- Volume 9 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Seismic behavior of steel frames with lightweight-low strength industrialized infill walls
- Zahrai, Seyed Mehdi (School of Civil Engineering, College of Engineering, The University of Tehran) ;
- Khalili, Behnam Gholipour (Kish International branch of the University of Tehran) ;
- Mousavi, Seyed Amin (School of Civil Engineering, College of Engineering, The University of Tehran)
- Received : 2015.03.03
- Accepted : 2015.10.14
- Published : 2015.12.25
JK wall is a shear wall made of lightweight EPS mortar and reinforced with a 3-D galvanized steel mesh, called JK panel, and truss-like stiffeners, called JK stiffeners. Earlier studies have shown that low strength lightweight concrete has the potential to be used in structural elements. In this study, seismic contribution of the JK infill walls surrounded by steel frames is numerically investigated. Adopting a hybrid numerical model, behavior envelop of the wall is derived from the general purpose finite element software, Abaqus. Obtained backbone would be implemented in the professional analytical software, SAP2000, in which through calibrated hysteretic parameters, cyclic behavior of the JK infill can be simulated. Through comparison with earlier experimental results, it turned out that the proposed hybrid modeling can simulate monotonic and cyclic behavior of JK walls with good accuracy. JK infills have a panel-type configuration which their dominant failure mode would be ductile in flexure. Finally technical and economical advantages of the proposed JK infills are assessed for two representative multistory buildings. It is revealed that JK infills can reduce maximum inter-story drifts as well as residual drifts at the expense of minor increase in the developed base shear.
- ACI (2008), Building code requirements for structural concrete (ACI 318-08), American Concrete Institute, Michigan.
- AISC (2005), Seismic provisions for structural steel buildings (AISC 341-05), American Institute of steel construction, Chicago, IL.
- Aref, A.J. and Jung, W.Y. (2003), "Energy-dissipating polymer matrix composite infill wall system for seismic retrofitting", J. Struct. Eng., 106(1), 440-448.
- ASCE (2006), Seismic rehabilitation of existing buildings (ASCE41-06), American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston, Virginia.
- ASCE (2010), Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures (ASCE7-10), American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston, Virginia.
- Asteris, P.G. (2003), "Lateral stiffness of brick masonry infilled plane frames", J. Struct. Eng., 129(8), 1071-1079. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2003)129:8(1071)
- Asteris, P.G., Cotsovos, D.M., Chrysostomou, C.Z., Mohebkhah, A. and Al-Chaar, G.K. (2013), "Mathematical micromodeling of infilled frames: State of the art", Eng. Struct., 56, 1905-1921. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.08.010
- Asteris, P.G., Antoniou, S.T., Sophianopoulos, D.S. and Chrysostomou, C.Z. (2011), "Mathematical macromodeling of infilled frames: State of the art" J. Struct. Eng., 137(12), 1508-1517. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000384
- Babu, D.S., Babu, K.G. and Tiong-Huan, W. (2006), "Effect of polystyrene aggregate size on strength and moisture migration characteristics of lightweight concrete", Cement Concrete Compos., 28(6), 520-527. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2006.02.018
- Abaqus (2011), Version 6.11. Dassault Systemes Simulia Corp., Providence, RI.
- ACI (2009), Report on polymer-modified concrete (ACI 548.3R-09), American Concrete Institute, Michigan.
- Bedirhanoglu, I., Ilki, A., Pujol, S. and Kumbasar, N. (2010), "Behavior of deficient joints with plain bars and low-strength concrete", ACI Struct. J., 107(3), 300-311.
- Caltrans (2006), Seismic design criteria version 1.4, California Department of Transportation, Sacramento, CA.
- Dawe, J.L. and Aridru, G.G. (1994), "Prestressed concrete masonry walls subjected to uniform Out-of-Plane loading", Can. J. Civ. Eng., 20(6), 969-979. https://doi.org/10.1139/l93-128
- FEMA (1998), Evaluation of earthquake damaged concrete and masonry wall buildings, Technical Resources (FEMA 307), Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington, DC.
- Haldar, P., Singh, Y. and Paul, D.K. (2013), "Identification of seismic failure modes of URM infilled RC frame buildings", Eng. Fail. Anal., 33, 97-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2013.04.017
- Hashemi, A. and Mosalam, K.M. (2007), Seismic evaluation of reinforced concrete buildings including effects of masonry infill walls, Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center PEER Report 2007/100, University of California, Berkeley.
- Hiroaki, T., Akira, Y. and Hideo, A. (2008), "Seismic performance of reinforced concrete beams with low strength concrete", The 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Beijing, China.
- Kabir, M.Z., Rahai, A.R. and Nassira, Y. (2006), "Nonlinear response of combined 3D wall panels and steel moment frame subjected to seismic loading", WIT Transactions on the Built Environment, Vol. 85.
- Lunn, D.S. and Rizkalla, S.H. (2011), "Strengthening of infill masonry walls with FRP materials", J. Compos. Constr., 15(2), 206-214. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CC.1943-5614.0000088
- Memari, A.M. and Solnosky, R.L. (2014), "Wood-framed drywall shearing wall systems under cyclic racking loading", Open J. Civ. Eng., 4, 54-70. https://doi.org/10.4236/ojce.2014.41006
- Mohammadi, M., Akrami, V. and Mohammadi, R. (2010), "Experimental and analytical studies on the infilled frames with frictional sliding fuses", J. Seismol. Earthq. Eng., 11(4), 205-213.
- Mostafaei, H. and Kabeyasawa, T. (2004), "Effect of infill masonry walls on the seismic response of reinforced concrete buildings subjected to the 2003 Bam earthquake strong motion: a case study of Bam telephone center", Bull. Earthq. Res. Inst., 79, 133-156.
- Mousavi, S.A. and Bahrami-Rad, A. (2013), "JK panel, a novel three dimensional interconnected reinforcement for concrete shear walls", Appl. Mech. Mat., 256-259, 629-634.
- Mousavi, S.A., Bahrami-Rad, A. and Karkuti, A. (2013), "JK system, a new structural system and construction technology", The 4th National Conference on Earthquake and Structure, Kerman, Iran.
- Mousavi, S.A., Zahrai, S.M. and Bahrami-Rad, A. (2014), "Quasi-static cyclic tests on super-lightweight EPS concrete shear walls", Eng. Struct., 65, 62-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.02.003
- Reinhorn, A.M., Roh, H., Sivaselvan, M., Kunnath, S.K., Valles, R.E., Madan, A., Li, C., Lobo, R. and Park, Y.J. (2009), IDARC 2D Version 7.0: A Program for the Inelastic Damage Analysis of Structures, MCEER Technical Report-MCEER-09-0006, University at Buffalo-the State University of New York.
- SAP2000 (2010), Structural Analysis Program, Version 14.2.2, Computers and Structures Inc., CA.
- EFECTIS france (2009), Fire resistance test of building elements, Test Report n. 09-U-170, www.efectis.com.
- FEMA (1997), NEHRP commentary on the guidelines for the seismic rehabilitation of buildings (FEMA 274), Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington, DC.
- Shalouf, F. (2005), "Seismic retrofit of reinforced concrete frames with diagonal prestressing or FRP strips", Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada.
- Spatti, G., Piras, D., Riva, P. and Belleri, A. (2012), "Wood beton ARIA a new wood-concrete structural wall: seismic performances", The 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Tagdi, M. (1998), "Seismic retrofit of low-rise masonry and concrete walls by steel strip", Ph. D. Thesis, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada.
- Study on seismic behavior of steel frame with external hanging concrete walls containing recycled aggregates vol.157, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2017.09.152
- Seismic Behavior Investigation on Blind Bolted CFST Frames with Precast SCWPs pp.2093-6311, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-018-0068-0