- Volume 57 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Evaluating the role of vaccine to combat peste des petits ruminants outbreaks in endemic disease situation
- Abubakar, Muhammad (National Veterinary Laboratory) ;
- Manzoor, Shumaila (National Veterinary Laboratory) ;
- Ali, Qurban (National Veterinary Laboratory)
- Received : 2014.10.19
- Accepted : 2014.12.19
- Published : 2015.01.31
Among the main intimidation to the sheep and goat population, PPR outbreaks are causing huge losses especially in endemic areas. During recent times, six outbreaks of PPR were confirmed at semi-organized goat farms/herds in various regions of Punjab province and Islamabad capital territory (ICT), Pakistan. The disease started after introduction of new animals at these farms with no history of previous PPR vaccination. The clinical signs appeared affecting respiratory and enteric systems and spread quickly. Disease caused mortality of 10-20% and morbidity of 20-40% within a time period of four weeks. Morbidity and mortality rates were 30.38% (86/283) and 15.55% (44/283), respectively. Three treatment regimes were executed to demonstrate the role of vaccination during outbreak at these farms. First was to use only the broad spectrum antibiotics (Penicillin & Streptomycin and/or Trimethoprim and Sulfadiazine) at two farms (Texilla and Attock). Second treatment regime was to use the same broad spectrum antibiotic along with extensive fluid therapy (Farms at ICT-1 and ICT-2). The third regime was to use of broad spectrum antibiotic plus fluid therapy along with vaccinating the herd against PPR during first week of outbreak (ICT-3 and ICT-4). The third scheme of treatment gave the better results as there was no mortality in third week post-outbreak. Therefore, it is suggested to give proper importance to PPR vaccination along with conventional symptomatic treatment when dealing the PPR outbreaks in endemic disease conditions.
Goat farming;PPR virus;Outbreaks;Treatment Regimes;Vaccination
- Khan HA, Siddique M, Arshad MJ, Khan QM, Rehman SU. Sero-prevalence of peste des petits ruminants (PPR) virus in sheep and goats in Punjab province of Pakistan. Pak Vet J. 2007;27(3):109-12.
- Hussain M, Afzal M, Ali Q, Taylor W, Mariner J, Roeder P. The epidemiology of peste des petitis ruminants in Pakistan and possible control policies. Rev Sci Tech Off Int Epiz. 2008;27(3):869-76. https://doi.org/10.20506/rst.27.3.1849
- Bundza A, Afshan A, Dukes TW, Myus DJ, Dulac GC, Becken SAWE. Experimental peste des petits ruminants (goat plague) in goats and sheep. Can J Vet Res. 1987;52:46-52.
- Ali Q. National Policy for Control of Peste des Petits Ruminants in Pakistan. GCP/ PAK/ 088-EC. Islamabad: FAO; 2004.
- Libeau G, Diallo A, Colas F, Guerre L. Rapid differential diagnosis of rinderpest and peste des petits ruminants using an immunocapture ELISA. Vet Rec. 1994;134:300-4. https://doi.org/10.1136/vr.134.12.300
- Forsyth MA, Barrett T. Evaluation of polymerase chain reaction for the detection and characterisation of rinderpest and peste des petitsruminants viruses for epidemiological studies. Virus Res. 1995;39:151-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-1702(95)00076-3
- Munir M, Saeed A, Abubakar M, Kanwal S, Berg M., 2013. Molecular characterization of Peste des Petits Ruminants viruses from outbreaks caused by unrestricted movements of small ruminants in Pakistan. Transbound Emerg Dis. doi:10.1111/tbed.12089. https://doi.org/10.1111/tbed.12089
- Libeau G, Prehaud C, Lancelot R, Colas F, Guerre L, Bishop DHL, et al. Development of a competitive ELISA for detecting antibodies to the peste des petits ruminants virus using a recombinant nucleoprotein. Res Vet Sci. 1995;58:50-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/0034-5288(95)90088-8
- Abubakar M, Jamal SM, Arshed MJ, Hussain M, Ali Q. Peste des petits ruminants virus (PPRV) infection: its association with species, seasonal variations and geography. Trop Anim Health Prod. 2009;41:1197-202. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-008-9300-9
- Zahur AB, Ullah A, Hussain M, Irshad H, Hameed A, Jahangir M, et al. Sero-epidemiology of peste des petits ruminants (PPR) in Pakistan. Prev Vet Med. 2011;102:87-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prevetmed.2011.06.011
- Abubakar M, Arshed MJ, Hussain M, Ali Q. Evidence of peste des petits ruminants in serology of sheep and goats from sindh, Pakistan. Transbound Emerg Dis. 2011;58:152-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1865-1682.2010.01193.x
- Anderson J, McKay JA. The detection of antibodies against peste des petitis ruminants virus in cattle, sheep and goats and the possible implications to rinderpest control programmes. Epidemiol Infect. 1994;112(1):225-31. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0950268800057599
- Singh RP, Saravanan P, Sreenivasa BP, Singh RK, Bandyopadhyay SK. Prevalence and distribution of peste des petits ruminants virus infection in small ruminants in India. Rev Sci Tech. 2004;23:807-19. https://doi.org/10.20506/rst.23.3.1522
- Abubakar M, Ashiq S, Hussain Z, Hussain M, Saleha S, Arshed MJ, et al. Comparison of antigen detection methods of peste des petits ruminants virus in clinical samples of small ruminants. Bulg J Vet Med. 2011;14(2):103-8.
- Thombare NN, Sinha MK. Economic implications of peste des petits ruminants (PPR) disease in sheep and goats: a sample analysis of district pune, maharastra. Agri Econ Res Rev. 2009;22:319-22.
- World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE), 2009. Technical Disease Cards: Peste des Petits Ruminants. http://www.oie.int/doc/ged/D13983.PDF
- Narayanan R, P Gopu, S. Baegan, Barathidasan. Clinical Management in an outbreak of Peste Des Petits Ruminants in Barbari Goats. Veterinary World. 2008;1(3):81-82.
- Wosu LO. Management of clinical cases of peste des petits ruminants (PPR) disease in goats. Beitr Trop Landwirtsch Veterinarmed. 1989;27(3):357-61.
- Abubakar M, Irfan M. An overview of treatment options to combat peste des petits ruminants (PPR). Res J Vet Pract. 2014;2(1S):4-7. https://doi.org/10.14737/journal.rjvp/2014/2.1s.4.7
- Abdollahpour G, Raoofi A, Najafi J, Sasani F, Sakhaie E. Clinical and paraclinical findings of a recent outbreak of peste des petits ruminants in Iran. J Vet Med. 2006;53(Series B):14-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0450.2006.01013.x
- Chauhan HC, Chandel BS, Kher HN, Dadawala AI, Agrawal SM. Peste des petits ruminants virus infection in animals. Vet World. 2009;2:150-5.
- Abubakar M, Arshed MJ, Zahur AB, Ali Q, Banyard AC. Natural infection with peste des petits ruminants virus: a pre and post vaccinal assessment following an outbreak scenario. Virus Res. 2012;167:43-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.virusres.2012.03.018
- Ezeibe MCO, Okoroafor ON, Ngene AA, Eze JI, Eze IC, Ugonabo JAC. Persistent detection of peste de petits ruminants antigen in the faeces of recovered goats. Trop Anim Health Prod. 2008;40:517-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-008-9128-3