- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Acceptance Factors for Electronic Medical Record System
- Chun, Je-Ran (Dept. of Medical Administration & Information, Health Institute of Technology)
- 전제란 (대전보건대학 의무행정정보학과)
- Received : 2015.10.13
- Accepted : 2015.12.20
- Published : 2015.12.28
In this paper the factors are analyzed, which influenced on the acceptance of Electronic Medical System (EMR) of healthcare organization in Korea. The measured variables and factors were defined on the base of former research works. The questionnaires with Likert's 5 scale were administrated in the 102 general hospitals in Korea. This data was analyzed with SPSS v. 20. According to the result of factor analysis, the 4 influencing factors were grouped. They are, "ICT-infrastructure of healthcare organization", "Management strategy of healthcare organization", "EMR acceptance" and "EMR-performance". 5 hypotheses about the correlations between factors were formulated and analyzed with structural equation model(SEM). The result of this paper could be the good reference to the healthcare organizations on how they should implement and operate the EMR system.
Electronic Medical Record System;Confirmatory Factor Analysis;Structural Equation Model
- Agarwal, R., Gao, G., DesRoches, C. and Jha, A.K., "The digital transformation of healthcare", Information Systems Research, Vol. 21 No. 4, pp. 796-809, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1100.0327
- AHIMA, Personal Health Record Practice Council., "Helping consumers select PHRs: questions and considerations for navigating an emerging market", Journal of American Health Information Management Association, Vol. 77, pp. 50-56, 2006.
- Angst, C.M., Agarwal, R., Sambamurthy, V. and Kelly, K., "Social contagion and information technology diffusion: the adoption of electronic medical records in US hospitals", Management Science, Vol. 56 No. 8, pp. 1219-41, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1100.1183
- Bates, D., Ebell, M., Gotlieb, E., Zapp, J. and Mullins, H.C., "A proposal for electronic medical records in US primary care", Journal of American Medical Informatics Association, Vol. 10 No. 1, pp. 1-10, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1197/jamia.M1097
- Blunch, N.J., Introduction to Structural Equation Modeling : using IBM SPSS Statistics and AMOS, SAGE, London, 2013.
- Cebul RD, Rebitzer JB, Taylor LJ, Votruba ME., "Organizational fragmentation and care quality in the US healthcare system", Journal of Economic Perspectives. Vol. 22 No. 4, 93-113, 2008.
- Chun Je Ran, "Exploratory study of success factors for u-Heath system and analysis of it's weight", Journal of Digital Policy & Management, Vol. 10, No. 6, pp. 93-98, 2012.
- Finchman, R.G., Kohli, R. and Krishnan, R., "The role of information systems in healthcare: current research and future trends", Information Systems Research, Vol. 22 No. 3, pp. 419-428, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1110.0382
- Fornell C., Larcker D.F., "Evaluating structural equation model with unobservable variables and measurement error", Journal of Marketing Research, 18(Feb): pp. 39-50, 1992.
- Jha, A.K., DesRoches, C.M., Campbell, E.G., Donelan, K., Rao, S.R., Ferris, T.G., Shields, A., Rosenbaum, S. and Blumenthal, D., "Use of electronic medical records in US hospitals", New England Journal of Medicine, Vol. 360 No. 12, pp. 1628-1638, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsa0900592
- Lemire M. "What can be expected of information and communication technologies in terms of patient empowerment in health?", Journal of Health Organization and Management. Vol. 24 No. 2, pp. 167-181, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1108/14777261011047336
- Li, L.X., Benton, W.C. and Keong Leong, G., "The impact of strategic operations management decisions on community hospital performance", Journal of Operations Management, Vol. 20 No. 4, pp. 389-408, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-6963(02)00002-5
- Lewis M, Baxter R, Pouder R. "The development and deployment of electronic personal health records", Journal of Health Organization and Management. Vol. 27 No. 5, pp. 577-600, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1108/JHOM-07-2012-0144
- Simon, S.R., Kaushal, R., Cleary, P.D., Jenter, C.A., Volk, L.A., Poon, E.G., Orav, E.J., Lo, H.G., Williams, D.H. and Bates, D.W., "Correlates of electronic health record adoption in office practices", Journal of American Medical Informatics Association, Vol. 4 No. 1, pp. 110-117, 2007.
- Tang PC, Ash JS, Bates DW, Overhage JM, Sands DZ., "Personal health record: definition, benefits, and strategies for overcoming barriers to adoption", Journal of The American Medical Informatics Association. Vol. 13 N0. 2, pp. 121-126, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1197/jamia.M2025
- Van Beveren, J., "Does health care for knowledge management?", Journal of Knowledge Management, Vol. 7, pp.90-95, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1108/13673270310463644
- Whetstone M, Goldsmith R. "Factors influencing intention to use personal health records", International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Marketing, Vol. 3 No. 1, pp. 8-25, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1108/17506120910948485