- Volume 3 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of Calf Muscle Massage on the Balance
종아리 근육 마사지가 균형에 미치는 효과
- Roh, Hyo-Lyun (Department of Physical therapy, Kangwon National University)
- 노효련 (강원대학교 물리치료학과)
- Received : 20150931
- Accepted : 2015.10.09
- Published : 2015.12.31
Purpose. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effects of calf muscle massage on the balance of low extremities and flexibility of both ankles. Methods. The subjects were 16 healthy adults(men 8, women 8). The group was applied effleurage, tapotement, pressure forms of massage on their calf muscles. The intervention was offered during 3 minutes per one leg, to a total of 6 minutes. We assessed their balance and flexibility of both ankles using Functional reaching test(FRT) and One leg standing test(OLST) with trampoline before and after applying massage. Results. In this study, the data shows the ability of FRT and the ability of OLST with trampoline is improved in massage group. Conclusions. These results suggest that massages help to improve the balance of low extremities and the flexibility of both ankles.
- Burns SB, Burns JL. Massage therapy. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 2000;6(3):217-218. https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2000.6.217
- Kim JH, Kim KS. Effect of kind of massage on stress reduce. Congress of Korean Fashion & costume Design Association, 2010;48-51.
- Ernst E. Complementary and alternative medicine for pain management in rheumatic disease. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2002;14(1):58-62. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002281-200201000-00011
- Eo KH, Shin KM. Therapeutic massage for athlete, Kor J Sports med. 1985;3(1):31-41.
- Shumway-Cook A, Woollacott MH. Motor control: translating research into clinical practice, 3rd ed, Philadelphia, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2007.
- Youm, CH, Kim, TH. Effects of the Muscular fatigue of lower extremities and the blocked vision on postural control During Bipedal Stance. The Korean Journal of Physical Education, 2012;51(2):399-410.
- Winter DA. Human balance and posture control during standing and walking. Gait & Posture, 1995;3:193-214. https://doi.org/10.1016/0966-6362(96)82849-9
- Horak FB. Clinical measurment of postural control in adults, Phys Ther, 1987;67:1881-1885. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/67.12.1881
- Bryan LR, Randy S. The relationship between various modes of single leg postural control assessment. Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2012;7(3):257-266.
- Tyson SF, Desouza LH. Reliability and validity of functional balance tests post stroke. Clin Rehabil, 2004;18(8):916-923. https://doi.org/10.1191/0269215504cr821oa
- Keith EG. Trying Softer in the Business and Practice of Massage. Massage Today, 2007;07(9):22-25.
- Otsuka T, Hirai K, Mori H. Change of intramuscular circulation by commercial massage device. 1990.