- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
A Contribution Analysis of the Increase in 1-2 Person Families on the Income Inequality and the Income Gap
1-2인 가구증가의 소득불평등도와 소득격차에 대한 기여도 분석
- Lim, Byung-In (Dept. of Economics, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Kim, Sung-Tai (Dept. of Economics, Cheongju University) ;
- Jung, Ji-Un (Korea Research Institute for Vocational Education & Training)
- Received : 2015.10.14
- Accepted : 2015.12.20
- Published : 2015.12.28
This paper examines trends of the income inequality index and the income quintile share ratios, using the Household Survey released by Statistics Korea. We discuss their respective effects on total income inequality and the income disparity, as a contribution concept defined in this paper for 1990-2014 periods. Main findings are as follows. First, the contribution of 2-person families to total inequality with the current income or the disposable income becomes bigger, and growth rates have been above 10% since 2003. Second, the contribution of 1-person families to income inequality is greater than that of 2-person families. Policy implication is such that the government had better investigate the 1 or 2 person families in-depth to set up the policy measures for weakening the income inequality.
1-2 Person Families;Household Diversification;Income Inequality;Income Quintile Share Ratio;Deciles Distribution Ratio;Income Gap
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Ji Un Jung, Byung In Lim, and Hu-Hyun Kim, "A Study on the Effect of 1 or 2-membered Household on Total Income Inequality", Korea Journal of Population Studies, 37(2), pp. 71-90, 2014.
- G. Bellu, and P. Liberati, Decomposition of Income Inequality by Subgroups. Policy Impacts on Inequality, 2006.
- Wol-Suk Kang and Hae-Sool Yang, "A Study on Efiicient Policies of solving the Digital Divide for Weak Layers in the Smart Phone Convergence Era", Journal of Digital Convergence, 10(1), pp. 29-38, 2012.
- M. A. Martin,"Family Structure and Income Inequality in Families with Children, 1976 to 2000" Demography 43(3): 421-445, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1353/dem.2006.0025
- D. S. Massey, Categorically Unequal: The American Stratification System New York: Russell Sage Found, 2007.
- B. Western, D. Bloome, and C. Percheski, "Inequality among American Families with Children, 1975 to 2005" American Sociological Review 73(6): 903-920, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1177/000312240807300602
- A. Brandolini and G. D'Alessio, "Household Structure and Income Inequality" Working paper series: Luxembourg Income Study 254: 1-49, 2001.
- A. Piechl, N. Pestel, and H. Schneider, "Does Size Matter? The Impact of Changes in Household Structure on Income Distribution in Germany" Review of Income and Wealth 58(1): 118-141, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-4991.2011.00448.x
- G. Burtless, "Effects of Growing Wage Disparities and Changing Family Composition on the US Income Distribution" European Economic Review 43(4): 853-865, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-2921(98)00099-3
- Jung-ho Ban, "The Effects of Household Composition Variety on Income Inequality ", Social Welfare Policy 38(1): 85-111, 2011. https://doi.org/10.15855/swp.2011.38.1.85
- Moonkil Kim, "Population Structure Change and Income Inequality, Its Policy Implications", Health.Welfare Issue & Focus 214, 2013.
- Myung Jae Sung, Ki-baeg Park, "Effects of Demographic Changes on Income Inequality in Korea", KYONG JE HAK YON GU 57(4), 5-37, 2009.
- Jin Kwon Hyun and Byung In Lim, "An International Comparison of Inequality Decomposition By Factor Components", Journal of Public Economics 5(2), 95-114, 2000.
- Jin Kwon Hyun and Byung In Lim, "Redistributive Effect of Korea's Income Tax and Equity Decomposition", Review of Fiscal Studies, 9(2), 2003.7
- Byung In Lim, "The Redistributive Effect of the Income Tax and the Social Security Systems: Comparison of Korea with U.S.A.", Journal of Public Economics 8(2), 99-126, 2003.
- Byung In Lim, "A Study on the Redistributive Effect of the Income Using the Disaggregation of the Gini Coefficient by Factor Components", Journal of Public Economics 11(2), 37-64, 2006.