- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Effects of Consumer Trust and Perceived Usefulness on Mobile Payments and Online Shopping Website Loyalty
간편결제 서비스에 대한 지각된 유용성 및 신뢰가 결제 및 쇼핑몰 충성도에 미치는 영향
- Han, Jin-Hee (Dept. of Fashion Industy, Incheon National University) ;
- Jae, So-Hyun (Dept. of Fashion Industy, Incheon National University) ;
- Kim, Bo-Hyun (Dept. of Fashion Industy, Incheon National University) ;
- Park, Jee-Sun (Dept. of Fashion Industy, Incheon National University)
- Received : 2015.10.25
- Accepted : 2015.12.20
- Published : 2015.12.28
The current study examines whether consumers' perceived usefulness of and trust in the integrated mobile payments services positively influence consumer loyalty to the payments system as well as to the online shopping websites where they have used the payments system. Moreover, the study investigates the effects of individual characteristics and brand awareness of the provider of mobile payments on perceived usefulness and trust. Online survey was administered to consumers ranging in age from 20s to 40s. Data analysis reveals that as consumers' perceived usefulness of and trust in the mobile payments system positively influence consumer loyalty to mobile payments and shopping mall websites. The results of the study suggests that e-commerce's user interface design, particularly the transaction system, should receive greater attention as a basic web element of e-commerce building rather than a set of plug-ins or so.
- Statistics Korea, "Annual E-commerce Sales 4th Quarter 2014", www.kostat.go.kr (January 29, 2015).
- S. Noh, "A study of factors affecting the intention to use a mobile easy payments system: Focused on the moderating effects of consumer's innovativeness. Master's thesis", p.15, Yeonsei University, 2014.
- Statista, Global mobile payment transaction volume from 2010 to 2017 (in billion U.S. dollars). Statista, Retrieved on Sep. 20, 2015, http://www.statista.com/statistics/226530/mobile-payment-transaction-volume-forecast/
- J.-I. Choi, "Necessity of underground economy legalization & domestic mobile payment market development. Journal of Digital Convergence", Vol.13, No.9, pp.89-98, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.9.89
- DMC Report, http://www.dmcreport.co.kr/content/ReportView.php?type=Consumer&id=7610&gid=8 (April 22, 2015).
- A. Thair, L. Suhuai, and S. Peter, "Consumer acceptance of mobile payments: An empirical study. New Trends in Information Science and Service Science (NISS) 2010 4th International Conference on", IEEE, 2010.
- J. Kim, G. Kim, "Investigating the causal directionality between perceived usefulness and trust in online shopping context. The Journal of Internet Electronic Commerce Research", Vol.14, No.3, pp.1-14, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10660-014-9139-2
- Y-M Kwon, "A study on the affecting the intention to use of smart-phone mobile banking. Review of Business & Economics", Vol.18, No.1, pp.529-549, 2015.
- P. G. Schierz, O. Schilke, and B. W. Wirtz, B. W., "Understanding consumer acceptance of mobile payment services: An empirical analysis. Electronic Commerce Research and Applications", Vol.9, pp.209-216, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elerap.2009.07.005
- F. D. Davis, "Perceived usefulness, perceived ease of use, and user acceptance of information technology. MIS quarterly", Vol.13, No.3, pp.319-340, 1989. https://doi.org/10.2307/249008
- M. S. Featherman, and P. A. Pavlou, "Predicting e-services adoption: a perceived risk facets perspective. International Journal of human-computer studies", Vol.59, No.4, pp.451-474, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1071-5819(03)00111-3
- J. Yu, I. Ha, M. Choi, and J. Rho, "Extending the TAM for a t-commerce, Information & Management", Vol.42, No.7, pp.965-976, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2004.11.001
- J.-H. Wu and S.-C. Wang, "What drives mobile commerce? An empirical evaluation of the revised technology acceptance model. Information & Management", Vol.42, pp.719-729, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2004.07.001
- N. Patel, "6 ways to improve your online checkout process", http://www.forbes.com/sites/neilpatel/2014/09/23/improve-your-online-checkout-process/ (September 23, 2014).
- C. Smith, "Shopping cart abandonment: Online retailers' biggest headache is actually a huge opportunity." http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-how-retailers-can-reduce-shopping-cart-abandonment-and-recoup-billions-of-dollars-in-lost-sales-2014-4 (May 4, 2015).
- R. K. Rajamma, A. K. Paswan, and M. M. Hossain, "Why do shoppers abandon shopping cart? Perceived waiting time, risk, and transaction inconvenience. Journal of Product & Brand Management", Vol.18, No.3, pp.188-197, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1108/10610420910957816
- E. Oh, and T.-S. Kim, "A study on security and use intention of easy-to-use mobile payment. The Korean Institute of Communications and Information Sciences Winter Conference Proceedings", pp.54-55, 2015.
- D. Gefen, and D. W. Straub, "Consumer trust in B2C e-commerce and the importance of social presence: Experiments in e-Products and e-services, Omega", Vol.32, pp.407-424, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.omega.2004.01.006
- D. Gefen, E. Karahanna, and D. W. Straub, "Trust and TAM in online shopping: An integrated model. MIS quarterly", Vol.27, No.1, pp. 51-90, 2003. https://doi.org/10.2307/30036519
- A. I. Nicolaou, and D. H. McKnight, "Perceived information quality in data exchanges: Effects on risk, trust, and intention to use. Information Systems Research", Vol.17, No.4, pp.332-351, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1060.0103
- T. Zhou, "Understanding the determinants of mobile payment continuance usage. Industrial Management & Data Systems", Vol.114, No.6, pp. 936-948, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1108/IMDS-02-2014-0068
- T. Laukkanen, "Internet vs mobile banking: comparing customer value perceptions. Business Process Management Journal", Vol.13, No.6 pp.788-797, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1108/14637150710834550
- Y. Lu, S. Yang, P. Y. Chau, and Y. Cao, "Dynamics between the trust transfer process and intention to use mobile payment services: A cross-environment perspective. Information & Management", Vol.48, No.8, pp.393-403, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2011.09.006
- D. A. Aaker, "Managing Brand Equity. New York: Free Press", 1991.
- R. L. Oliver, "Whence consumer loyalty? The Journal of Marketing", Vol.63, pp.33-44, 1999.
- D. Cyr, M. Head, and A. Ivanov. "Design aesthetics leading to m-loyalty in mobile commerce. Information & Management", Vol.43, No.8, pp.950-963, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2006.08.009
- A. Duane, P. O'Reilly, and P. Andreev, "Realising m-payments: Modelling consumers' willingness to m-pay using smart phone. Behaviour & Information Technology", Vol.33, No.4, pp.318-334, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1080/0144929X.2012.745608
- Y. An, "Factors affecting the intention to use of Alibaba mobile payment service: A case of Chinese users. Pai Chai University, Master's Thesis." 2014.
- C. Flavian, M. Guinaliu, and R. Gurrea. "The role played by perceived usability, satisfaction and consumer trust on website loyalty. Information & Management", Vol.43, No.1, pp.1-14, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2005.01.002
- H.-H. Lin, and Y.-S. Wang. "An examination of the determinants of customer loyalty in mobile commerce contexts. Information & management", Vol.43, No.3, pp.271-282, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2005.08.001
- S.-J. Yoon, "The antecedents and consequences of trust in online-purchase decisions. Journal of Interactive Marketing", Vol.16, No.2, pp.47-63, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1002/dir.10008
- Retail & Ecommerce, "Smartphones are closing the retail ecommerce device gap. eMarketer", http://www.emarketer.com/Article/Smartphones-Closing-Retail-Ecommerce-Device-Gap/1012467 (May 12, 2015).
- D. F. Midgley, and G. R. Dowling, "Innovativeness: The concept and its measurement. Journal of Consumer Research," Vol.4, No.4, pp.229-242, 1978. https://doi.org/10.1086/208701
- E. M. Rogers, "Diffusion of Innovations, New York: Free Press", 1983.
- R. Agarwal, and J. Prasad, "A conceptual and operational definition of personal innovativeness in the domain of information technology, Information Systems Research", Vol.9, No.2, pp.204-215, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.9.2.204
- S. Im, B. L. Bayus, & C. H. Mason, "An empirical study of innovativeness, personal characteristics, and new-product adoption behavior. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science", Vol.31, No.1, pp.61-73, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070302238602
- R. Agarwal, and E. Karahanna, "When you're having fun: Cognitive absorption and beliefs about information technology usage. MIS Quarterly", Vol.24, No.4, pp.665-694, 2000. https://doi.org/10.2307/3250951
- J. Lu, J. E. Yao, and C.-S. Yu, "Personal innovativeness, social influences and adoption of wireless Internet services via mobile technology. Journal of Strategic Information Systems", Vol.14, No.3, pp.245-268, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsis.2005.07.003
- J. Park, and J.-S. Lee, "A study on the influencing factors of purchase intention for smart mountaineering garments: An extended technology acceptance model. Journal of Digital Convergence", Vol.10, No.10, pp.261-275, 2012. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2012.10.10.261
- C.-W. Park & J.-W. Kim, "An empirical research on information privacy and trust model in the convergence era. Journal of Digital Convergence", Vol.13, No.4, pp.219-225, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.4.219
- J. Park, "Analysis of Fashion Consumer's Lifestyle, Shopping Orientation, Purchase Behavior for Cross Channel Strategy of TV Home Shopping. Master's thesis", Kyung Hee University, 2015.
- K. L. Keller, "Strategic Brand Management (4th ed.). London: Pearson Education", pp.77-79, 2013.
- A. Angriawan, and R. Thakur, "A parsimonious model of antecedents and consequences of online trust: An uncertainty perspective. Journal of Internet Commerce", Vol.7, No.1, pp.74-94, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/15332860802004337
- D. Gefen, "E-commerce: the role of familiarity and trust. Omega", Vol.28, No.6, pp.725-737, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0305-0483(00)00021-9
- O. B. Buttner and A. S. Goritz, "Perceived trustworthiness of online shops. Journal of Consumer Behaviour", Vol.7, No.1, pp.35-50, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1002/cb.235
- F.-R. Esch, T. Langner, B. H. Schmitt, and P. Geus, "Are brands forever? How brand knowledge and relationships affect current and future purchases. Journal of Product & Brand Management", Vol.15, No.2, pp.98-105, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1108/10610420610658938
- J.-H. Huh & J. P. Yu, "The effect of brand awareness, perceived service quality and physical environment on purchase intention: Focusing on mediation effect of congruity. Consumption Culture Study", Vol.16, No.2, pp.17-36, 2013. https://doi.org/10.17053/jcc.2013.16.2.002
- Y. Kim, "The influence that the service quality related with the Internet shopping mall & the customer personality type take on customer loyalty. Doctoral Dissertation", Dongshin University, 2008.
- W.-J. Jung, "The effects of perceived values of mobile shopping on customer loyalty and purchase intention. The e-Business Studies", Vol.13, No.5, pp.203-226, 2012.
- J. F. Hair, W. C. Black, B. J. Babin, & R. E. Anderson, "Multivariate Data Analysis (7th ed.). Upper Saddle River", pp.666-672, 2010.
- K.-G. Lee & S.-S. Park, "The mediating effects of calculus-based and identification-based trust on the relationship between transactional-transformational leadership and follower's extra-role behaviors. Korea Journal of Business Administration", Vol.23, No.2, pp.1161-1184, 2010.
- S. K. Kwun, "The effects of leader behavior, social similarity, and exchange relations on the subordinate's trust in leader. Korean Management Review", Vol.29, No.1, p.187-216, 2000.
- Effects of Consumer Propensity and Brand Attitude on Brand Extension Assessment: Focused on Easy Mobile Payment Services vol.55, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.6115/fer.2017.029