- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Self-efficacy, self-image, and image as a dental hygienist of the dental hygiene student
치위생과 학생의 자아효능감, 자아상, 치과위생사의 이미지
- Park, Sung-Suk (Department of Dental Hygiene, Daegu Science University) ;
- Jang, Gye-Won (Department of Dental Hygiene, Jinju Health University) ;
- Seo, Eun-Ju (Department of Dental Hygiene, Jinju Health University)
- Received : 2015.04.20
- Accepted : 2015.12.18
- Published : 2015.12.30
Objectives: The purpose of the study is to investigate self-efficacy, self-image, and image as a dental hygienist of the dental hygiene student. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 479 dental hygiene students in Daegu and Gyeongnam from November 5 to 25, 2014. The questionnaire consisted of self-efficacy(18 items), self-image(23 items), and image as a dental hygienist(36 items) by Likert 5 points scale. Data were analyzed by t test, ANOVA, regression analysis, and post hoc Tukey test using SPSS 20.0 program. Results: The self-efficacy of the first, second, and third grade was 2.72, 2.71, and 2.60, respectively(p<0.002). Those living with family tended to have higher mark than those living without family(p<0.001). The influence of self-efficacy on self image and image as a dental hygienist was positively correlated(p<0.001). Conclusions: The right self-image and self-efficacy of the dental hygiene students can be a powerful influence on the image as a dental hygienist. It is necessary to develop and implement the ethics education for the dental hygiene students.
- Moon HJ, Lee SY, Lim SR. Validity and reliability of the assessment tool for measuring communication skills of dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014; 14(2): 198-206.
- Choi HJ, Bang HJ, Choung EY, Seo YJ. Factors that affect the level of emotional labor in dental Hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014; 14(3): 295-301. http://dx.doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2014.14.3.295. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2014.14.3.295
- Kim KS, Yu MS. Study of the relation between the professional self-concept and the practice performance as dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2004; 4(3): 111-5.
- Arthur D. The development of an instrument for measuring the professional self-concept on nurse[Master's thesis]. Kaelreoheon: Univ. of Newcastle, 1990.
- Jo GH, O HB. A study on the influence of self-efficacy on the occupational stress: in terms of mediation effects of collective efficacy. Korean corporation management review 2013; 8: 175-88.
- Bandura AV. Self-efficacy: Toward a unifying theory of behavioral change. Psychological review 1997; 84(2): 191-215. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0033-295x.84.2.191 https://doi.org/10.1037//0033-295X.84.2.191
- Choi MS, Jang YH, Youn HK. Effect of self-resilience and self-efficiency on the satisfaction with major in dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014; 14(2): 155-62. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.02.155. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.02.155
- Kang BW, Gwak JS, Kwon HS Kwon HS, Kim JS, Lim JY. Dental hygieology 3nd. Seoul; Chunggu Publishing; 2003;11.
- Youn HJ, Jung JO, Lee KH. Dental hygienist image among dental hygiene. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12(4): 781-92. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.4.781. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.4.781
- Hwang MY, Lee SM. A sudy of dental hygienists'. image impressed on the students of dental hygiene department. Bulletin of Dongnam Health College 2003; 21(2): 117-25.
- Park MH, Yang JJ. A study on the nurse's image perceived by nursing college students. J korean acad nurs admin 2002; 8(1): 107-21.
- Jung HJ, Gwak SJ, Kim KH. A study on the professional image of a dental laboratory technician. J Chungang nurs 1998; 2(1): 161-80.
- Kim JS. Won YS, Park SY. A study on self-esteem and turnover intention according to dental hygienist in part of jeonbuk area. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12(2): 307-15. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.2.307. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.2.307
- Kim KS, YU MS. A study of the relation between the professional self-concept and the practice performance as dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2004; 3(11): 111-15.
- Bae JY, Eun JH. The study on relation of dental hygienist's job-stress and self-conception. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2004: 4(2): 209-23.
- Kim MJ, Lee Hy, Lim YI. A study on dental hygienist's image perceived by health allied college students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011; 11(6): 481-7.
- Lee KH, Yoon MS, Ha MO. A study on influential factors for dental hygiene students' image of dental hygienist. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010; 10(5): 831-9.
- Kim JS, Jung EK. Analysis of factors having an effect dental hygienist's image. J Dent Hyg Sci 2007; 13(1): 2007. 1-9.
- Kang BW. A study on the determinant factors the image of dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2006; 6(1): 1-12.
- Kang JK, Kim KM. Study on the professional attitude and the image of dental hygienist in the dental hygiene students.J Dent Hyg Sci 2006; 6(4): 263-9.
- Cha JE. A study for general self-efficacy scale development [Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Ewhawomans, 1996.
- Choi YH. Relationship between adolescent self- image and psychological process variables of home environment [Doctoral dissertation]. Pusan Univ. of Donga, 2003.
- Yoon EJ. A study on the audience subjectivity in post modern condition. Journal of Human Subjectivity 1996; 1(1): 34-92.
- Park SY, Kim JU. A study on the self-efficacy and turnover intention of dental hygienists. J Korean Health Service Management 2013; 7(4): 23-32. http://dx.doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2013.7.4.023
- Jung EK. Effect of self-efficacy in dental hygiene students on the career maturity level. J Korea Acad Industr Coop Soc 2014; 15(12): 7231-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.12.7231 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.12.7231
- Thompson MN, Dahling JJ. Image theory and career aspirations: Indirect and interactive effects of status-related variables. J Vocat Behav 2010; 77: 21-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2010.02.001. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2010.02.001
- Jung EK. The research regarding the self concept of part dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2006; 5(3): 219-28.
- Choi MS, Jang YH, Yun HK. Effect of self-resilience and self-efficiency on the satisfaction with major in dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014; 14(2): 155-62. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.02.15. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.02.155
- Park IS, Kim HJ. Research on some of dental hygiene students' stress over the national examination. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013; 13(4): 659-68. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.659. https://doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.659
- Jung EJ, Yoon MS, Youn HJ. A study on stressors among dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12(2): 131-7.
- Jang SY. A study on family health on ego resiliency in the students of dental hygiene college. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014; 14(1): 74-80.
- HA YJ, Min S, Lim EA. The moderating effect of self-regulatory efficacy in the relationship between self-image and perception of the nurse's image of nursing student. J korean Acad Nurs Edu 2013; 19(3): 405-12. http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.3.405. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.3.405
- Lee KH, Yoon IS, Ha YO. A study on influential factors for dental hygiene students' image of dental hygienist. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010; 10(5): 831-9.
- Lee JW, Moon HJ, Choi MS. The research for the measurement of satisfaction and adaptation of the student of dental hygiene department. Journal of Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society 2009; 10(11): 3451-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762//kais.2009.10.11.3451. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2009.10.11.3451
- Ryu HG, Choi SS. Analysis an opinion of dentists and staff of dental clinic about image of dental hygienist. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2009; 9(1): 113-23.
- Jung SY. A study on family health on ego resiliency in the students of dental hygiene college. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014; 14(2): 74-80.
- Lopez FG, Andrews SA. Family systems perspective. J Soc Action Couns Psychol 1987; 65(2): 304-7.
- Koo KH, Kim SW. The mediating effects of psychological independence on the relationship between family strength and career decision level. J Korean Counseling 2014; 15(5): 2019-33. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.15.5.201410.2019