- Volume 57 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Physicochemical traits of Holstein loin and top round veal from two slaughter age groups
- Yim, Dong-Gyun (Department of Health Administration and Food Hygiene, Jinju Health College) ;
- Park, Sang-Woon (Department of Animal Science and Resources, Sangji University) ;
- Chung, Ku-Young (Department of Animal Science and Resources, Sangji University)
- Received : 2015.04.02
- Accepted : 2015.06.02
- Published : 2015.07.31
The objective of this study was to investigate the physicochemical and microbial quality of loin (m. longissimus dorsi) and top round (m. Semimembranosus) in Holstein veal produced from two slaughter age groups (5 and 8 months of age). A total of 20 Holstein calves were randomly selected from a local cattle farm. The slaughtered cold carcasses were vacuum-packaged. The samples were analyzed for proximate composition and physicochemical analyses and stored for 1, 7, 10, 20 and 30 days for microbiological analyses. Fat and protein contents of loin for the 8 month group were higher than those for the 5 month groups (p < 0.05). For both loin and top round muscles, the pH, cooking loss and the shear force values for the 5 month group was higher than those for the 8 month group (p < 0.05). On the other hands, the water-holding capacity (WHC) for the 8 month group was higher than those for the 5 month group (p < 0.05). In terms of meat color, CIE
Holstein veal;Loin;Top round;Meat quality;Slaughter age
Supported by : IPET
- Jurie C, Picard B, Hocquette JF, Dransfield E, Micol D, Listrat A. Muscle and meat quality characteristics of Holstein and Salers cull cows. Meat Sci. 2007;77:459-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.04.014
- Cho SH, Seong PN, Kang GH, Choi SH, Kang SM, Park KM. Physicochemical meat quality and fatty acid compositions of striploin, chuck tender, eye of round muscles from Holstein steer beef slaughtered at different fattening periods. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour. 2013;33:633-9. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2013.33.5.633
- Korea Institute for Animal Products Quality Evaluation: Report of business for animal products grading. Korea; 2014.
- Vieira C, Garcia MD, Cerdeno A, Mantecon AR. Effect of diet composition and slaughter weight on animal performance, carcass and meat quality, and fatty acid composition in veal calves. Livest Sci. 2005;93:263-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livprodsci.2004.11.020
- EU: Council Regulation (EC) No 361/2008 of 14 April 2008 amending Regulation (EC) No 1234/2007 establishing a common organisation of agricultural markets and on specific provisions for certain agricultural products (Single CMO Regulation). Official J. European Communities (pp. L 121/121-L 121/131);2008.
- Ngapo TM, Gariepy C. Factors affecting the meat quality of veal. J Sci Food Agri. 2006;86:1412-31. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2507
- Cho SH, Kang SM, Seong PN, Kang GH, Choi SH, Kwon E. Physico-chemical Meat qualities of loin and top round beef from Holstein calves with different slaughtering ages. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour. 2014;34:674-82. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2014.34.5.674
- AOAC. Official Methods of Analysis. 17th ed. Gaithersburg, MD: Association of Official Analytical Chemists; 2000.
- Grau R, Hamm R. Eine einfache methode zur bestimmung der wasserbindung in muskel. Naturwissenschaften. 1953;40:29. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00595734
- Bourne MC. Texture profile analysis. Food Technol. 1978;32:72.
- SAS. SAS/STAT Software for PC. Release 6.11. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute; 2002.
- Hunsley RE, Vetter RL, Kline EA, Burroughs W. Effects of age and sex on quality, tenderness and collagen content of bovine longissimus muscle. J Anim Sci. 1971;33:933-8. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1971.335933x
- Lin-qiang L, Wan-qiang T, Lin-sen Z. Effects of age on quality of beef from Qinchuan cattle carcass. Agr Sci in China. 2011;10:1765-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1671-2927(11)60176-4
- Tuma HJ, Henrickson RL, Odell GV, Stephens DF. Variation in the physical and chemical characteristics of the longissimus dorsi muscle from animals differing in age. J Anim Sci. 1963;22:354-7. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1963.222354x
- Guignot F, Touraille C, Ouali M, Monin G. Relationships between post-mortem pH changes and some traits of sensory quality in veal. Meat Sci. 1993;37:3133-9.
- Kim DG, Jung KK, Sung SK, Choi CB, Kim SK, Kim DY. Effects of age on the carcass characteristics of Hanwoo and Holstein steers. J Anim Sci Technol. 1996;38:268-74.
- Fiems LO, De Campeneere S, De Smet D, Van de Voorde G, Vanacker JM, Boucque CV. Relationship between fat depots in carcasses of beef bulls and effect on meat colour and tenderness. Meat Sci. 2000;56:41-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(00)00017-6
- Park BY, Cho SH, Yoo YM, Kim JH, Lee JM, Joung SK. Effect of intramuscular fat contents on the physicochemical properties of beef longissimus dorsi from Hanwoo. J Anim Sci Technol. 2000;42:189-94.
- Wulf DM, Page JK. Using measurements of muscle color, pH, and electrical impedance to augment the current USDA beef quality grading standards and improve the accuracy and precision if sorting carcasses into palatability groups. J Anim Sci. 2000;78:2595-607. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.78102595x
- Tuma HJ, Henrickson RL, Stephens DF, Moore R. Influence of marbling and animal age on factors associated with beef quality. J Anim Sci. 1962;21:848-51. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1962.214848x
- Priolo A, Micol D, Agabriel J. Effects of grass feeding systems on ruminant meat colour and flavour: a review. Anim Res. 2001;50:185-200. https://doi.org/10.1051/animres:2001125
- MFDS. Korean Food Standards Codex (No. 2011-76) No. 10. General method, 10-3-35:2015.
- Gill CO. Application of preservative packagings to chilled raw meats. Meat Sci Assoc Symp. 1992;7:1-8.
- Johnson BY. Chilled vacuum packed beef. A guide to processing this high quality product for the export market. CSJRO Food Res Q. 1974;34:14-20.
- Dainty RH, Mackey BM. The relationship between the phenotypic properties of bacteria from chill-stored meat and spoilage processes. J Appl Bacteriol. 1992;73:103-14. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.1992.tb03630.x