- Volume 25 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effects of Water and Ethanol Extracts from Four Types of Domestic Seaweeds on Cell Differentiation in 3T3-L1 Cell Line
국내산 해조류 4종의 물과 에탄올 추출물이 3T3-L1에서 지방세포 분화에 미치는 영향
- Oh, Ji-Hyun (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, Jeju National University) ;
- Lee, Yunkyoung (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, Jeju National University)
- Received : 2015.07.15
- Accepted : 2015.12.22
- Published : 2015.12.31
The aim of this study was to examine the cytotoxicity and potential inhibitory effects from four types of edible domestic brown seaweeds, Undaria pinnatifida (UP), Laminaria japonica (LJ), Sargassum fulvellum (SF), and Hizikia fusiforme (HF), on preadipocyte differentiation in 3T3-L1 cell line. Water and ethanol extracts from the four types of seaweeds were prepared and tested for cell viability in the 3T3-L1 cell line by using MTT assay. In addition, various doses of the water extract of seaweeds (WES) and ethanol extract of seaweeds (EES) were treated at the beginning of 3T3-L1 differentiation and continued until the cells were fully differentiated to adipocytes. Oil Red-O staining was performed to determine the potential cell differentiation inhibitory effects of the WES and EES by measuring the levels of lipid droplet accumulation in 3T3-L1 adipocytes.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Athukorala Y, Ahn GN, Jee Y, Kim G, Kim S, Ha J, Kang J, Lee K, Jeon Y (2009) Antiproliferative activity of sulfated polysaccharide isolated from an enzymatic digest of Ecklonia cava on the U-937 cell line. J Appl Phycol 21: 307-314. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10811-008-9368-7
- Choi EO, Kim HS, Han MH, Choi YH, Kim BW, Hwang J, Hwang HJ (2012) Effects of Hizikia fusiforme extracts on adipocyte differentiation and adipogenesis in 3T3-L1 preadipocytes. J of Life Sci 22: 1399-1406. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2012.22.10.1399
- Choi J, Bae H, Kim Y, Park N, Kim T, Choi Y, Choi E, Park S, Choi I (2008) Nutritional composition and biological activities of the methanol extracts of sea mustard (Undaria pinnatifida) in market. J of Life Sci 18: 387-394. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2008.18.3.387
- D'Orazio N, Gemello E, Gammone MA, de Girolamo M, Ficoneri C, Riccioni G (2012) Fucoxantin: A treasure from the sea. Marine Drugs 10: 604-616. https://doi.org/10.3390/md10030604
- Davis TA, Volesky B, Mucci A (2003) A review of the biochemistry of heavy metal biosorption by brown algae. Water Res 37: 4311-4330. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(03)00293-8
- Green H, Meuth M (1974) An established pre-adipose cell line and its differentiation in culture. Cell 3: 127-133. https://doi.org/10.1016/0092-8674(74)90116-0
- Gregoire FM (2001) Adipocyte differentiation: From fibroblast to endocrine cell. Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 226: 997-1002. https://doi.org/10.1177/153537020122601106
- Jang WS, Choung SY (2013) Antiobesity effects of the ethanol extract of Laminaria japonica Areshoung in high-fat-dietinduced obese rat. Evidence-Based Compl and Alter Med 2013: 1-17.
- Jung B, Ahn C, Kang S, Park J, Chung D (2001) Effects of Hijikia fusiforme extracts on lipid metabolism and liver antioxidative enzyme activities in triton-induced hyperlipidemic rats. J Kor Soc of Food Sci Nutr 30: 1184-1189.
- Kang S, Jin Y, Ko H, Choi S, Hwang J, Whang I, Kim M, Shin H, Jeong H, Kim S (2008) Petalonia improves glucose homeostasis in streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 373: 265-269. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2008.06.015
- Kang S, Kim M, Shin H, Kim H, Hong Y, Park J, Ko H, Lee N, Chung W, Kim S (2010) A water-soluble extract of Petalonia binghamiae inhibits the expression of adipogenic regulators in 3T3-L1 preadipocytes and reduces adiposity and weight gain in rats fed a high-fat diet. J Nutr Biochem 21: 1251-1257. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2009.11.008
- Kang S, Heo S, Kim K, Lee S, Jeon Y (2012) Isolation and identification of new compound, 2,7″-phloroglucinol-6, 6′-bieckol from brown algae, Ecklonia cava and its antioxidant effect. J of Functional Foods 4: 158-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jff.2011.10.001
- Kim K, Lee O, Lee B (2010) Fucoidan, a sulfated polysaccharide, inhibits adipogenesis through the mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway in 3T3-L1 preadipocytes. Life Sci 86: 791-797. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2010.03.010
- Koo J, Choi Y, Kwak J (2001) Blood-anticoagulant activity of fucoidans from sporophylls of Undaria pinnatifida, Laminaria religiosa, Hizikia fusiforme and Sargassum fulvellum in Korea. Kor J of Fisher and Aquatic Sci 34: 515-520.
- Lee Y, Yoon B, Choi H, Lee B, Lee O (2012) Effect of Sargassum micracanthum extract on lipid accumulation and reactive oxygen species (ROS) production during differentiation of 3T3-L1 preadipocytes. Kor J of Food Preser 19: 455-461. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2012.19.3.455
- Lee Y, Thompson JT, de Lera AR, Heuvel JPV (2009) Isomerspecific effects of conjugated linoleic acid on gene expression in RAW 264.7. J Nutr Biochem 20: 848-859.e5.
- Lim J, Jung K, Lee J, Jung E, Kim, D, Kim Y, Kim Y, Park D (2008) The study on antimicrobial and antifungal activity of the wild seaweeds of Jeju island. J of Soc Cos Sci of Kor 34: 201-207.
- Maeda H, Hosokawa M, Sashima T, Takahashi N, Kawada T, Miyashita K (2006) Fucoxanthin and its metabolite, fucoxanthinol, suppress adipocyte differentiation in 3T3-L1 cells. Int J Mol Med 18: 147-152.
- Miyata M, Koyama T, Kamitani T, Toda T, Yazawa K (2009) Anti-obesity effect on rodents of the traditional Japanese food, tororokombu, shaved laminaria. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 73: 2326-2328. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.90344
- Mokdad AH, Ford ES, Bowman BA, Dietz WH, Vinicor F, Bales VS, Marks JS (2003) Prevalence of obesity, diabetes, and obesity-related health risk factors, 2001. JAMA 289: 76-79.
- Mosmann T (1983) Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: Application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods 65: 55-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1759(83)90303-4
- Noda H, Amano H, Arashima K, Nisizawa K (1990) Antitumor activity of marine algae. Hydrobiologia 204: 577-584.
- O'Sullivan L, Murphy B, McLoughlin P, Duggan P, Lawlor PG, Hughes H, Gardiner GE (2010) Prebiotics from marine macroalgae for human and animal health applications. Marine Drugs 8: 2038-2064. https://doi.org/10.3390/md8072038
- Ramirez-Zacarias J, Castro-Munozledo F, Kuri-Harcuch W (1992) Quantitation of adipose conversion and triglycerides by staining intracytoplasmic lipids with oil red O. Histochemistry 97: 493-497. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00316069
- Ren D, Noda H, Amano H, Nishino T, Nishizawa K (1994) Study on antihypertensive and antihyperlipidemic effects of marine algae. Fisheries Science 60: 83-88. https://doi.org/10.2331/fishsci.60.83
- Shahidi F (2009) Nutraceuticals and functional foods: Whole versus processed foods. Trends Food Sci Technol 20: 376-387. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2008.08.004
- Teas J, Vena S, Cone DL, Irhimeh M (2013) The consumption of seaweed as a protective factor in the etiology of breast cancer: Proof of principle. J Appl Phycol 25: 771-779. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10811-012-9931-0
- Wijesekara I, Pangestuti R, Kim S (2011) Biological activities and potential health benefits of sulfated polysaccharides derived from marine algae. Carbohydr Polym 84: 14-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2010.10.062
- Wijesinghe W, Jeon Y (2012) Biological activities and potential industrial applications of fucose rich sulfated polysaccharides and fucoidans isolated from brown seaweeds: A review. Carbohydr Polym 88: 13-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2011.12.029
- Xu H, Barnes GT, Yang Q, Tan G, Yang D, Chou CJ, Sole J, Nichols A, Ross JS, Tartaglia LA, Chen H (2003) Chronic inflammation in fat plays a crucial role in the development of obesity-related insulin resistance. J Clin Invest 112: 1821-1830. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI200319451