- Volume 3 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Influence of silver nanoparticles on the photovoltaic parameters of silicon solar cells
- Dzhafarov, Tayyar D. (Institute of Physics, Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences) ;
- Pashaev, Arif M. (National Aviation Academy of Azerbaijan Airlines) ;
- Tagiev, Bahadur G. (National Aviation Academy of Azerbaijan Airlines) ;
- Aslanov, Shakir S. (Institute of Physics, Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences) ;
- Ragimov, Shirin H. (Institute of Physics, Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences) ;
- Aliev, Akper A. (National Aviation Academy of Azerbaijan Airlines)
- Received : 2015.06.09
- Accepted : 2015.11.30
- Published : 2015.09.25
Influence of Ag nanoparticles on optical and photovoltaic properties of, silicon substrates, silicon solar cells and glass have been investigated. Silver nanoparticles have been fabricated by evaporation of thin Ag layers followed by the thermal annealing. The surface plasmon resonance peak was observed in the absorbance spectrum at 470 nm of glass with deposited silver nanoparticles. It is demonstrated that deposition of silver nanoparticles on silicon substrates was accompanied with a significant decrease in reflectance at the wavelength 360-1100 nm and increase of the absorption at wavelengths close to the band gap for Si substrates. We studied influence of Ag nanoparticles on photovoltaic characteristics of silicon solar cells without and with common use antireflection coating (ARC). It is shown that silver nanoparticles deposited onto the front surface of the solar cells without ARC led to increase in the photocurrent density by 39% comparing to cells without Ag nanoparticles. Contrary to this, solar cells with Ag nanoparticles deposited on front surface with ARC discovered decrease in photocurrent density. The improved performance of investigated cells was attributed to Ag-plasmonic excitations that reduce the reflectance from the silicon surface and ultimately leads to the enhanced light absorption in the cell. This study showed possibility of application of Ag nanoparticles for the improvement of the conversion efficiency of waferbased silicon solar cells instead of usual ARC.
- Agnihotri, O.P. and Gupta, B.K. (1981), Solar Selective Surfaces, John Wiley, New York.
- Atwater, H. and Polman, A. (2010), "Plasmonics for improved photovoltaic devices", Nature Mater., 9, 205-213. https://doi.org/10.1038/nmat2629
- Catchpole, K.R. and Polman, A. (2008), "Plasmonic solar cells", Opt. Express, 16(26), 21793-21800. https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.16.021793
- Chen, X., Jia, B., Saha, J.K., Cai, B., Stokes, N., Qiao, Q., Wang, Y., Shi, Z. and Gu, M. (2012), "Broad enhancement in thin-film amorphous silicon solar cells enabled by nucleated silver nanoparticles", Nano Lett., 12(5) 2187-2192.
- Cortes-Juan, F., Chaverri Ramos, C., Connoly, J.P., David, C., Garcia de Abajo, F.J., Hurtado, J., Mihailetchi, V.D., Ponce-Alcantara, S. and Sanches, G. (2013), "Effect of Ag nanoparticles integrated within antireflection coatings for solar cells", J. Renew. Sustain. Energy, 5(3), 033116. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4808259
- Derkacs, D., Lim, S.H., Matheu, P., Mar, W. and Yu, E.T. (2006), "Improved performance of amorphous silicon solar cells via scattering from surface plasmon polaritons in nearby metallic nanoparticles", Appl. Phys. Lett., 89(9), 093103. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.2336629
- Dzhafarov, T.D., Aslanov, S.S., Ragimov, S.H., Sadigov, M.S. and AydinYuksel, S. (2012), "Effect of nanoporous silicon coating on silicon solar cell performance", Vacuum, 86(12), 1875-1879. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vacuum.2012.04.042
- Fano, U. (1961), "Effect of configuration interaction on intensities and phase shifts", Phys. Rev., 124, 1866-1878. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRev.124.1866
- Giannini, V., Francescato, Y., Amrania, H., Phillips, C.C. and Maier, S.A. (2011), "Fano resonances in nanoscale plasmonic systems: a parameter-free modeling approach", Nano Lett., 11(7), 2835-2840. https://doi.org/10.1021/nl201207n
- Green, M.A. (2007), "Thin film solar cells: review of materials, technologies and commercial status", J. Mater. Sci., Mater. Electron., 18(10), S15-S19. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10854-007-9177-9
- Ho, W., Lee, Y. and Su, S. (2014), "External quantum efficiency response of thin silicon solar cell based on plasmonic scattering of indium and silver nanoparticles", Nanos. Res. Lett., 9, 483. https://doi.org/10.1186/1556-276X-9-483
- Jung, J., Ha, K., Cho, J., Ahn, S., Park, H., Hussain, S.Q., Choi, M. and Yi, J. (2013), "Enhancing light trapping of thin film solar cells by plasmonic effect of silver", J. Nanosci. Nanotechnol., 13, 7860-7864. https://doi.org/10.1166/jnn.2013.8130
- Kim, J., (2007), "Formation of a porous silicon anti-reflection layer for a silicon solar cell", J. Korean Phys. Soc., 50(4), 1168. https://doi.org/10.3938/jkps.50.1168
- Lang, R. and Zeman, M. (2010), "A-Si:H solar cells with embedded silver nanoparticles", Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (PVSC), June.
- Maity, S., Roy, S. and Kumar, A. (2013), "Silver nanoparticles to enhance the efficiency of silicon solar cell", Intern. J. Eng. Sci. Inv., 2(7) 101-104.
- Pillai, S., Catchpole, K.R., Trupke, T. and Green, M.A. (2007), "Surface plasmon enhanced silicon solar cells", J. Appl. Phys., 101(9), 093105. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.2734885
- Santbergen, R., Tan, H., Pfeiffer, T., Li, X., Frijnts, T., Smets, A., Schmidt-Ott, A. and Zeman, M. (2012), "Plasmonic solar cells with embedded silver nanoparticles from vapor condensation", Proc. MRS Fall Meet., 1391.
- Templem T.L., Mahanamam G.D.K., Reeham H.S. and Bagnallm D.M. (2009), "Influence of localized surface plasmon excitation in silver nanoparticles on the performance of silicon solar cells", Solar Energy Mater. Sol. Cell., 93(11), 1978-1985. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solmat.2009.07.014
- Thouti, E., Chander, N., Dutta, V. and Komarala, V.K. (2013), "Optical properties of Ag nanoparticles layers deposited on silicon substrates", J. Opt., 15(3), 035005. https://doi.org/10.1088/2040-8978/15/3/035005
- Winans, J.D., Hungerford, C., Shome, K., Rothberg, L.J. and Fauchet, P.M. (2015), "Plasmonic effects in ultrathin amorphous silicon solar cells: performance improvements with Ag nanoparticles on the front, the back, and both", Opt. Express, 23(3), A92-A105. https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.23.000A92
- Yun, J., Kim, J., Kojori, H.S., Tong, C. and Anderson, W.A. (2013), "Current enhancement of aluminum doped ZnO/n-Si isotype heterojunction solar cells by embedding silver nanoparticle", J. Nanosci. Nanotechnol., 13(8), 5547-5551. https://doi.org/10.1166/jnn.2013.7489
- Pulsed laser annealing of high-dose Ag+-ion implanted Si layer vol.51, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6463/aa9948
- Effect of mono- and bimetallic nanoparticles Fe, Ni, & Fe/Ni based on carbon nanocomposites on electrocatalytic properties of anodes vol.151, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/151/1/012023
- The Effect of Pulsed Laser Radiation on a Si Layer with a High Dose of Implanted Ag+ Ions vol.125, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1134/S0030400X18100065