- Volume 11 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Performance Comparison of HEVC and H.264/AVC Standards in Broadcasting Environments
- Dissanayake, Maheshi B. (Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Peradeniya) ;
- Abeyrathna, Dilanga L.B. (Dept. of Statistical and Computer Science, Faculty of Science, University of Peradeniya)
- Received : 2015.01.16
- Accepted : 2015.07.16
- Published : 2015.09.30
High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) is the most recent video codec standard of the ITU-T Video Coding Experts Group and the ISO/IEC Moving Picture Experts Group. The main goal of this newly introduced standard is for catering to high-resolution video in low bandwidth environments with a higher compression ratio. This paper provides a performance comparison between HEVC and H.264/AVC video compression standards in terms of objective quality, delay, and complexity in the broadcasting environment. The experimental investigation was carried out using six test sequences in the random access configuration of the HEVC test model (HM), the HEVC reference software. This was also carried out in similar configuration settings of the Joint Scalable Video Module (JSVM), the official scalable H.264/AVC reference implementation, running on a single layer mode. According to the results obtained, the HM achieves more than double the compression ratio compared to that of JSVM and delivers the same video quality at half the bitrate. Yet, the HM encodes two times slower (at most) than JSVM. Hence, it can be concluded that the application scenarios of HM and JSVM should be judiciously selected considering the availability of system resources. For instance, HM is not suitable for low delay applications, but it can be used effectively in low bandwidth environments.
- I. E. Richardson, The H.264 Advanced Video Compression Standard. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons, 2010.
- Z. Milicevic and Z. Bojkovic, "Recent developments in multimedia video coding technology standardization process," in Proceedings of 30th Simpozijum o novim tehnologijama u postanskom i telekomunikacionom saobracaju (PosTel 2012), Beograd, Serbia, 2012, pp. 213-222.
- D. Marpe, T. Wiegand, and G. J. Sullivan, "The H.264/MPEG4 advanced video coding standard and its applications," IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 134-143, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCOM.2006.1678121
- G. Sullivan and K. Suhring, "Joint Scalable Video Model (JSVM) 9.18," JVT of ITU-T VCEG and ISO/IECMPEG.
- F. Bross, W. J. Han, G. J. Sullivan, J. R. Ohm, and T. Wiegand, "High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) text specification draft 9," in 11th Meeting: Joint Collaborative Team on Video Coding (JCT-VC) of ITU-T SG 16 and ISI/IEC JTC 1/SC 29/WG 11, Shanghai, China, 2012, document JCTVC-K1003.
- J. Vieron, "HEVC: High-Efficiency Video Coding," in presented at the World Broadcasting Unions' International Satellite Operations Group (WBU-ISOG) Forum, Geneva, 2012.
- J. R. Ohm, G. J. Sullivan, H. Schwarz, T. K. Tan, and T. Wiegand, "Comparison of the coding efficiency of video coding standards: including high efficiency video coding (HEVC)," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1669-1684, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2012.2221192
- F. Bossen, D. Flynn, and K. Suhring, "HM software manual," in 12th Meeting: Joint Collaborative Team on Video Coding (JCT-VC) of ITU-T SG16 WP3 and ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29/WG 11, Geneva, 2013.
- J. Nightingale, Q. Wang, and C. Grecos, "HEVStream: a framework for streaming and evaluation of high efficiency video coding (HEVC) content in loss-prone networks," IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 404-412, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2012.6227440
- K. Zeng, A. Rehman, J. Wang, and Z. Wang, "From H.264 to HEVC: coding gain predicted by objective video quality assessment models," in Proceedings of International Workshop on Video Processing and Quality Metrics for Consumer Electronics (VPQM2013), Scottsdale, AZ, 2013, pp. 1-6.
- J. Vanne, M. Viitanen, T. D. Hamalainen, and A. Hallapuro, "Comparative rate-distortion-complexity analysis of HEVC and AVC video codecs," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1885-1898, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2012.2223013
- Z. Milicevic and Z. Bojkovic, "HEVC vs. H.264/AVC through performance and complexity comparison," in Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Applications of Computer Engineering (ACE'14), Lisbon, Portugal, 2014, pp. 58-61.
- F. Bossen, B. Bross, K. Sühring, and D. Flynn, "HEVC complexity and implementation analysis," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1685-1696, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2012.2221255
- G. Correa, P. Assuncao, L. Agostini, and L. da Silva Cruz, "Performance and computational complexity assessment of high-efficiency video encoders," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1899-1909, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2012.2223411
- G. J. Sullivan, J. R. Ohm, W. J. Han, and T. Wiegand, "Overview of the high efficiency video coding (HEVC) standard," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1649-1668, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2012.2221191
- R. Sjoberg, Y. Chen, A. Fujibayashi, M. M. Hannuksela, J. Samuelsson, T. K. Tan, Y. K. Wang, and S. Wenger, "Overview of HEVC high-level syntax and reference picture management," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1858-1870, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2012.2223052
- F. Bossen, "Common HM test conditions and software reference configurations," in 12th Meeting: Joint Collaborative Team on Video Coding (JCT-VC) of ITU-T SG16 WP3 and ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29/WG 11, Geneva, 2013, document JCTVC-L1100.
- I. K. Kim, K. McCann, K. Sugimoto, B. Bross, and W. J. Han, "High efficiency video coding (HEVC) test model 8 (HM 8) encoder description," in 10th Meeting: Joint Collaborative Team on Video Coding (JCT-VC) of ITU-TSG 16 and ISI/IEC JTC 1/SC 29/WG 11, Stockholm, Sweden, 2012, document JCTVC-J1002.
- A method to reduce the complexity of conditional replenishment algorithm for hybrid 3DTV with mixed resolution vol.76, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11042-016-3324-3