- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Correlation between Convergence Insufficiency with CISS and Attentiveness in Children
어린이에서 CISS를 이용한 폭주부족과 주의집중력의 상관관계
- Ko, Eun Jeong (Dept. of Optometry, Graduate School of Health and Welfare, Baekseok University) ;
- Kim, Hyojin (Dept. of Optometry, Graduate School of Health and Welfare, Baekseok University)
- Received : 2015.11.04
- Accepted : 2015.12.12
- Published : 2015.12.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study is to evaluate correlation between convergence insufficiency and concentration by evaluating attentiveness in children who have convergence insufficiency symptoms. Methods: The CISS survey and examination for the near point of convergence were conducted to 74 in children aged 12 to 13 years in order to divide them into a normal binocular vision (NBV) and a convergence insufficiency (CI) group. The attentiveness examination was used to all subjects to figure out their emotional problems, hyperactivity and impulsiveness problems, and managerial or functional problems with a 5-point scale. Correlation between convergence insufficiency-related symptoms included in CISS and attentiveness problems was analyzed. Results: there were 29 children (39.2%) in the CI group, the mean scores of CISS of the NBV and CI group were
- Evans BJ. The need for optometric investigation in suspected Meares-Irlen syndrome or visual stress. Ophthamic Physiol Opt. 2005;25(4):363-370. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-1313.2005.00289.x
- Lee H, Rhee KO. Prevalence of general binocular dysfunctions in a population of college students. Korean J Vis Sci. 2004;6(1):77-85.
- Marran LF, Deland PN, Nguyen AL. Accommadative insufficiency is the primary source of symptoms in children diagnosed with convergence insufficiency. Optom Vis Sci. 2006;83(5):281-289. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.opx.0000216097.78951.7b
- Mar KC, Jang MH, Kim JD. Clinical management of binocular vision, 1st Ed. Seoul: Daihakseolim, 2009;293-343.
- Shin HS, Jang JK, Park SC. Test-retest reliability assesment of the Korean version of CISS. Korean J Vis Sci. 2011;13(4):295-303.
- Park CW, Kim HJ. Convergence insufficiency symptom survey in children. Korean J Vis Sci. 2015;17(1):31-37.
- Scheiman M, Mitchell GL, Cotter S, Kulp MT, Cooper J, Rouse M et al. A randomized clinical trial of vision therapy. orthoptics versus pencil pushups for the treatment of convergence insufficiency in young adults. Optom Vis Sci. 2005;82(7):583-595. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.opx.0000171331.36871.2f
- Choi CO. The effect of attention concentration training program on the ADHD children's attention concentration and impulsiveness. Master Thesis. Catholic University of Korea, Bucheon. 2000;569-573
- Anshel J. Visual ergonomics in the workplace, 8th Ed. Philadelphia: Taylorand Francis, 1998;18-19.
- Choi SM, Lee SW. Case study of convergence insufficiency in vision training. Korean J Vis Sci. 2007;9(4):451-457.
- Borsting EJ, Rouse MW, Mitchell GY, Scheiman M, Cotter SA, Cooper J et al. Validity and reliability of the revised convergence insufficiency symptom survey in children aged 9 to 18 years. Optom Vis Sci 2003;80(12):832-838. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006324-200312000-00014
- David BE. Clinical procedures in primary eye care, 3rd ed. London; Butterworth-Heinemann, 2007;47-49.
- Kim HY. A preliminary study on reliability and validity of the conners adult ADHD rating scales-Korean version in college students. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology. 2005;24(1):171-185.
- Jang SW. The effects of magic education on the attention concentration improvement of elementary school students. Master thesis. Gachon University of Education, Seongnam. 2013;18-25.
- Kim YM. The effects of meditation training program on children's emotional stability and attentiveness. Master thesis. Seoul National University, Seoul. 2007.
- Shin JA, Lee OJ. Relationship between subjective symptoms with near work and binocular function. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2007;12(3):125-130.
- Kim YM, Kim JY. The effects of meditation program on children's emotional stability and attentiveness. The Journal of Elementary Education Studies. 2007;14(1);1-25.
- Kim BC, Park JD. The effects of trataka a meditation on concentration and personility. Journal of Student Guidance. 1994;7(1):27-49.
- Kwak SY. A study on development of attention test instrument and its validity. Master thesis. Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul. 1998;6-11.
- Shin HO. A study of reason on attention deficit hyperactivity children's academic underachievement. PhD Thesis. Sungshin Women's University, Seoul. 2002;11-30.
- Vaughn W, Maples WC, Hoenes R. The association between vision quality of life and academics as measured by the College of Optometrists in Vision Development Quality of Life questionnaire. Optometry. 2006;77(3):116-123. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optm.2006.01.004
- Richman JE, Cron MT. Guide to vision therapy. South Bend, IN: Bernell Corporation. 1989.
- Influence of Different Diagnostic Criteria on Frequency of Convergence Insufficiency vol.21, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2016.21.3.235
- A Study of Correlation between Academic Grades and Convergence Insufficiency Among Elementary School Students vol.21, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2016.21.4.371