- Volume 16 Issue 17
Background: Primary idiopathic myelofibrosis (PMF) is a clonal Ph-chromosome negative myeloproliferative neoplasm characterized by dysregulated kinase signaling and release of abnormal cytokines. In the recent past, following JAK2 V617F mutation invention, important revolution has been made in the molecular diagnostic biology of this disease. The rational of this study was to determine the mutational status of JAK2 V617F in Pakistan patients with PMF. Materials and Methods: In this cross sectional study, 20 patients with PMF were enrolled from January 2011 to December 2014. Diagnosis was based on WHO criteria for PMF. All patients were screened for G-T point mutation (V617F) in the JAK2 gene on chromosome 9 by allele specific PCR. Results: The mean age was
Primary idiopathic myelofibrosis;JAK-2 V617F;mutational analysis;Pakistan
- Arana Yi C, Jeyakumar G, Medina P, et al (2014). Discrepancy in diagnosis of primary myelofibrosis between referral and tertiary care centers. Leuk Res, 38, 91-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leukres.2013.11.002
- Ayad MW, Nafea D (2011). Acquired mutation of the tyrosine kinase JAK2V617F in Egyptian patients with myeloid disorders. Genet Test Mol Biomarkers, 15, 17-21. https://doi.org/10.1089/gtmb.2010.0093
- Baxter EJ, Scott LM, Campbell PJ, et al (2005). Acquired mutation of the tyrosine kinase JAK2 in human myeloproliferative disorders. Lancet, 365, 1054-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)74230-6
- Barosi G, Bergamaschi G, Marchetti M, et al (2007). Gruppo Italiano Malattie Ematologiche Maligne dell'Adulto (GIMEMA) Italian Registry of Myelofibrosis. JAK2 V617F mutational status predicts progression to large splenomegaly and leukemic transformation in primary myelofibrosis. Blood, 110, 4030-6. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2007-07-099184
- Chen YY, Huang CE, Lee KD, Chen CC (2015). Clinical efficacy and safety of ruxolitinib in the management of myelofibrosis: A single institution experience in Taiwan. Hematol. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cross NC (2011). Genetic and epigenetic complexity in myeloproliferative neoplasms. Hematol Am Soc Hematol Educ Program, 2011, 208-14. https://doi.org/10.1182/asheducation-2011.1.208
- Duangnapasatit B, Rattarittamrong E, Rattanathammethee T, et al (2015). Clinical Manifestations and Risk Factors for Complications of Philadelphia Chromosome-Negative Myeloproliferative Neoplasms. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 5013-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.12.5013
- James C, Ugo V, Le Couedic JP, et al (2005). A unique clonal JAK2 mutation leading to constitutive signalling causes polycythaemia vera. Nature, 434, 1144-8 https://doi.org/10.1038/nature03546
- Kim BH, Cho YU, Bae MH, et al (2015). JAK2 V617F, MPL, and CALR mutations in korean patients with essential thrombocythemia and primary myelofibrosis. J Korean Med Sci, 30, 882-8. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2015.30.7.882
- Larsen TS, Pallisgaard N, Moller MB, Hasselbalch HC (2007). The JAK2 V617F allele burden in essential thrombocythemia, polycythemia vera and primary myelofibrosis--impact on disease phenotype. Eur J Haemato, 79, 508-15. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0609.2007.00960.x
- Liu Y, Liu C, He N, et al (2015). JAK2 V617F mutation burden and its clinical implications in 415 patients with myeloproliferative neoplasm. Zhonghua Xue Ye Xue Za Zhi, 36, 91-5.
- Marti-Carvajal AJ, Anand V, Sola I (2015). Janus kinase-1 and Janus kinase-2 inhibitors for treating myelofibrosis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 10, 4.
- Mesa RA, Silverstein MN, Jacobsen SJ, Wollan PC, Tefferi A (1999). Population-based incidence and survival figures in essential thrombocythemia and agnogenic myeloid metaplasia: an Olmsted County Study, 1976-1995. Am J Hematol, 61, 10-15. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-8652(199905)61:1<10::AID-AJH3>3.0.CO;2-I
- Mitra D, Kaye JA, Piecoro LT, et al (2013). Symptom burden and splenomegaly in patients with myelofibrosis in the United States: a retrospective medical record review. Cancer Med, 2, 889-98. https://doi.org/10.1002/cam4.136
- Poopak B, Hagh MF, Saki N, et al (2013). JAK2 V617F mutation in Iranian patients with myeloproliferative neoplasms: clinical and laboratory findings. Turkish J Med Sci, 43, 347-53.
- Sadiq MA, Ahmed S, Ali N (2013). Frequency of Janus associated kinase 2 (JAK2) mutation in patients of BCRABL negative myeloproliferative neoplasms. Applied Life Sci, 2, 235-40.
- Sag SO, Gorukmez O, Ture M, et al (2015). MMP2 gene-735 C/T and MMP9 gene -1562 C/T polymorphisms in JAK2V617F positive myeloproliferative disorders. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 443-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.2.443
- Sazawal S, Bajaj J, Chikkara S, et al (2010). Prevalence of JAK2 V617F mutation in Indian patients with chronic myeloproliferative disorders. Indian J Med Re, 132, 423-7.
- Stein BL, Swords R, Hochhaus A, Giles F (2014). Novel myelofibrosis treatment strategies: potential partners for combination therapies. Leukemia, 28, 2139-47. https://doi.org/10.1038/leu.2014.176
- Singh N, Sazawal S, Upadhyay A, et al (2015). Correlation of JAK2V617F mutational status in primary myelofibrosis with clinico-hematologic characteristics and international prognostic scoring system scoring: a single center experience. Indian J Pathol Microbiol, 58, 187-91. https://doi.org/10.4103/0377-4929.155311
- Tefferi A (2000). Myelofibrosis with myeloid metaplasia. N Engl J Med, 342, 1255-65. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM200004273421706
- Tefferi A, Guglielmelli P, Larson DR, et al (2014). Long-term survival and blast transformation in molecularly annotated essential thrombocythemia, polycythemia vera, and myelofibrosis. Blood, 124, 2507-13. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2014-05-579136
- Thiele J, Kvasnicka HM, Orazi G, Tefferi A, Vardiman JM. Primary myelofibrosis. In: Swerdlow HS, Campo E, Haris LN, et al (2008). WHO classification of tumours of haemopoietic and lymphoid tissues. Lyon: International agency for research on cancer, 44.
- Tevet M, Ionescu R, Dragan C, Lupu AR (2015). Influence of the JAK2 V617F Mutation and Inherited Thrombophilia on the Thrombotic Risk among Patients with Myeloproliferative Disorders. Mae, 10, 27-32.
- Wang J, Xu J, Gale RP, et al (2014). Prognostic impact of splenomegaly on survival of Chinese with primary myelofibrosis. Leuk Res, 38, 1207-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leukres.2014.08.006
- Yang JJ, Chen H, Zheng XQ, et al (2015). Methylated alteration of SHP1 complements mutation of JAK2 tyrosine kinase in patients with myeloproliferative neoplasm. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 2219-25. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.6.2219
- Yonal-Hindilerden I, Daglar-Aday A, Akadam-Teker B, et al (2015). The Burden of JAK2V617F Mutated Allele in Turkish Patients With Myeloproliferative Neoplasms. J Clin Med Res, 7, 161-70. https://doi.org/10.14740/jocmr2047w
- Zhang SP, Li H, Lai RS (2015). Detection of JAK2 V617F mutation increases the diagnosis of myeloproliferative neoplasms. Oncol Lett, 9, 735-8. https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2014.2801