- Volume 4 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Changes of Growth and Quality of Creeping Bentgrass by Greywater Irrigation
중수돗물 관수에 따른 크리핑벤트그래스의 생육과 품질
- Lee, Jong-Jin (Department of Bioenvironmental Chemistry, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Young-Sun (Hyosung O&B Co. Ltd.) ;
- Lee, Jae-Pil (Major in Golf Course and Turfgrass, Graduate School of Agriculture and Animal Science, Kunkuk University) ;
- Yoon, Min-Ho (Department of Bioenvironmental Chemistry, Chungnam National University) ;
- Lee, Geung-Joo (Department of Horticultural Science, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2015.08.04
- Accepted : 2015.09.22
- Published : 2015.12.30
Water shortage is becoming a serious problem of turfgrass management on sand green. Many superintendents in golf course in Korea have interested in use of irrigation of recycled water for turfgrass water management. This study was conducted to investigate the effect of greywater as an irrigation source on the growth and quality of creeping bentgrass green. Turfgrass was irrigated with tap water (TW) and greywater (GW), under with or without compound fertilizer application (nonfertilizer + TW, N-TW; non-fertilizer + GW, N-GW; fertilizer + TW, F-TW; fertilizer + GW, F-GW). The chemical properties of the green sand soil were not changed by irrigation. Turf color index, chlorophyll index, root length, clipping yield and nutrient uptake of GW treatment were similar to TW treatment. The growth and quality of turfgrass were more likely related with the fertilizer application than irrigation source or quality. These results indicated that GW could be used as alternative irrigation source on the sand greens of golf courses.
- Ahn, Y.T., Kim, S.T., Kim, I.S., Kim, J.W., Kim, H.J., et al. 1992. Standard and practice for management in golf course. KTRI, Seongnam, Korea. (In Korean)
- Beard, J.B. and Kenna, M.P. 2008. Water quality and quantity issues for turfgrasses in urban landscapes. CAST, Iowa, USA.
- Byeon, S.J., Choi, G.W., Kim, J.W., Koo, B.J. and Kim, S.J. 2010. The study on characteristics and causes of drought in water deficit zone. Proc. Rrop. Reg. Korea Water Resour. Assoc. 45:1873-1877. (In Korean)
- Choi, S.J., Kim, J.H. and Lee, D.R. 2008. Evaluation of supply alternatives of water shortage based on multi-criteria decision analysis. Proc. Rrop. Reg. Korea Water Resour. Assoc. 43:1510-1514. (In Korean)
- Evanylo, G., Ervin, E. and Zhang, X. 2010. Reclaimed water for turfgrass irrigation. Water 2:685-701. https://doi.org/10.3390/w2030685
- Hameed, M. and Ashraf, M. 2008. Physiological and biochemical adaptation of Cynodon dactylon (L.) Pers. from the salt range (Pakistan) to salinity stress. Flora. 203:683-694. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.flora.2007.11.005
- Harrivandi, A. 2007. Using recycled water on golf courses. Golf Course Mgmt. 75:1-10
- Hartwiger, C. 2013. Golf course irrigation-Where dose it come from?. Green Section Rec. 51(16):1-4.
- Kim, C.K. 2011. A study on the rainwater quality monitoring and the improvement, collection and storage system. Clean Technol. 17(4):353-362. (In Korean) https://doi.org/10.7464/KSCT.2011.17.4.353
- Kim, J.W., Kim, C.H., Baeck, J.H., Lee, D.J., Choi, Y.S., et al. 2001. An introduction to soil and fertilizer. Sunjin Press, Goyang, Korea. pp. 240-258. (In Korean)
- Kim, Y.S., Han, S.K., Kim, T.S. and Jeong, H.S. 2008. Effect of liquid fertilizer contained fermentation of Lactobacillus confusa and Pichia anomala on growth of creeping bentgrass (A. palustris Huds. CV. Pennlixs). Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 22(1):49-56.
- Kim, Y.S., Ham, S.K. and Lim, H.J. 2010. Change of soil physicochemical properties by mixed ratio of 4 types of soil amendments used in golf course. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 2492:205-210. (In Korean)
- Kim, Y.S., Ham, S.K. and Lim, H.J. 2012. Monitoring of soil chemical properties and pond water quality in golf course after application of SCB liquid fertilizer. Asian J. Turfgrass Sci. 26(1):44-53. (In Korean)
- Kim, Y.S., Ham, S.K., Lee, J.P. and Hwang, Y.S. 2012. The growth effects of creeping bentgrass by application of liquid fertilizer with saponin and liquid fertilizer with amino acid. Asian J. Turfgrass Sci. 26(1):54-59. (In Korean)
- Kim, Y.S., Kim, T.S., Ham, S.K., Bang, S.W. and Lee, C.E. 2009. The effect of compound fertilizer contained slow release nitrogen on turfgrass growth in creeping bentgrass and on change in soil nitrogen. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 23(1):111-122. (In Korean)
- Kussow, W.R., Soldat, D.J., Kreuser, W.C. and Houlihan, S.M. 2012. Evidence, regulation, and consequences of nitrogen-driven nutrient demand by turfgrass. International Scholarly Research Network Agronomy 10:1-9.
- Lee, S.K. 2012. Irrigation frequency for Kentucky bluegrass (Poa pratensis) growth. Asian J. Turfgrass Sci. 26(2):123-128. (In Korean)
- Mathowa, T., Chinachit, W., Yangyuen, P. and Ayutthaya, S.I.N. 2012. Changes in turfgrass leaf chlorophyll content and some soil characteristics as influenced by irrigation treatments. Inter. J. Envrion. Rural Devel. 3(2):181-187.
- Mohsenzadeh, S., Malboobi, M.A., Razavi, K. and Farrahi-Aschtiani, S. 2006. Physiological and molecular responses of Aeluropus lagopoides (Poaceae) to water deficit. Environ. Experimental Bot. 56:314-222. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envexpbot.2005.03.008
- NIAST. 1998. The analysis of soil and plant. NIAST. Suwon, Korea. (In Korean)
- Qian, Y. and Fry, J. 1996. Irrigation frequency and turfgrass performance: studies find advantages to deep, infrequent irrigation of zoysiagrass. Golf Course Mgmt. 64(5):49-51.
- Richie, W.E., Green, R.L., Klein, G.J. and Hartin, J.S. 2002. Tall fescue performance influenced by irrigation scheduling, cultivar, and mowing height. Crop Sci. 42:2011-2017. https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci2002.2011
- Salgot, M., Priestley, G.K. and Folch, M. 2012. Golf course irrigation with reclaimed water in the mediterranean: a risk management matter. Water 4:289-429.