- Volume 16 Issue 17
Background: Leukemia accounts for 8% of total cancer cases and involves all age groups with different prevalence and incidence rates in Iran and the entire world and causes a significant death toll and heavy expenses for diagnosis and treatment processes. This study was done to evaluate epidemiology and morphology of blood cancer during 2003-2008. Materials and Methods: This cross-sectional study was carried out based on re-analysis of the Cancer Registry Center report of the Health Deputy in Iran during a 6-year period (2003 - 2008). Statistical analysis for incidence time trends and morphology change percentage was performed with joinpoint regression analysis using the software Joinpoint Regression Program. Results: During the studied years a total of 18,353 hematopoietic and reticuloendothelial system cancers were recorded. Chi square test showed significant difference between sex and morphological types of blood cancer (P-value<0.001). Joinpoint analysis showed a significant increasing trend for the adjusted standard incidence rate (ASIR) for both sexes (P-value<0.05). Annual percent changes (APC) for women and men were 18.7 and 19.9, respectively. The most common morphological blood cancers were ALL, ALM, MM and CLL which accounted for 60% of total hematopoietic system cancers. Joinpoint analyze showed a significant decreasing trend for ALM in both sexes (P-value<0.05). Conclusions: Hematopoietic system cancers in Iran demonstrate an increasing trend for incidence rate and decreasing trend for ALL, ALM and CLL morphology.
- Almasi Z, Rafiemanesh H, Salehiniya H (2015). Epidemiology characteristics and trends of incidence and morphology of stomach cancer in iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 2757. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2757
- Belson M, Kingsley B, Holmes A (2007). Risk factors for acute leukemia in children: a review. Environmental Health Perspectives, 138-45.
- Bray F, Jemal A, Grey N, et al (2012). Global cancer transitions according to the Human Development Index (2008-2030): a population-based study. Lancet Oncol, 13, 790-801. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(12)70211-5
- Coebergh J, Reedijk A, De Vries E, et al (2006). Leukaemia incidence and survival in children and adolescents in Europe during 1978-1997. Report from the Automated Childhood Cancer Information System project. Eur J Cancer, 42, 2019-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2006.06.005
- Dastgiri S, Fozounkhah S, Shokrgozar S, et al (2011). Incidence of Leukemia in the Northwest of Iran. Health Promot Perspect, 1, 50.
- Dores GM, Devesa SS, Curtis RE, et al (2012). Acute leukemia incidence and patient survival among children and adults in the United States, 2001-2007. Blood, 119, 34-43. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2011-04-347872
- Farahmand M, Almasi Hashiani A, Mohammad BA, et al (2011). The epidemiology of childhood hematopoietic and reticuloendothelial cancer based on Fars province cancer registry data system from 2001 to 2008. Daneshvar Medicine.
- Fritz AG 2000. International classification of diseases for oncology: ICD-O, World Health Organization.
- Hejazi S, Gholami A, Salarilak S, et al (2010). Incidence rate of acute leukemia in west azarbaijan during 2003-2008. The Journal Of Urmia University Of Medical Scinces.
- Howlader N NA KM, Garshell J, Miller D, Altekruse SF, Kosary CL, Yu M, Ruhl J, Tatalovich Z,Mariotto A, Lewis DR, Chen HS, Feuer EJ, Cronin KA (eds). , based on November 2013 SEER data submission, posted to the SEER web site, April 2014. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2011, National Cancer Institute. [Online].
- Igissinov N, Kulmirzayeva D, Moore MA, et al (2014). Epidemiological Assessment of Leukemia in Kazakhstan, 2003. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 6969-72. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6969
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. Ca Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Keyghobadi N, Rafiemanesh H, Mohammadian-Hafshejani A, et al (2014). Epidemiology and trend of cancers in the province of kerman: southeast of iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 1409-13.
- Mirzaei M, Hosseini SA, Ghoncheh M, et al (2015). Epidemiology and Trend of Head and Neck Cancers in Iran. Global J Health Science, 8, 189.
- Modak H, Kulkarni SS, Kadakol G, et al (2011). Prevalence and risk of leukemia in the multi-ethnic population of North Karnataka. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 671-5.
- Novak I, Jaksic O, Kulis T, et al (2012). Incidence and mortality trends of leukemia and lymphoma in Croatia, 1988-2009. Croatian Med J, 53, 115-23. https://doi.org/10.3325/cmj.2012.53.115
- Park HJ, Park EH, Jung KW, et al (2012). Statistics of hematologic malignancies in Korea: incidence, prevalence and survival rates from 1999 to 2008. Korean J Hematol, 47, 28-38. https://doi.org/10.5045/kjh.2012.47.1.28
- Raab MS, Podar K, Breitkreutz I, et al (????). Multiple Myeloma. Lancet, 374, 324-39.
- Rafiemanesh H, Rajaei-Behbahani N, Khani Y, et al (2015). Incidence trend and epidemiology of common cancers in the center of Iran. Global J Health Sci, 8, 146. https://doi.org/10.5539/gjhs.v8n7p146
- Rajabli N, Naeimi-Tabeie M, Jahangirrad A, et al (2013). Epidemiology of leukemia and multiple myeloma in Golestan, Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2333-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2333
- Razi S, Rafiemanesh H, Ghoncheh M, et al (2014). Changing Trends of Types of Skin Cancer in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 4955-8.
- Rodriguez-Abreu D, Bordoni A, Zucca E (2007). Epidemiology of hematological malignancies. Ann Oncol, 18, 3.
- Sant M, Allemani C, Tereanu C, et al (2010). Incidence of hematological malignancies in Europe by morphological subtype: results of the HAEMACARE project. Blood, blood-2010-05-282632.
- Santos SI (1999). Cancer epidemiology, principles and methods. Cancer epidemiology, principles and methods.
- Smith A, Howell D, Patmore R, et al (2011). Incidence of haematological malignancy by sub-type: a report from the Haematological Malignancy Research Network. British J Cancer, 105, 1684-92. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2011.450
- Tahmasebi B, Mahmoudi M, YAHYAPOUR Y, et al (2006). Determination and comparison of incidence rate and trend of morbidity of leukemia and lymphoma in Mazandaran province (1376-1382). Journal of Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences.
- Thygesen LC, Nielsen OJ, Johansen C (2009). Trends in adult leukemia incidence and survival in Denmark, 1943-2003. Cancer Causes Control, 20, 1671-80. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-009-9417-9
- Van den Broek E, Kater A, van de Schans S, et al (2012). Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia in the Netherlands: trends in incidence, treatment and survival, 1989-2008. Eur J Cancer, 48, 889-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2011.06.053
- Xie WC, Chan MH, Mak KC, et al (2012). Trends in the Incidence of 15 Common Cancers in Hong Kong. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3911-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3911
- Zand A, Imani S, Saadati M, et al (2010). Effect of age, gender and blood group on blood cancer types. Kowsar Medical J, 15, 111-4.
- Curcumin as a therapeutic agent in leukemia pp.00219541, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcp.28072