Academy of Audiology, Vol. 6, pp. 10-18, 2010.
- Kyunghee Won & Hyunsook Jang, A study of children's auditory processing performance scale for screening of central auditory processing disorders. Korean Academy of Audiology, Vol. 6, pp. 137-145, 2010.
- T. J. Bellis, G. D. Chermak, J. Weihing, & F. E. Musiek, Efficacy of auditory interventions for central auditory processing disorder: A response to fey et al. (2011). Language, Speech, & Hearing Services in Schools, Vol. 43, No. 3, pp. 381-386, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1044/0161-1461(2012/11-0085)
- J. Katz, & K. Tillery, Central Auditory Processing. In Ludo Verhoeven & Hans van Balkom (Editors), Classification of developmental language disorders: Theoretical issues and clinical implications. (pp. 191-208). New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc, Publishers, 2004.
- D. E. Bamiou, N. Campbell, & T. Sirimanna, Managment of auditory processing disorders. Audiological Medicine, Vol. 4, pp. 46-56, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1080/16513860600630498
- J. Katz, APD evaluation to therapy: The Buffalo model. Audiology Online, 2014.
- J. Katz & C. Harmon, Phonemic synthesis; Testing and training. In R. Keith(Ed.), Central auditory and language disorders in children.(pp. 145-159). Houston, TX: College-Hill Press, 1981.
- P. Tallal, S. L. Miller, G. Bedi, G. Byma, X. Wang, S. S. Nagarajan, C. Schreiner, W. M. Jenkins, & M. M. Merzerich, Language comprehension in language-learning impaired children improved with acoustically modified speech. Science, Vol. 271, pp. 81-84, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.271.5245.81
- P. Lindamood & P. Lindamood, Lindamood Phonological Sequencing (LIPS) program. San Luis Obisop, CA: Gander, 1996.
- T. J. Bellis, When the brain can't hear: Unraveling the mystery of auditory processing disorder. New York: Atria Books, 2002.
- Minnesota Department of Education, Introduction to auditory processing disorders. Division of Special Education, 2003.
- J. M. Ferre, Management Strategies for APD. In Teralandur K. Parthasarathy (Ed.), An introduction to auditory processing disorders in children. (pp. 161-186). Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc., 2006.
- D. A. DeBonis & D. Moncrieff, Auditory processing disorders: An update for speech-language pathologists. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, Vol. 17, pp. 4-18, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1044/1058-0360(2008/002)
- D. C. Emanuel, K. N. Ficca, & P. Korczak, Survey of the diagnosis and management of auditory processing disorder. American Journal of Audiology, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 48-60, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1044/1059-0889(2011/10-0019)
- D. R. Moore, Auditory processing disorder (APD): Definition, diagnosis, neural basis, and intervention. Audiological Medicine, Vol. 4, pp. 4-11, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1080/16513860600568573
- G. G. Rosenberg, Classroom acoustics and personal FM technology in the management of APD. Semin Hear, Vol. 23, pp. 309-317, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2002-35879
- A. Ryan & M. Logue-Kennedy, Exploration of teachers' awareness and knowledge of (central) auditory processing disorder ((C)APD). British Journal of Special Education, Vol. 40, No. 4, pp. 167-174, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8578.12041
- F. Musiek, Habilitation and management of auditory processing disorders: Overview of selected procedures. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology, Vol. 10, No. 6, pp. 329-342, 1999.
- K. J. Foli, & H. Elsisy, Influence, education, and advocacy: The pediatric nurse's role in the evaluation and management of children with central auditory processing disorders. Journal for Specialists in Pediatric Nursing, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 62-71, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6155.2009.00219.x