- Volume 57 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Association of Insulin-like growth factor binding protein 2 genotypes with growth, carcass and meat quality traits in pigs
- Prasongsook, Sombat (Department of Animal Science, Kasetsart University) ;
- Choi, Igseo (Department of Animal Science, Michigan State University) ;
- Bates, Ronald O. (Department of Animal Science, Michigan State University) ;
- Raney, Nancy E. (Department of Animal Science, Michigan State University) ;
- Ernst, Catherine W. (Department of Animal Science, Michigan State University) ;
- Tumwasorn, Sornthep (Department of Animal Science, Kasetsart University)
- Received : 2015.06.16
- Accepted : 2015.08.17
- Published : 2015.09.30
Background: This study was conducted to investigate the potential association of variation in the insulin-like growth factor binding protein 2 (IGFBP2) gene with growth, carcass and meat quality traits in pigs. IGFBP2 is a member of the insulin-like growth factor binding protein family that is involved in regulating growth, and it maps to a region of pig chromosome 15 containing significant quantitative trait loci that affect economically important trait phenotypes. Results: An IGFBP2 polymorphism was identified in the Michigan State University (MSU) Duroc
- Van Wijk HJ, Arts DJG, Matthews JO, Webster M, Ducro BJ, Knol EF. Genetic parameters for carcass composition and pork quality estimated in a commercial production chain. J Anim Sci. 2005;83:324-33. https://doi.org/10.2527/2005.832324x
- Blanchard PJ, Warkup CC, Ellis M, Willis MB, Avery P. The influence of the proportion of Duroc genes on growth, carcass and pork eating quality characteristics. Anim Sci. 1999;68:495-501. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1357729800050505
- Edwards DB, Bates RO, Osburn WN. Evaluation of Duroc- vs. Pietrain-sired pigs for growth and composition. J Anim Sci. 2006;84:266-75. https://doi.org/10.2527/2006.842266x
- Dekkers JCM, Hospital F. The use of molecular genetics in the improvement of agricultural populations. Nature. 2002;3:21-31.
- Li ZH, Li H, Zhang H, Wang SZ, Wang QG, Wang YX. Identification of a single nucleotide polymorphism of the insulin-like growth factor binding protein 2 gene and its association with growth and body composition traits in the chicken. J Anim Sci. 2006;84:2902-6. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-144
- Pagan MJ. Evaluation of serum insulin-like growth factor binding proteins and the insulin-like growth factor binding protein-2 locus for potential associations with growth, carcass merit and meat quality in beef cattle, PhD Diss. East Lansing, USA: Michigan State University; 2002.
- Wang W, Meng Q, Hu X, Fei J, Feng J, Liu W, et al. Chromosome location and association of haplotypes of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-2 with production performance in swine. Biochem Genet. 2008;46:381-91. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10528-007-9128-4
- Malek M, Dekkers JCM, Lee HK, Baas TJ, Prusa K, Huff-Lonergan E, et al. A molecular genome scan analysis to identify chromosomal regions influencing economic traits in the pig. II. Meat and muscle composition. Mamm Genome. 2001;12:637-45. https://doi.org/10.1007/s003350020019
Rohrer GA, Thallman RM, Shackelford S, Wheeler T, Koohmaraie M. A genome scan for loci affecting pork quality in a Duroc-Landrace
$F_2$population. Anim Genet. 2006;37:17-27. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.2005.01368.x
- Edwards DB, Ernst CW, Raney NE, Doumit ME, Hoge MD, Bates RO. Quantitative trait loci mapping in an F2 Duroc x Pietrain resource population: II. Carcass and meat quality traits. J Anim Sci. 2008;86:254-66. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-626
- Knott SA, Marklund L, Haley CS, Andersson K, Davies W, Ellegren H, et al. Multiple marker mapping of quantitative trait loci in a cross between outbred wild boar and large white pigs. Genetics. 1998;149:1069-80.
- National Research Council (NRC). Nutrient requirements of swine. 10th ed. Washington, D.C, USA: National Academy Press; 1998.
- Edwards DB, Ernst CW, Tempelman RJ, Rosa GJM, Raney NE, Hoge MD, et al. Quantitative trait loci mapping in an F2 Duroc x Pietrain resource population: I. Growth traits. J Anim Sci. 2008;86:241-53. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-625
- Choi I, Bates RO, Raney NE, Steibel JP, Ernst CW. Evaluation of QTL for carcass merit and meat quality traits in a US commercial Duroc population. Meat Sci. 2012;92:132-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2012.04.023
- National Swine Improvement Federation (NSIF). Guidelines for uniform swine improvement programs. http://www.nsif.com/guidel/guidelines.htm (2006). Accessed 1 May 2010.
- Green P, Falls K, Crooks S. Documentation for CRIMAP, version 2.4. St. Louis, MO, USA: Washington Univ. School of Medicine; 1990.
- Mote BE, Rothschild MF. SNP detection and linkage mapping for pig genes involved in growth. Anim Genet. 2006;37:293-307. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.2006.01431.x
- Sironen AI, Uimari P, Serenius T, Mote B, Rothschild M, Vilkki J. Effect of polymorphisms in candidate genes on reproduction traits in Finnish pig populations. J Anim Sci. 2010;88:821-7. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-2426
Ciobanu DC, Bastiaansen J, Malek M, Helm J, Woollard J, Plastow G. Evidence for new alleles in the protein kinase adenosine monophosphateactivated
$\gamma$3-subunit gene associated with low glycogen content in pig skeletal muscle and improved meat quality. Genetics. 2001;159:1151-62.
- Milan D, Jeon JT, Looft C, Amarger V, Robic A, Thelander M. A mutation in PRKAG3 associated with excess glycogen content in pig skeletal muscle. Science. 2000;288:1248-51. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.288.5469.1248
- Richardson RL, Hausman GJ, Wright JT. Growth factor regulation of insulin-like growth factor binding protein (IGFBP) and pre-adipocyte differentiation in porcinestromal-vascular cell cultures. Growth Dev Aging. 1998;62:3-12.
- Anderson JR. Optical measurements of pH in meat. Meat Sci. 1999;53:135-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00045-5
- Bendall JR, Swatland HJ. A review of the relationships of pH with physical aspect of pork quality. Meat Sci. 1988;24:85-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(88)90052-6
- D'Souza DN, Mullan BP. The effect of genotype, sex and management strategy on the eating quality of pork. Meat Sci. 2002;60:95-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00112-7
- Lundstrom K, Anderson A, Hansson I. Effect of the RN gene on technological and sensory meat quality in crossbred pigs with Hampshire as a terminal sire. Meat Sci. 1996;42:145-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(95)00034-8
- Schaffer A, Rosenvold K, Purslow PP, Andersen HJ, Henckel P. Physiological and structural events post mortem of importance for drip loss in pork. Meat Sci. 2002;61:355-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00205-4
- Offer G. Modeling of the formation of pale, soft and exudative meat: effect of chilling regime and rate and extent of glycolysis. Meat Sci. 1991;30:157-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(91)90005-B
- Bidner BS, Ellis M, Brewer MS, Campion D, Wilson ER, McKeith FK. Effect of ultimate pH on the quality characteristics of pork. J Muscle Foods. 2004;15:139-54. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4573.2004.tb00717.x
- Long VP, Tarrent PV. The effect of pre-slaughter showering and post-slaughter rapid chilling on meat quality in intact pork sides. Meat Sci. 1990;27:181-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(90)90050-G
- Maribo H, Olsen EV, Barton-Gade P, Moller AJ, Karlsson A. Effect of early post-mortem cooling on temperature, pH fall and meat quality in pigs. Meat Sci. 1998;50:115-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00022-9
- Kauffman RG, Wachholz D, Henderson D, Lochner JV. Shrinkage of PSE, normal and DFD hams during transit and processing. J Anim Sci. 1978;46:1236-40. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1978.4651236x
- Lawrie RA, Ledward DA. Lawrie's meat science. 7th ed. Cambridge, UK: Woodhead Publishing; 2006.
- Hamilton DN, Ellis M, Miller KD, McKeith FK, Parrett DF. The effect of the halothane and Rendement Napole genes on carcass and meat quality characteristics of pigs. J Anim Sci. 2000;78:2862-7. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.78112862x
- Stoier S, Aaslyng MD, Olsen EV, Henckel P. The effect of stress during lairage and stunning on muscle metabolism and drip loss in Danish pork. Meat Sci. 2000;59:127-31.
- Cannon JE, Morgan JB, McKeith FK, Smith GC, Sonka S, Heavner J, et al. Pork chain quality audit survey: quantification of pork quality characteristics. J Muscle Foods. 1996;7:29-44. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4573.1996.tb00585.x
- Brewer MS, Zhu LG, Bidner B, Meisinger DJ, McKeith FK. Measuring pork color: effects of bloom time, muscle, pH and relationship to instrumental parameters. Meat Sci. 2001;57:169-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(00)00089-9
- Commission Internationale de l'Eclairage (CIE). Recommendations on uniform color spaces-color difference equations, psychometric color terms. Supplement no. 2 to CIE Publication No. 15 (E-1.3.1) 1971/(TC-1-3), Paris; 1978.
- Martin AH, Fredeen HT, L'Hirondelle PJ, Murray AC, Weiss GM. Pork quality attributes: their estimation and their relationships with carcass composition in commercial pigs. Can J Anim Sci. 1981;61:289-98. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas81-037
- Dransfield E, Nute GE, Morttram DS, Rowan TG, Lawrence TLJ. Pork quality from pigs fed on low glucosinate rapeseed meal: influence of level in the diet, sex and ultimate pH. J Sci Food Agri. 1985;36:546-56. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740360705
- DeVol DL, McKeith FK, Bechtel PJ, Novasakofski J, Shanks RD, Carr TR. Variation in composition and palatability traits and relationships between muscle characteristics and palatability in a random sample of pork carcasses. J Anim Sci. 1988;66:385-95. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1988.662385x
- Bidner BS, Ellis M, Miller KD, Hemann M, Campion D, McKeith FK. Effect of the RN gene and feed withdrawal prior to slaughter on fresh Longissimus quality and sensory characteristics. J Anim Sci. 1999;77(Suppl l):49.
- Howard A, Lawrie RA. Spec. Rept. Fd. Invest. Bd., Lond., No. 63. In: Lawrie RA, Ledward DA, editors. Lawrie's meat science. 7th edition. Cambridge, UK: Wood head Publishing; 1956. p. 310.
- Marsh BB, Lochner JV, Takahashi G, Kragness DD. Effects of early postmortem pH and temperature on beef tenderness. Meat Sci. 1981;5:479-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(81)90046-2