- Volume 28 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Bedding Material Composition in Deep Litter Systems on Bedding Characteristics and Growth Performance of Limousin Calves
- Meng, J. (College of Animal Sciences and Technology, State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University) ;
- Shi, F.H. (College of Animal Sciences and Technology, State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University) ;
- Meng, Qingxiang (College of Animal Sciences and Technology, State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University) ;
- Ren, L.P. (College of Animal Sciences and Technology, State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University) ;
- Zhou, Z.M. (College of Animal Sciences and Technology, State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University) ;
- Wu, H. (College of Animal Sciences and Technology, State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University) ;
- Zhao, L.P. (College of Animal Sciences and Technology, State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University)
- Received : 2014.02.09
- Accepted : 2014.08.04
- Published : 2015.01.01
The objective of this study was to evaluate the effects of different litter mixture compositions on bedding system temperature, pH and volatile fatty acid and ammonia-N (
- Andersen, H. R., C. C. Krohn, J. Foldager, L. Munksgaard, and S. Klastrup. 1991. Influence of housing and feeding on behaviour, feed intake, growth and carcass and meat quality. National Institute of Animal Science, Denmark. pp. 39.
- Christopherson, R. J. 1985. Management and housing of animals in cold environments. Stress Physiology in Livestock. Volume II. Ungulates. CRC Press, Florida, USA. pp. 175-194.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis, 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Inc., Arlington, VA, USA.
- Broderick, G. A. and J. H. Kang. 1980. Automated simultaneous determination of ammonia and total amino acids in ruminal fluid and in vitro media. J. Dairy Sci. 63:64-75. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(80)82888-8
- Campbell, C. D. and J. F. Darbyshire. 1990. The composting of tree bark in small reactors - self-heating experiments. Biol. Wastes 31:145-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/0269-7483(90)90168-R
- Dewes, T. 1996. Effect of pH, temperature, amount of litter and storage density on ammonia emissions from stable manure. J. Agric. Sci. 127:501-509. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600078722
- Eckert, R., D. W. Randall, and K. Burggren, French. 2000. Tierphysiologie, 3rd ed. Georg Thieme Verlag, Stuttgart, Germany.
- Eklind, Y. and H. Kirchmann. 2000. Composting and storage of organic household waste with different litter amendments. II: nitrogen turnover and losses. Bioresour. Technol. 74:125-133 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(00)00005-5
- Ernstgard, L., A. Iregren, B. Sjogren, and G. Johanson. 2006. Acute effects of exposure to vapours of acetic acid in humans. Toxicol. Lett. 165:22-30 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.toxlet.2006.01.010
- Erwin, E. S., G. J. Marco, and E. M. Emery. 1961. Volatile fatty acid analyses of blood and rumen fluid by gas chromatography. J. Dairy Sci, 44:1768-1771. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(61)89956-6
- Fallon, R. J. and F. J. Harte. 1985. Effect of methods of introducing purchased calves to ad libitum systems of warm milk replacer feeding on their performance. Irish J. Agric. Res. 24:21-32.
- Fox, D. G., C. J. Sniffen, and J. D. O'Connor. 1988. Adjusting nutrient requirements of beef cattle for animal and environmental variations. J. Anim. Sci. 66:1475-1495.
- Gray K. R., K. Sherman, and A. J. Biddlestone. 1971. Review of composting. Part 2. The practical process. Process Biochemistry 5:22-28.
- Kapuinen, P. 2001. Deep litter systems for beef cattle housed in uninsulated barns: Part 1, height increase, carrying capacity and specific counter-pressure of aeration of deep litters. J. Agric. Eng. Res. 79:419-428. https://doi.org/10.1006/jaer.2001.0716
- Hickey, M. C., P. French, and J. Grant. 2002. Out-wintering pads for finishing beef cattle: animal production and welfare. Anim. Sci. 75:447-458.
- Hong J. H., J. Matsuda, and Y. Ikeuchi. 1983. High rapid composting of dairy cattle manure with crop and forest residues. Transactions of the ASAE. Am. Soc Agric. Eng. 26:533-541. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.33974
- Hoyle, D. A. and G. E. G. Mattingly. 1954. Studies on compostins prepared from waste materials. I.-Preparation, nitrogen losses and changes in 'soluble nitrogen'. J. Sci. Food Agric. 5:54-64 https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740050109
- Kapuinen, P. 2001. Deep litter systems for beef cattle housed in uninsulated barns, Part 2: Temperatures and nutrients. J. Agric. Eng. Res. 80:87-97. https://doi.org/10.1006/jaer.2001.0720
- Levy, D., Z. Holzer, and R. Volcani. 1970. Concrete slatted floors vs. bedding for fattening Israeli-Friesian bull calves. J. Anim. Sci. 31:816-820.
- McDowell, R. E., N. W. Hooven, and J. K. Camoens. 1976. Effect of climate on performance of Holsteins in first lactation. J. Dairy Sci. 59:965-973. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(76)84305-6
- Misselbrook, T. H. and J. M. Powell. 2005. Influence of bedding material on ammonia emissions from cattle excreta. J. Dairy Sci. 88:4304-4312. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)73116-7
- Young, B. A. 1975. Effects of winter acclimatization on resting metabolism of beef cows. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 55:619-625. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas75-076
- Olbrich, S. E., F. A. Martz, and E. S. Hilderbrand. 1973. Ambient temperature and ration effects on nutritional and physiological parameters of heat and cold tolerant cattle. J. Anim. Sci, 37:574-580.
- Rynk, R., M. van de Kamp, G. B. Willson, M. E. Singley, T. L. Richard, J. J. Kolega, F. R. Gouin, L. Jr. Laliberty, D. Kay, D. W. Murphy, H. A. J. Hoitink, and W. F. Brinton. 1992. On-Farm Composting Handbook. Northeast Regional Agricultural Engineering Service, Cooperative Extention, NRAES No. 54. pp. 1-186.
- Palme, R., C. Robia, W. Baumgartner, and E. Mostl. 2000. Transport stress in cattle as reflected by an increase in faecal cortisol metabolite concentrations. Vet. Rec. 146:108-109. https://doi.org/10.1136/vr.146.4.108
- Ray, A. 2006. Modulation by thyrotropin releasing hormone (TRH) of stress responses in rats. Front. Neuroendocrinol. 27:154.
- Radcliff, R. P., K. J. Lookingland, L. T. Chapin, and H. A. Tucker. 2001. Pituitary adenylate cyclase-activating polypeptide induces secretion of growth hormone in cattle. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol. 21:187-196. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0739-7240(01)00111-4
- Scott, E. 2008. Cortisol and stress: How to stay healthy. http://stress.about.com/od/stresshealth/a/cortisol.htm. Accessed June 1, 2014.
- Segerson, T. P., J. Kauer, H. C. Wolfe, H. Mobtaker, P. Wu, I. M. Jackson, and R. M. Lechan. 1987. Thyroid hormone regulates TRH biosynthesis in the paraventricular nucleus of the rat hypothalamus. Science 238:78-80. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.3116669
Suler, D. J. and M. S. Finstein. 1977. Effect of temperature, aeration, and moisture on
$CO_2$formation in bench-scale, continuously thermophilic composting of solid waste. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 33:345-350.
- Thrift, T. A., A. Bernal, A. W. Lewis, D. A. Neuendorff, C. C. Willard, and R. D. Randel. 1999. Effects of induced hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism on growth and reproductive performance of Brahman heifers. J. Anim. Sci. 77:1833-1843.
- Tiquia, S. M., N. F. Y. Tam, and I. J. Hodgkiss. 1998. Changes in chemical properties during composting of spent pig litter at different moisture contents. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 67:79-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-8809(97)00132-1
- Webster, A. J. 1971. Prediction of heat losses from cattle exposed to cold outdoor environments. J. Appl. Physiol. 30:684-690.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson, and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Waksman, S. A. and I. J. Hutchings. 1936. Decomposition of lignin by microorganisms. Soil Sci. 42:119-130. https://doi.org/10.1097/00010694-193608000-00004
- Waksman, S. A. and T. C. Cordon. 1939. Thermophilic decomposition of plant residues in composts by pure and mixed cultures of microorganisms. Soil Sci. 47:217-226. https://doi.org/10.1097/00010694-193903000-00006
- Evaluation of gaseous concentrations, bacterial diversity and microbial quantity in different layers of deep litter system vol.30, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0282