- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Status of Handwashing with Soap and its Convergent related Factors in Korean People ; based on Korea National Handwashing Observation Survey, 2013
한국인의 비누로 손씻기 실천율 및 융복합적 관련요인; 2013년 국민 손씻기 관찰조사
- Hwang, Hye-Jeong (Department of Health, Welfare, and Business Administration, Konyang Cyber University) ;
- Lee, Moo-Sik (Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Medicine, Konyang University) ;
- Yang, Nam-Young (Department of Nursing, College of Nursing, Konyang University) ;
- Hong, SuJin (Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Medicine, Konyang University) ;
- Kim, Young-Taek (Division of Infectious Disease Control, Korea Center for Disease Control and Prevention)
- 황혜정 (건양사이버대학교 보건복지경영학과) ;
- 이무식 (건양대학교 의과대학 예방의학교실) ;
- 양남영 (건양대학교 간호대학 간호학과) ;
- 홍수진 (건양대학교 의과대학 예방의학교실) ;
- 김영택 (질병관리본부 감염병관리과)
- Received : 2015.07.17
- Accepted : 2015.12.20
- Published : 2015.12.28
OBJECTIVES Handwashing rate of Korean people was lower than the rates of people in developed countries. The purpose of this study was to investigate handwashing rate, the factors influence people's handwashing behaviors during use of public restroom. METHODS This study used the data of '2013 Korea National Handwashing Survey'. The survey was done through direct observation on the user of subway and train station restroom from September 10 to 12, 2013. RESULTS Factors influencing handwashing with soap were administrative region(OR 0.490-2.255), purpose of toilet use(urination 1.000, defecation 2.505), drying method after handwashing(OR 0.497-3.107). CONCLUSIONS The results of this study will provide the evidence data of national handwashing promotion activities for preventing and controlling communicable diseases.
handwashing with soap;handwashing behavior;convergent related factors;observation survey
- World Health Organization. The World Health Report 2002: Reducing Risk, Promoting Healthy Life. World Health Organization. 2002.
- Park KJ. The Development of Estimate Model of Social Economic Costs and Estimates Socioeconomic Effect of Foodborne Disease in Korea. Korea Health Industry Development Institute. 2001.
- Korea Center for Disease Control & Prevention, 2013 Infectious disease management program guidelines. Korea Center for Disease Control & Prevention. 2013.
- Boyce JM, Pittet D. Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee; HICPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA Hand Hygiene Task Force. Guideline for Hand Hygiene in Health-Care Settings. Recommendations of the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee and the HICPAC/SHEA/APIC /IDSA Hand Hygiene Task Force. Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America/Association for Professionals in Infection Control/ Infectious Diseases Society of America. MMWR Recomm Rep. Vol. 51, No. 16, pp. 1-45, 2002.
- Luby SP, Agboatwalla M, Feikin DR, Painter J, Billhimer W, Altaf A, Hoekstra RM. Effect of handwashing on child health: A randomized controlled trial. Lancet, Vol. 366, No. 9481, pp. 225-233, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)66912-7
- Luby SP, Agboatwalla M, Painter J, Altaf A, Billhimer WL, Hoekstra RM. Effect of intensive handwashing promotion on childhood diarrhea in high risk communities in Pakistan. JAMA, Vol. 291, No. 21, pp. 2547-2554, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.291.21.2547
- Curtis V, Caimcross S. Effect of washing hands with soap on diarrhoea risk in the community: A systematic review. Lancet Infect Dis, Vol. 3, No. 5, pp. 275-281, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(03)00606-6
- Korea Center for Disease Control & Prevention, Handwashing Survey of Koreans, 2005.
- Pittet D. The Lowbury lecture: behaviour in infection control. J Hosp Infect. Vol. 58, pp. 1-3, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2004.06.002
- Park JH, Cheong HK, Son DY, Kim SU, Ha CM. Perceptions and behaviors related to hand hygiene for the prevention of H1N1 influenza transmission among Korean university students during the peak pandemic period. BMC Infectious Diseases, Vol. 10, No. 222, pp. 1-8, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2334-10-1
- Sheree MS Smith. A review of hand-washing techniques in primary care and community settings, Journal of Clinical Nursing, Vol. 18, pp. 786-790, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2008.02546.x
- Jeong JS, Choi JK, Jeong IS, Peck KR, In HK, Park KD. A Nationwide Survey on the Hand Washing Behavior and Awareness. Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Vol. 40, No. 3, pp. 197-204, 2007. https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2007.40.3.197
- Amencan Society for Microbiology and The Soap and Detergent Association. Hand Washing Survey Fact Sheet. [cited 2006 May 18]. Available from: URL: http;www.cleaning101.com/newsroom/2005-survey/handhygiene/keyfindings.html.
- Drankiewicz D, DundesL, Maryland W, Handwashing among female college students. Am J Infect Control, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 67-71, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1067/mic.2003.6
- Ryu SM, Lim YJ. Knowledge, Attitude and Performance on the Hand Washing by Pre-practicum Nursing Students. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industria, Vol. 14, No. 11, pp. 5714-5722, 2013.
- Curtis& Cairncross, "Effect of washing hands with soap on diarrhrea risk in the community; A systematic review". Lancet Infection of Disease, 3(5):275-281,2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(03)00606-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(03)00606-6
- Choi YS, Behaviors of hand washing practice Korean adolescents, 2011-2013: The Korea Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industria, Vol. 15, No. 7, pp. 4132-4138, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4132
- Korea Center for Disease Control & Prevention, Hand washing and general public awareness survey Investigation Report, 2005.
- Food and Drug Safety, food poisoning statistics system. 2015. [cited 2015 Sep 15]. Available from: http://www.foodsafetykorea.go.kr/portal/healthyfoodlife/foodPoisoningStat.do?menu_no=519&menu_grp=MENU_GRP02