- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Full-scale experimental verification on the vibration control of stay cable using optimally tuned MR damper
- Huang, Hongwei (State Key Laboratory for Disaster Reduction in Civil Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Liu, Jiangyun (China Resources Land (Wuhan) Limited) ;
- Sun, Limin (Department of Bridge Engineering, Tongji University)
- Received : 2013.10.23
- Accepted : 2015.09.17
- Published : 2015.12.25
MR dampers have been proposed for the control of cable vibration of cable-stayed bridge in recent years due to their high performance and low energy consumption. However, the highly nonlinear feature of MR dampers makes them difficult to be designed with efficient semi-active control algorithms. Simulation study has previously been carried out on the cable-MR damper system using a semi-active control algorithm derived based on the universal design curve of dampers and a bilinear mechanical model of the MR damper. This paper aims to verify the effectiveness of the MR damper for mitigating cable vibration through a full-scale experimental test, using the same semi-active control strategy as in the simulation study. A long stay cable fabricated for a real bridge was set-up with the MR damper installed. The cable was excited under both free and forced vibrations. Different test scenarios were considered where the MR damper was tuned as passive damper with minimum or maximum input current, or the input current of the damper was changed according to the proposed semi-active control algorithm. The effectiveness of the MR damper for controlling the cable vibration was assessed through computing the damping ratio of the cable for free vibration and the root mean square value of acceleration of the cable for forced vibration.
Supported by : Ministry of Science and Technology of China
- Beck, J.L. (1989), "Statistical system identification of structures", Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Structural Safety and Reliability (ICOSSAR'89), 1395-1402, San Francisco, CA, USA, Aug. 7-11.
- Chen, Z.Q., Ni, Y.Q. and Gao, Z.M. (2001), "Application of MR damper for mitigating wind-rain induced cable vibration of cable-stayed bridge", Proceedings of the 10th China Wind Engineering Conference, Guilin, China. (in Chinese)
- Christenson, R.E., Spencer, B.F. and Johnson, E.A (2006). "Experimental verification of smart cable damping", J. Eng. Mech. - ASCE, 132(3), 268-278. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2006)132:3(268)
- Duan, Y.F., Ni Y.Q. and Ko, J.M. (2006), "Cable vibration control using magnetorheological dampers", J. Intell. Mat. Syst. Str., 17(4), 321-325. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X06054997
- Dyke, S.J, Spencer Jr, B.F., Sain, M.K. and Carlson, J.D. (1998), "An experimental study of MR dampers for seismic protection", J. Smart Mater. Struct., 7(5), 693-703. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/7/5/012
- Huang, H.W., Sun, L.M. and Jiang, X.L. (2012), "Vibration mitigation of stay cable using optimally tuned MR damper", Smart Struct. Syst., 9(1), 35-53. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2012.9.1.035
- M. Irvine (1981), Cable Structure, Cambridge, Massachusetts, The MIT Press.
- Johnson, E.A. Baker, G.A., Spencer Jr. B.F. and Fujino, Y. (2007), "Semiactive damping of stay cables", J. Eng. Mech. - ASCE, 133(1), 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2007)133:1(1)
- Krenk, S. (2000), "Vibration of a taut cable with an external damper", J. Appl. Mech. - T ASME, 67(4), 772-776. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1322037
- Li, H., Liu, M., Li, J.H., Guan, X.C. and Ou, J.P. (2007), "Vibration control of stay cables of the Shandong Binzhou Yellow River Highway Bridge using magnetorheological fluid dampers", J. Bridge Eng. - ASCE, 12(4), 401-409. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2007)12:4(401)
- Liu, M., Li, H., Li, J.H., Guan, X.C. and Ou, J.P. (2006), "Experimental investigation on vibration control of one stay cable using one magnetorheological fluid damper", Proc. Of SPIE: Smart Structures and Materials 2006, Vol. 6174, San Diego, CA, USA, Feb. 26-Mar. 2, on CD.
- Ni, Y.Q., Chen, Y., Ko, J.M. et al. (2002), "Neuro-control of cable vibration using semi-active magnetorheological dampers", Eng. Struct., 24(3), 295-307. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(01)00096-7
- Pacheco, B.M, Fujino, Y. and Sulekh, A. (1993). "Estimation curve for modal damping in stay cables with viscous damper", J. Struct. Eng. - ASCE, 119(6), 1961-1979. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1993)119:6(1961)
- Spencer, B.F, Dyke, S.J, Sain, M.K. and Carlson, J.D. (1997). "Phenomenological model for magnetorheological dampers", J. Eng. Mech. - ASCE, 123(3), 230-238. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1997)123:3(230)
- Wang, X.Y., Chen, Z.Q., Ni, Y.Q. and Gao, Z.M. (2003), "Vibration control of stay cable using MR damper", China J. Highway Transport, 16(2), 52-56. (in Chinese)
- Weber, F., Fobo, W. and Distl, H. (2007a), "Damping of several single mode vibrations with linear viscous dampers", Proceedings of the IABSE Conference 2007, Weimar, Germany, Sep.19-21, on CD.
- Weber, F., Distl, H. and Feltrin, G. (2007b), "Damping of stay cables by controlled friction type dampers", Proceedings of the IABSE Conference 2007, Weimar, Germany, Sep.19-21,on CD.
- Weber, F., Distl, H., Hube, P., Nutzel, O. and Motavalli, M. (2007c), "Design, implementation and field test on the adaptive damping system of the Franjo Tudjman Bridge nearby Dubrovnik, Croatia", Proceedings of the IABSE Conference 2007, Weimar, Germany, Sep.19-21, on CD.
- Weber, F., Distl, H., Feltrin, G. and Motavalli, G. (2005), "Simplified approach of velocity feedback for MR dampers on real cable-stayed bridges", Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Cable Dynamics, AIM, Charleston, SC, USA, Sep.19-22, on CD.
- Wu, W.J. and Cai, C.S. (2006), "Experimental study of magnetorheological dampers and application to cable vibration control", J. Vib. Control, 12(1), 67-82. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077546306061128
- Wu, Z.H., Lou, W.J., Chen, Y., Chen, Y.Y., Tang, J.C. and Sun, B.N. (2004), "Simplified model of MR damper and its application", J. Disaster Prevention Mitigation Eng., 24(2), 210-213. (in Chinese)
- Semi-active control of smart building-MR damper systems using novel TSK-Inv and max-min algorithms vol.18, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2016.18.5.1005