- Volume 9 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Experimental behavior and shear bearing capacity calculation of RC columns with a vertical splitting failure
- Wang, Peng (School of Civil Engineering, Xi'an University of Architecture and Technology) ;
- Shi, Qing X. (School of Civil Engineering, Xi'an University of Architecture and Technology) ;
- Wang, Qiu W. (School of Civil Engineering, Xi'an University of Architecture and Technology) ;
- Tao, Yi (School of Civil Engineering, Xi'an University of Architecture and Technology)
- Received : 2015.03.24
- Accepted : 2015.10.10
- Published : 2015.12.25
The behavior of reinforced concrete (RC) columns made from high strength materials was investigated experimentally. Six high-strength concrete specimen columns (1:4 scale), which included three with high-strength transverse reinforcing bars and three with normal-strength transverse reinforcement, were tested under double curvature bending load. The effects of yielding strength and ratio of transverse reinforcement on the cracking patterns, hysteretic response, shear strength, ductility, strength reduction, energy dissipation and strain of reinforcement were studied. The test results indicated that all specimens failed in splitting failure, and specimens with high-strength transverse reinforcement exhibited better seismic performance than those with normal-strength transverse reinforcement. It also demonstrated that the strength of high-strength lateral reinforcing bars was fully utilized at the ultimate displacements. Shear strength formula of short concrete columns, which experienced a splitting failure, was proposed based on the Chinese concrete code. To enhance the applicability of the model, it was corroborated with 47 short concrete columns selected from the literature available. The results indicated that, the proposed method can give better predictions of shear strength for short columns that experienced a splitting failure than other shear strength models of ACI 318 and Chinese concrete codes.
Supported by : National Natural Sciences Foundation of China
- American Concrete Institute (ACI) (2008b), "Building code requirements for structural concrete and commentary", ACI 318 (318R-08), American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI.
- Aoyama, H. (2001a), Design of Modern Highrise Reinforced Concrete Structures, Imperial College Press, London, UK.
- Bhayusukma, M.Y. and Tsai, K.C. (2014c), "High-strength RC columns subjected to high-axial and increasing cyclic lateral loads", Earthq. Struct., 7(5), 779-796. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.5.779
- Cagatay, I.H., Beklen, C. and Mosalam, K.M. (2010a), "Investigation of short column effect of RC building: failure and prevention", Comput. Concrete, 7(6), 523-532. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2010.7.6.523
- Caglar, N. and Mutlu, M. (2009), "Failure analysis of reinforced concrete frames with short column effect", Comput. Concrete, 6(5), 403-419. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2009.6.5.403
- Chen, C.Y., Liu, K.C., Liu, Y.W. and Huang, W.J. (2010b), "A case study of reinforced concrete short column under earthquake using experimental and theoretical investigations", Struct. Eng. Mech., 36(2), 197-206. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2010.36.2.197
- Guevara, L.T. and Garcia, L.E. (2005a), "The captive-and short-column effects", Earthq. Spectra, 21(1), 141-160. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1856533
- Gupta, P.R. and Collins, M.P. (2001b), "Evaluation of shear design procedures for reinforced concrete members under axial compression", Struct. J., 98(4), 537-547.
- Harumi, Y., Yasuo, T., Masayuki, N. and Younggon, R. (1990b), "Study on shear failure mechanisms of reinforced concrete short columns", Eng. Fract. Mech., 35(1-3), 277-289. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-7944(90)90206-V
- Ichinose, T. (1995), "Splitting bond failure of columns under seismic action", Struct. J., 92(5), 535-542.
- Kocak, A. (2013a), "The effect of short columns on the performance of existing buildings", Struct. Eng. Mech., 46(4), 505-518. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.46.4.505
- Lura, P., Plizzari, G.A. and Riva, P. (2002), "3D finite-element modeling of splitting crack propagation", Magaz. Concrete Res., 54(6), 481-493. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.2002.54.6.481
- Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development of the People's Republic of China (MOHURD) (2010c), "Code for design of concrete structures", GB 50010-2010, MOHURD.
- Mohamed, H.H. and Farid, D. (2008a), "Seismic strengthening of bond-critical regions in rectangular reinforced concrete columns using fiber-reinforced polymer wraps", Struct. J., 105(1), 68-77.
- Moretti, M.L. and Tassios, T.P. (2006), "Behavior and ductility of reinforced concrete short columns using global truss model in concrete beams", Struct. J., 103(3), 319-327.
- Pandey, G.R. and Mutsuyoshi, H. (2005b), "Seismic performance of reinforced concrete piers with bond-controlled reinforcements", Struct. J., 102(2), 295-304.
- Paultre, P., Legeron, F. and Mongeau, D. (2001c), "Influence of concrete strength and transverse reinforcement yield strength on behavior of high-strength concrete columns", Struct. J., 98(4), 490-501.
- Pham, T.P. and Li, B. (2013b), "Seismic behavior of RC columns with light transverse reinforcement under different loading directions", Struct. J., 110(5), 833-844.
- Pham, T.P. and Li, B. (2014a), "Splitting failure of reinforced concrete columns", J. Struct. Eng., 140(3), 1-11.
- Pham, T.P. and Li, B. (2014b), "Seismic behavior of RC columns with plain longitudinal reinforcing bars", Struct. J., 111(3), 561-572.
- Sato, H. and Kaminosono, T. (1992), "Vertical splitting failure of high-strength RC columns after flexural yielding", Earthquake Engineering, Tenth World Conference, balkerma, Rotterdam.
- Shi, Q.X., Yang, W.X., Wang, Q.W., Tian, Y., Zhang, X.H., Jiang, W.S., Bai, L.G. and Zhao, Q.C. (2012b), "Experimental research on seismic behavior of high-strength concrete short columns with high-strength stirrups", J. Build. Struct., 33(9), 49-58.
- Sun, Z.G., Si, B.J., Guo, X., Yu, D.H. and Li, X.L. (2011), "Experimental research on the shear-bond failure of RC columns under seismic action", Eng. Mech., 28(3), 109-117, 149.
- Tran, C. T. N. and Li, B. (2012a), "Initial stiffness of reinforced concrete columns with moderate aspect ratios", Adv. Struct. Eng., 15(2), 265-276. https://doi.org/10.1260/1369-43126.96.36.1995
- 高木仁之, 田中礼治, 狩野芳一(1990a), "高強度鉄筋を用いた.鉄筋コンクリート部材の設計上の問題点-せん断補強筋として利用场合[J]", コンクリート工学, 28(5).
- 日本建筑学会(2010d), "鉄筋コンクリート構造計算規準[S]", 同解説.