- Volume 9 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Sustainable retrofit design of RC frames evaluated for different seismic demand
- Zerbin, Matteo (Department of Engineering, University of Ferrara) ;
- Aprile, Alessandra (Department of Engineering, University of Ferrara)
- Received : 2014.11.14
- Accepted : 2015.10.20
- Published : 2015.12.25
Seismic upgrading of existing structures is a technical and social issue aimed at risk reduction. Sustainable design is one of the most important challenges in any structural project. Nowadays, many retrofit strategies are feasible and several traditional and innovative options are available to engineers. Basically, the design strategy can lead to increase structural ductility, strength, or both of them, but also stiffness regulation and supplemental damping are possible strategies to reduce seismic vulnerability. Each design solution has different technical and economical performances. In this paper, four different design solutions are presented for the retrofit of an existing RC frame with poor concrete quality and inadequate reinforcement detailing. The considered solutions are based on FRP wrapping of the existing structural elements or alternatively on new RC shear walls introduction. This paper shows the comparison among the considered design strategies in order to select the suitable solution, which reaches the compromise between the obtained safety level and costs during the life-cycle of the building. Each solution is worked out by considering three different levels of seismic demand. The structural capacity of the considered retrofit solutions is assessed with nonlinear static analysis and the seismic performance is evaluated with the capacity spectrum method.
sustainable strategies for engineering;minimum cost optimization;pushover analysis;capacity spectrum method;existing concrete buildings;seismic retrofit;FRP strengthening;ETS strengthening;shear walls
- Aprile, A. and Feo, L. (2007), "Concrete cover rip-off R/C beams strengthened with FRP composites", Composites Part B, 38(5-6), 759-771. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2006.07.015
- Aprile, A., Spacone, E. and Limkatanvu, S. (2001), "Role of bond in RC beams strengthened with steel and FRP plates", J. Struct. Eng., 127(12), 1445-1452. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2001)127:12(1445)
- Baros, D.K. and Dristos, S.E. (2008), "A simplified procedure to select a suitable retrofit strategy for existing RC buildings using pushover analysis", J. Earthq. Eng., 12(6), 823-848. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632460801890240
- Barros, J.A.O. and Dalfre, G.M. (2013), "Assessment of the effectiveness of the embedded through-section technique for the shear strengthening of reinforced concrete beams", Strain., 49(1), 75-93. https://doi.org/10.1111/str.12016
- Biskinis, D. and Fardis, M.N. (2009), "Upgrading of resistance and cyclic deformation capacity of deficient concrete columns", Geotechnical, Geological and Earthquake Engineering, 10, 307-328, Springer, New York. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-90-481-2681-1_15
- Biskinis, D. and Fardis, M.N. (2010a), "Deformations at flexural yielding of members with continuous or lap-spliced bars", Struct. Concrete, 11(3), 127-138. https://doi.org/10.1680/stco.2010.11.3.127
- Biskinis, D. and Fardis, M.N. (2010b), "Flexure-controlled ultimate deformations of members with continuous or lap-spliced bars", Struct. Concrete, 11(2), 93-108. https://doi.org/10.1680/stco.2010.11.2.93
- Biskinis, D. and Fardis, M.N. (2013), "Models for FRP-wrapped rectangular RC columns with continuous or lap-spliced bars under cyclic lateral loading", Eng. Struct., 57, 199-212. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.09.021
- Breveglieri, M., Aprile, A. and Barros, J.A.O. (2014), "Shear strengthening of reinforced concrete beams strengthened using Embedded Through Section steel bars", Eng. Struct., 81, 76-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.09.026
- Breveglieri, M., Aprile, A. and Barros, J.A.O. (2015), "Embedded Through-Section shear strengthening technique using steel and CFRP bars in RC beams of different percentage of existing stirrups", Comp. Struct., 126, 101-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2015.02.025
- Caterino, N., Iervolino, I., Manfredi, G. and Cosenza, E. (2008), "Multi-criteria decision making for seismic retrofitting of RC structure", J. Earthq. Eng., 12(4), 555-583. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632460701572872
- Chopra, A.K. and Goel, R.K. (2002), "A modal pushover analysis procedure for estimating seismic demands for buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 31(3), 561-582. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.144
- Circ. 2/2/2009, n. 617 (2009), Istruzioni per l'applicazione delle << Nuove norme tecniche per le costruzioni» di cui al DM 14/1/2008, Ministero delle Infrastrutture e dei Trasporti, Rome, Italy.
- CNR-DT 200-R1 (2013), Guide for the Design and Construction of Externally Bonded FRP Systems for Strengthening Existing Structures-Materials, RC and PC structures, masonry structures, Advisory Committee on Technical Recommendations for Construction, Rome, Italy.
- Colangelo, F. (2013), "Drift-sensitive non-structural damage to masonry-infilled reinforced concrete frame designed to Eurocode 8", B. Earthq. Eng., 11(6), 2151-2176. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-013-9503-y
- DM 14/1/2008 (2008), Norme tecniche per le costruzioni, Ministero delle Infrastrutture e dei Trasporti, Rome, Italy.
- Aprile, A. (2010), "Verifiche tecniche dei livelli di sicurezza strutturale di costruzioni ai sensi dell'OPCM 3274/2003 e ss.mm. e ii. e OPCM 3362/2004 e ss.mm. e ii. di immobili ad uso scolastico siti nel Comune di Forli", Research Report, Engineering Department of University of Ferrara, Italy.
- Aprile, A. and Benedetti, A. (2004), "Coupled flexural-shear design of R/C beams strengthened with FRP", Compos. Part B-Eng., 35(1), 1-25.
- Fajfar, P. (2000), "A nonlinear analysis method for performance-based seismic design", Earthq. Spectra, 16(3), 573-592. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1586128
- Fardis, M.N., Schetakis, A. and Strepelias, E. (2013), "RC buildings retrofitted by converting frame bays into RC walls", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 11(5), 1541-1561. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-013-9435-6
- Gilmore, A.T. (2012), "Options for sustainable earthquake-resistant design of concrete and steel buildings", Earthq. Struct., 3(6), 783-804. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2012.3.6.783
- Goda, K. and Hong, H.P. (2006a), "Optimal seismic design considering risk attitude, societal tolerable risk level, and life quality criterion", J. Struct. Eng., 132(12), 2027-2035. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2006)132:12(2027)
- Goda, K. and Hong, H.P. (2006b), "Optimal seismic design for limited planning time horizon with detailed seismic hazard information", Struct. Saf.., 28(3), 247-260. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.strusafe.2005.08.001
- Lam, L. and Teng, J.G. (2003), "Design-oriented stress-strain model for FRP-confined concrete in rectangular columns", J. Reinf. Plast. Comp., 22(13), 1149-1186. https://doi.org/10.1177/0731684403035429
- Masi, A., Santarsiero, G., Verderame, G.M., Russo, G., Martinelli, E., Pauletta, M. and Cortesia, A. (2009), "Capacity models of beam-column joints: provisions of european and italian seismic codes and possible improvements", Ed. E. Cosenza, Eurocode 8 Perspectives from the Italian Standpoint Workshop, 145-158, Doppiavoce, Napoli, Italy.
- Mazza F. (2015), "Comparative study of the seismic response of RC framed buildings retrofitted using modern techniques", Earthq. Struct., 9(1), 29-48. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.9.1.029
- Midas Gen v2.1 (2014), Integrated design system for buildings and general structures, MIDAS Information Technology Co., Ltd.
- Monti, G. and Nistico, N. (2008), "Square and rectangular concrete columns confined by CFRP: Experimental and numerical investigation", Mech. Compos. Mater., 44(3), 289-308. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11029-008-9021-1
- Panagiotakos, T.B. and Fardis, M.N. (2001), "Deformations of reinforced concrete members at yielding and ultimate", ACI Struct. J., 98(2), 135-148.
- Pela, L., Aprile, A. and Benedetti, A. (2012), "Experimental study of retrofit solutions for damaged concrete bridge slabs", Compos. Part B, 43(5), 2471-2479. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2011.08.038
- Perrone, M., Barros, J.A.O. and Aprile, A. (2009), "A CFRP-Based Strengthening Technique to Increase the Flexural and Energy Dissipation Capacities of RC Columns", J. Compos. Constr., 13(5), 372-383. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CC.1943-5614.0000031
- Rozman, M. and Fajfar, P. (2009), "Seismic response of a RC frame building designed according to old and modern practices", B. Earthq. Eng., 7(3), 779-799. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-009-9119-4
- Spoelstra, M.R. and Monti, G. (1999), "FRP-confined concrete model", J. Compos. Constr., 3(3), 143-150. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0268(1999)3:3(143)
- Sugano, S. (1996), "State-of-the-Art in techniques for rehabilitation of buildings", Proceedings of 11 WCEE, Acapulco, Mexico.
- UNI EN 1992-1-1 (2004), Eurocode 2: Design of Concrete Structures. Part 1-1: General rules and rules for buildings, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels.
- UNI EN 1998-1 (2013), Eurocode 8: Design of Structures for Earthquake Resistance. Part 1: General Rules, Seismic Actions and Rules for Buildings, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels.
- UNI EN 1998-3 (2005), Eurocode 8: Design of Structures for Earthquake Resistance. Part 3: Assessment and retrofitting of buildings, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels.
- Zerbin, M. (2013), "Adeguamento sismico di un edificio in c.a. Il caso della Scuola Media P. Maroncelli di Forli: Corpo Est", Master's thesis, University of Ferrara, Italy.
- Inelastic deformation ratio for seismic demands assessment of structures vol.199, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2017.09.168
- Simplified procedure for seismic demands assessment of structures vol.59, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2016.59.3.455
- Retrofit Design Methodology for Substandard R.C. Buildings with Torsional Sensitivity 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2016.1277569