- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
IT SMEs' Product Planning Capability and Manufacturing Capability in the Context of Digital Convergence: The Mediating Impacts of the Product Exterior and Interior Design Capabilities
디지털 융합 환경에서 IT 중소기업의 제품기획능력과 제조능력: 제품외부 및 내부 디자인능력의 매개효과를 중심으로
- Hau, Yong Sauk (School of Business, Yeungnam University)
- 허용석 (영남대학교 경영학과)
- Received : 2015.10.12
- Accepted : 2015.12.20
- Published : 2015.12.28
IT SMEs' product planning, product design, and manufacturing capabilities are of importance to creating their sustainable competitive advantages in the context of digital convergence. However, there have been few empirical studies investigating the relationships among them, which has made this research attempt to model the relationships and empirically test them. Especially, this study divided IT SMEs' product design capability into the product exterior and interior design capabilities and focused on the mediating effects of the product exterior and interior design capabilities between the product planning and manufacturing capabilities. By analyzing the 310 samples of Korean IT SMEs with the ordinary least squares regression analysis, this study has empirically revealed that IT SMEs' product exterior and interior design capability jointly and fully mediate the positive relationship between their product planning and manufacturing capabilities.
Digital Convergence;IT SMEs;Product Planning Capability;Product Design Capability;Manufacturing Capability
- P. Trott "Innovation Management and New Product Development: Prentice Hall", 2012.
- W. J. Stevenson, and S. C. Chuong "Operations Management: An Asian Perspective: McGraw-Hill", 2010.
- P. H. Bloch, Seeking the ideal form: Product design and consumer response, Journal of Marketing, Vol. 59, No. 3, pp. 16-29, 1995.
- R. Verganti "Design - driven innovation: changing the rules of competition by radical innovating what things mean: Harvard Business School Publishing Corporation", 2009.
- M. A. Schilling "Strategic Management of Technological Innovation: McGraw-Hill", 2013.
- K. M. Eisenhardt and J. A. Martin , Dynamic Capabilities: What Are They?, Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 21, No. 10/11, pp. 1105-1121, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0266(200010/11)21:10/11<1105::AID-SMJ133>3.0.CO;2-E
- C. L. Wang and P. K. Ahmed, Dynamic capabilities: A review and research agenda, International Journal of Management Reviews, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 31-51, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2370.2007.00201.x
- I. Barreto, Dynamic capabilities: A Review of Past Research and an Agenda for the Future, Journal of Management, Vol. 36, No. 1, pp. 256-280, 2010.
- D. J. Teece, G. Pisano, and A. Shuen, Dynamic Capabilities and Strategic Management, Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 18, No. 7, pp. 509-533, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199708)18:7<509::AID-SMJ882>3.0.CO;2-Z
- D. J. Teece, G. Pisano, and A. Shuen, The Dynamic capabilities of firms: an introduction, Industrial and Corporate Change, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 537-556, 1994.
- S. W. Choi, J. T. Jung, and Y. Y. You, The Effect of Government R&D Subsidies Program Participation Factor for SMEs R&D Performances, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 5, pp. 171-180, 2014.
- J. H. Lee, J. I. Choi, and O. D. Lee, A study on domestic small-medium sized company's case of assimilation with global value chain, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 7, pp. 159-175, 2014.
- K. Y. Song, J. W. Hong, and Y. Y. You, Effects of Consulting Characteristics on SMEs Management Performance - focuing on government supported consulting, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 7, pp. 205-215, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.7.205
- K. D. Jo, and J. W. Kim, Effects of Technology Commercialization Factors on Small and Medium Enterprises Performance, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 9, pp. 83-92, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.9.83
- H. C. Kim, and S. K. Lee, An Empirical Study on the Critical Success Factor of Technological Innovation of Small-Medium Sized enterprises by growth stages - Focusing on the Case Study, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 10, pp. 1-20, 2014.
- B. W. Seo, and S. K. Moon, A Study on the Effectiveness and Policy Improvement of Tax-Aid Systems for Venture Business and Small & Medium Firms, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 173-182, 2014.
- J. W. Han, K. N. Park, and H. S. Lim, Capacity Building Measures of SMEs Employee for Spreading the Creative Economy: For focus on Excavation of Convergence Project, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 607-614, 2014.
- B. C. Kim, The SME Informatization Level Analysis and Design for Privacy, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 121-126, 2015.
- Y. S. Hau, External Information Network Diversity and Production Management Capability in IT SMEs in the Age of Digital Convergence: The Mediating Effect of Manufacturing Capability, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp. 99-104, 2015.
- F. Betz "MANAGING TECHNOLOGICAL INNOVATION: Competitive Advantage from Change: Wiley", 2011.
- W. G. Nickels, J. M. McHugh, and S. M. McHugh "Understanding Business: McGraw Hill", 2012.
- M. Swink, and W. H. Hegarty, Core manufacturing capabilities and their links to product differentiation, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 374-396, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1108/01443579810199748
- M. E. H. Creusen, and J. P. L. Schoormans, The Different Roles of Product Appearance in Consumer Choice, Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 63-81, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0737-6782.2005.00103.x
- P. Fader "Wharton Executive Education Customer Centricity Essentials: Whaton Digital Press", 2012.
- M. E. Sobel, Asymptotic confidence internvals for indirect effects in structural equation models, Sociological Methodology, Vol. 13, pp. 290-312, 1982. https://doi.org/10.2307/270723
- J. Galbreath, Which resources matter the most to firm success? An exploratory study of resource-based theory, Technovation, Vol. 25, No. 9, pp. 979-987, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2004.02.008
- M. A. Peteraf, The cornerstone of competitive advantage: A resource-based view, Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 179-191, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250140303
- J. Barney, Firm resources and sustained competitive advantage, Journal of Management, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 99-120, 1991.
- R. Amit, and P. J. H. Schoemaker, Strategic assets and organizational rents, Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 33-46, 1993.
- R. M. Baron, and D. A. Kenny, The Moderator-Mediator Variable Distinction in Social Psychological Research : Conceptual, Strategic, and Statistical Considerations, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 51, No. 6, pp. 1173-1182, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1243