- Volume 28 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Determination and Prediction of the Amino Acid Digestibility of Sunflower Seed Meals in Growing Pigs
- Liu, J.D. (Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Centre, State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University) ;
- Li, Q.Y. (Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Centre, State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University) ;
- Zeng, Z.K. (Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Centre, State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University) ;
- Li, P. (Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Centre, State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University) ;
- Xu, X. (Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Centre, State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University) ;
- Wang, H.L. (Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Centre, State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University) ;
- Zhang, S. (Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Centre, State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University) ;
- Piao, X.S. (Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Centre, State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University)
- Received : 2014.02.13
- Accepted : 2014.06.23
- Published : 2015.01.01
This experiment was conducted to evaluate the chemical composition and amino acid (AA) digestibility of sunflower seed meal (SFSM) and to use this data to develop prediction equations for estimating AA digestibility for growing pigs. Ten SFSM were collected from five provinces in China. Twelve barrows (
Sunflower Seed Meal;Chemical Composition;Amino Acid Digestibility;Growing Pigs;Prediction Equations
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- Alpaslan, M. and H. Gunduz. 2000. The effects of growing conditions on oil content, fatty acid composition and tocopherol content of some sunflower seed varieties produced in Turkey. Food/Nahrung 44:434-437. https://doi.org/10.1002/1521-3803(20001201)44:6<434::AID-FOOD434>3.0.CO;2-1
- AAFCO. 2011. Official Publication. Assoc. Am. Feed Control Off. Inc. Washington, DC, USA.
- Adeola, O. 2001. Digestion and balance techniques in pigs. In:Swine Nutrition, 2nd ed. (Eds. D. J. Lewis and L. L. Southern). CRC Press, New York, USA. pp. 903-916.
- Almeida F. N., J. K. Htoo, J. Thomson, and H. H. Stein. 2014. Effects of heat treatment on the apparent and standardized ileal digestibility of amino acids in canola meal fed to growing pigs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 187:44-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2013.09.009
- AOAC. 2000. Official Methods of Analysis, 17th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA, USA.
- Church, D. C. and R. O. Kellems. 1998. Supplemental protein sources. In: Livestock Feeds and Feeding, 4th ed. (Eds. R. O. Kellems and D. C. Church). Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA. pp. 135-163.
- Baidoo, S. K., B. N. Mitaru, F. X. Aherne, and R. Blair. 1987. The nutritive value of canola meal for early-weaned pigs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 18:45-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(87)90028-9
- Batal, A., N. Dale, and M. Cafe. 2005. Nutrient composition of peanut meal. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 14:254-257. https://doi.org/10.1093/japr/14.2.254
- Brand, T. S., D. A. Brandt, and C. W. Cruywagen. 2001. Utilisation of growing-finishing pig diets containing high levels of solvent or expeller oil extracted canola meal. NZ J. Agric. Res. 44:31-35. https://doi.org/10.1080/00288233.2001.9513459
- Clandinin, D. R. and A. R. Robblee. 1950. The effects of methods of processing on the nutritive value of sunflower seed meals. Poult. Sci. 29:753.
- Cozannet, P., Y. Primot, C. Gady, J. P. Metayer, P. Callu, M. Lessire, F. Skiba, and J. Noblet. 2010. Ileal digestibility of amino acids in wheat distillers dried grains with solubles for pigs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 158:177-186. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2010.04.009
- Cromwell, G. L. 2000. Utilization of soy products in swine diets. In: Soy in Animal Nutrition (Ed. J. K. Drackley). Fed. Anim. Sci. Soc. Savoy, IL, USA. pp. 258-282.
- Dinusson, W. E. 1990. Sunflower seed meal. In: Nontraditional Feed Sources in Swine Production (Eds. P. A. Thacker and R. N. Kirkwood). Butterworths, Stoneham, MA, USA. pp. 465-472.
- FAO. 2012. Oil, sunflower seed and sunflower seed seed. http://faostat3.fao.org/faostat-gateway/go/to/search/sunflowerseed/E. Accessed January 17, 2014.
- Fick, G. N. and J. F. Miller. 1997. Sunflower breeding. In: Sunflower Technology and Production (Ed. A. A. Schneiter). ASA-CSSA-SSSA, Madison, WI, USA. pp. 395-439.
- Jorgensen, H., W. C. Sauer, and P. A. Thacker. 1984. Amino acid availabilities in soybean meal, sunflower meal, fish meal and meat and bone meal fed to growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 58:926-934.
- Flagella, Z., T. Rotunno, E. Tarantino, R. Di Caterina, and A. De Caro. 2002. Changes in seed yield and oil fatty acid composition of high oleic sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) hybrids in relation to the sowing date and the water regime. Eur. J. Agron. 17:221-230. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1161-0301(02)00012-6
- Gonzalez-Vega, J. C. and H. H. Stein. 2012. Amino acid digestibility in canola, cottonseed, and sunflower products fed to finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 90:4391-4400. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2011-4631
- Ji, Y., L. Zuo, F. L. Wang, D. F. Li, and C. H. Lai. 2012. Nutritional value of 15 corn gluten meals for growing pigs: Chemical composition, energy content and amino acid digestibility. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 66:283-302. https://doi.org/10.1080/03235408.2012.702466
- Just, A., H. Jorgensen, J. A. Femandez, S. Beth-Andersen, and N. Enggaard Hansen. 1983. The chemical composition, digestibility, energy and protein value of different feedstuffs for pigs. Commun. No. 556 from the National Institute of Animal Science, Denmark, pp. 99 (In Danish with English summary).
- Lenis, N. P., P. Bikker, J. van der Meulen, J. Th. M. van Diepen, J. G. M. Bakker, and A. W. Jongbloed. 1996. Effect of dietary neutral detergent fiber on ileal digestibility and portal flux of nitrogen and amino acids and on nitrogen utilization in growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 74:2687-2699.
- Milic, B., S. Stojanovic, N. Vucurevic, and M. Turcic. 1968. Chlorogenic and quinic acids in sunflower meal. J. Sci. Food Agric. pp. 19:108-113. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740190211
- Noblet, J. and J. M. Perez. 1993. Prediction of digestibility of nutrients and energy values of pig diets from chemical analysis. J. Anim. Sci. 71:3389-3398.
- Noland, P. R., M. Funderburg, J. Atteberry, and K. W. Scott. 1968. Use of glandless cottonseed meal in diets for young pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 27:1319-1321.
- Pahm, A. A., C. Pedersen, D. Hoehler, and H. H. Stein. 2008. Factors affecting the variability in ileal amino acid digestibility in corn distillers dried grains with solubles fed to growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 86:2180-2189. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-0868
- NRC. 2012. Nutrient Requirements of Swine. 11th rev ed. National Academy Press, Washington DC, USA.
- Olvera-Novoa, M. A., L. Olivera-Castillo, and C. A. Martinez-Palacios. 2002. Sunflower meal as a protein source in diets for Tilapia rendalli (Boulanger, 1896) fingerlings. Aquac. Res. 33:223-229. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2109.2002.00666.x
- Opalka, M., L. Dusza, M. Koziorowski, J. Staszkiewicz, K. Lipinski, and J. Tywonczuk. 2001. Effect of long-term feeding with graded levels of low glucosinolate rapeseed meal on endocrine status of gilts and their piglets. Livest. Prod. Sci. 69: 233-243. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(01)00171-3
- Parrado, J., J. Bautista, and A. Machado. 1991. Production of soluble enzymic protein hydrolyzate from industrially defatted nondehulled sunflower meal. J. Agric. Food Chem. 39:447-450. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00003a004
- Robertson, J. A. 1972. Sunflowers: America's neglected crop. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 49:239-244. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02582585
- Salunkhe, D. K., J. K. Chavan, R. N. Adsule, and S. S. Kadam. 1992. World Oilseeds: Chemistry, Technology and Utilization. Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, NY, USA. pp. 140-216.
- Sasipriya, G. and P. Siddhuraju. 2013. Evaluation of growth performance, serum biochemistry and haematological parameters on broiler birds fed with raw and processed samples of Entada scandens, Canavalia gladiata and Canavalia ensiformis seed meal as an alternative protein source. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 45:811-820. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-012-0293-z
- Sauer, W. C., A. Just, H. H. Jorgensen, M. Fekadu, and B. O. Eggum. 1980. The influence of diet composition on the apparent digestibility of crude protein and amino acids at the terminal ileum and overall in pigs. Acta Agric. Scand. 30:449-459. https://doi.org/10.1080/00015128009435293
- Sosulski, F. W. and G. Sarwar. 1973. Amino acid composition of oilseed meals and protein isolates. Can. Inst. Food Sci. Technol. J. 6:1-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0315-5463(73)73954-7
- Seerley, R. W., D. Burdick, W. C. Russom, R. S. Lowrey, H. C. McCampbell, and H. E. Amos. 1974. Sunflower meal as a replacement for soybean meal in growing swine and rat diets. J. Anim. Sci. 38:947-953.
- Senkoylu, N. and N. Dale. 1999. Sunflower meal in poultry diets: A review. World Poult. Sci. J. 55:153-174. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS19990011
- Smith, K. J. 1968. A review of the nutritional value of sunflower meal. Feedstuffs 40:20.
- Stein, H. H., B. Seve, M. F. Fulle, P. J. Moughan, and C. F. M. de Lange. 2007. Invited review: Amino acid bioavailability and digestibility in pig feed ingredients: Terminology and application. J. Anim. Sci. 85:172-180. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2005-742
- Stein, H. H., C. F. Shipley, and R. A. Easter. 1998. Technical note: A technique for inserting a T-cannula into the distal ileum of pregnant sows. J. Anim. Sci. 76:1433-1436.
- Sulabo R. C., W. S. Ju, and H. H. Stein. 2013. Amino acid digestibility and concentration of digestible and metabolizable energy in copra meal, palm kernel expellers and palm kernel meal fed to growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 91:1391-1399. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2012-5281
- Tanksley, T. D., D. A. Knabe, P. Kenneth, T. Zebrowska, and J. R. Corley. 1981. Apparent digestibility of amino acids and nitrogen in three cottonseed meals and one soybean meals. J. Anim. Sci. 52:769-777.
- Thacker, P. A. 1998. Effect of micronization of full-fat canola seed on performance and carcass characteristics of growing-finishing pigs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 71:89-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(97)00133-8
- Thiex, N. J., H. Manson, S. Anderson, and J. A. Persson. 2002. Determination of crude protein in animal feed, forage, grain and oilseeds by using block digestion with copper catalyst and steam distillation into boric acid: Collaborative study. J. AOAC Int. 85:309-317.
- Waldroup, P. W., C. M. Hillard, and R. J. Mitchell. 1970. Sunflower meal as a protein supplement for broiler diets. Feedstuffs 42:41.
- Thiex N. J., S. Anderson, and B. Gildemeister. 2003. Crude fat, diethyl ester extraction, in feed, cereal grain, and forage (Randall/Soxtec/submersion method): Collaborative study. J. AOAC. Int. 86:888-898.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson, and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber and non-starch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3568-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78549-4
- Wahlstrom, R. C. 1990. Sunflower seeds. In: Nontraditional Feed Sources in Swine Production (Eds. P. A. Thacker and R. N. Kirkwood). Butterworths, Stoneham, MA, USA. pp. 473-480.
- Zhang, H. Y., J. Q. Yi, X. S. Piao, P. F. Li, Z. K. Zeng, D. Wang, L. Liu, G. Q. Wang, and X. Han. 2013. The metabolizable energy value, standardized ileal digestibility of amino acids in soybean meal, soy protein concentrate and fermented soybean meal and the application of these products in early-weaned piglets. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 26:691-699. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2012.12429
- Zhang, T., L. Liu, and X. S. Piao. 2012. Predicting the digestible energy of rapeseed meal from its chemical composition in growing-finishing pigs. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 25:375-381. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2011.11323
- Oligosaccharides are a key factor in prediction of amino acid digestibility in soybean meal of different origins when fed to growing pigs vol.30, pp.12, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0086
- Metabolizable energy and standardized ileal digestible amino acid contents of a high-protein sunflower meal fed to broiler chicks vol.98, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1139/cjas-2017-0158