- Volume 21 Issue 4
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to identify the type of sexual assertiveness of female adolescents. Methods: A Q methodology which provided a method of analyzing the subjectivity of each type was used. Thirty-three female high school students classified 40 selected Q statements into 9 points standard. The collected data was analyzed by using the PC-QUNAL program. Results: Four types of sexual assertiveness manifested by female adolescents were identified: Type 1: Self-normative line-drawing type, Type 2: Pleasure-seeking negotiation type, Type 3: Passive relationship maintenance type, Type 4: future-oriented satisfaction-delay type. Conclusion: This study is meaningful because it provides empirical information necessary for the development of theories by verifying integrated attributes related to the female adolescents' sexual assertiveness. Results also induced the measuring tools and succeeding studies, and presented educational material for sex education that is tailored to the developmental level and characteristics of female adolescents.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. Comprehensive survey on adolescents' exposure to harmful environment in 2008 [Internet]. Seoul: Minister of Health and Welfare; 2009 [cited 2009 March 17]. Available from: http://www.mohw.go.kr/front_new/jb/sjb030301vw.jsp
- Kimbaek AR. Sexualized teenagers' sex culture and peer sexual violence. Anti-Sexual Violence. 2010;1:43-47
- Suh KH. The moderate effect of gender on the relationship between domestic violence and dating violence among high school and college students. Korean Journal of Health Psychology. 2004;9(1):147-162.
- Whyte J. Sexual assertiveness in low income African American women: Unwanted sex, survival, and HIV risk. Journal of Community Health Nursing. 2006;23(4):235-244. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327655jchn2304_4
- Son SY, Lim SM. The relationship between adult attachment and consent to unwanted sex: The mediating effects of selfesteem and sexual assertiveness. Journal of Student Guidance Research. 2011;17(2):17-36.
- Kim JH. Conflicts and negotiations in teenage girls seen through experience of intersexual activity [master's thesis]. Seoul: Sookmyung Women's University; 2006.
- Kong MH. Sexual scripting of sexual behaviors among adolescent women who have participated in 'compensated dates'. Family and Culture. 2003;15(3):135-156.
- Chang SB, Lee SK, Kim YR. Effects of a sexual assertiveness training program in high school girls. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2003;33(5):659-667. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.5.659
- Kang DS. A study on the development of sexual self-determination program for high school student through reality therapy and its effects [master's thesis]. Cheongju: Korea National University of Education; 2005.
- Korea Women Link. Assertive sexuality, safe sex, owned body, pleasant sex. Seoul: Korea Women Link, Family and sex counselling of Korea; 2001.
- Gullette DL, Wright PB, Booth BM, Feldman Z, Stewart KE. Stages of change, decisional balance, and self-efficacy in condom use among rural African-American stimulant users. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care. 2009;20(6):428-441. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jana.2009.04.003
- Morokoff PJ, Quina K, Harlow LL, Whitmire L, Grimley DM, Gibson PR, et al. Sexual assertiveness scale for women: Development and validation. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 1997;73(4):790-804. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1990
- Turchik JA, Probst DR, Chau M, Nigoff A, Gidycz CA. Factors predicting the type of tactics used to resist sexual assault: A prospective study of college women. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 2007;75(4):605-614. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.75.4.605
- Brcar P, Zvezdna Dernovsek M. Validation of questionnaire estimating predictors of behavior intention to engage in first sexual intercourse among eighth-grade pupils. Croatian Medical Journal. 2009;50(5):483-491. https://doi.org/10.3325/cmj.2009.50.483
- Salazar LF, DiClemente RJ, Wingood GM, Crosby RA, Harrington K, Davies S, et al. Self concept and adolescents' refusal of unprotected sex: A test of mediating mechanisms among African American girls. Prevention Science. 2004;5(3):137-149. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:PREV.0000037638.20810.01
- Ministry of Education and Human Resources. Sexual issues to be resolved with concerted effort [Internet]. Seoul: Ministry of Education and Human Resources; 2001 [cited 2001 May 29]. Available from: http://library.moe.go.kr.
- Kim HG. Q-methodology: Philosophy, theories, analysis, and application. Seoul: Communications Books; 2009.
- Lee SK. Relationship between the level of sexual contacts and self-esteem, self-assertiveness of teenage girls who have or had boyfriends. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2001;7(2):212-228.
- Rickert VI, Sanghvi R, Wiemann CM. Is lack of sexual assertiveness among adolescent and young adult women a cause for concern? Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health. 2002;34(4):178-183. https://doi.org/10.2307/3097727
- Twenge JM. Changes in women's assertiveness in response to status and roles: A cross-temporal meta-analysis, 1931-1993. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 2001;81(1):133-145. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.52
- Bazargan M, Stein JA, Bazargan-Hejazi S, Hindman DW. Using the information-motivation behavioral model to predict sexual behavior among underserved minority youth. Journal of School Health. 2010;80(6):287-295. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1746-1561.2010.00503.x
- Hulton LJ. The application of the Transtheoretical Model of Change to adolescent sexual decision-making. Issues in Comprehensive Pediatric Nursing. 2001;24(2):95-115. https://doi.org/10.1080/01460860118376
- Norris J, Masters NT, Zawacki T. Cognitive mediation of women's sexual decision making: The influence of alcohol, contextual factors, and background variables. Annual Review of Sex Research. 2004;15:258-296.
- Pulerwitz J, Amaro H, De Jong W, Gortmaker SL, Rudd R. Relationship power, condom use and HIV risk among women in the USA. AIDS Care. 2002;14(6):789-800. https://doi.org/10.1080/0954012021000031868