- Volume 16 Issue 17
Background: Hazardous health behaviour in young people is an important factor that affects the individual risk for non-communicable diseases and other disorders later in life. This study aimed to determine the hazardous health behaviour of first and last class medical students of Erciyes University. Materials and Methods: This descriptive study was carried out with 240 medical students from the first and 130 students from the last (sixth) class. Data were obtained by questionnaire between March-April 2012. In total, 339 students were included with a response rate of 91.6%. Socio-demographic characteristics, school success, self-reported economic difficulties, health perceptions, hazardous health behaviour related to chronic disease, tobacco, alcohol, substance use, body weight, height, traffic, violence and nutrition were assessed in line with the literature. Results: Of the participants; 64.0% were from first and 36.0% were from the last class. Mean ages for the first and last classes were
- Al-Sayed AA, Al-Rashoudi AH, Al-Eisa AA, et al (2014). Sedative drug use among King Saud University medical students: a cross-sectional sampling study. Depress Res Treat, 378738, 1-7.
- Amin TT, Al Sultan AI, Mostafa OA, et al (2014). Profile of non-communicable disease risk factors among employees at a Saudi university. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 7897-907. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.7897
- Ayhan DE, Gunaydin E, Gonluacik E, et al (2012). The characteristics and related factors of the students' of Uludag University Medical Faculty. Uludag Universitesi Tip Fakultesi Dergisi, 38, 97-104 (in Turkish).
- Bayrak U, Gram E, Menges E, et al (2010). The knowledge and attitude of university students about health habitude and cancer. DEU Tip Fakultesi Dergisi, 24, 95-104 (in Turkish).
- Braams BR, van Duijvenvoorde AC, Peper JS, Crone EA (2015). Longitudinal changes in adolescent risk-taking: a comprehensive study of neural responses to rewards, pubertal development, and risk-taking behavior. J Neurosci, 35, 7226-38. https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.4764-14.2015
- Brown FC, Buboltz WC, Soper B (2002). Relationship of sleep hygiene awareness, sleep hygiene practices, and sleep quality in university. Behavioral Med, 28, 33-8. https://doi.org/10.1080/08964280209596396
- Camur D, Uner S, Cilingiroglu N, Ozcebe H (2007). Risk taking behaviors of students from different faculties in a university. Toplum Hekimligi Bulteni, 26, 32-8 (in Turkish).
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) (Date of access: 03.07.2012). About Body Mass Index for Adults. www.cdc.gov/az.do.
- Cetinkaya F, Biricik SS, Nacar M (2006). Prevalance of smoking and attitudes of the physicians and medical students towards smoking. Erciyes Med J, 28, 163-71.
- Chourdakis M, Tzellos T, Papazisis G, et al (2010). Eating habits, health attitudes and obesity indices among medical students in northern Greece. Appetite, 55, 722-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2010.08.013
- d'Alessio, M, Baiocco R, Laghi F (2006) The problem of binge drinking among Italian university students: a preliminary investigation. Addict Behav, 31, 2328-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2006.03.002
- Ercan O, Alikasifoglu M, Erginoz E, et al (2001). The distribution of risky health behaviors according to sex on Istanbul high school teens. (Cerrahpasa Youth Health Survey 2000). Turk Pediatri Arsivi, 36, 199-211 (in Turkish).
- Gorgun S, Tiryaki A, Topbas M (2010). Substance use and connecting to parents formats among university students. Anadolu Psikiyatri Dergisi, 11, 305-12 (in Turkish).
- Irwin JD (2004). Prevalence of university students' sufficient physical activity: A systematic review. Perceptual Motor Skills, 98, 927-43. https://doi.org/10.2466/pms.98.3.927-943
- Kabir MA, Goh KL, Kamal SM, Khan MM (2013) Tobacco smoking and its association with illicit drug use among young men aged 15-24 years living in urban slums of Bangladesh. PLoS One, 8, 68728. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0068728
- Kann L, Kinchen S, Shanklin SL, et al (2014). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Youth risk behavior surveillance--United States, 2013. MMWR Surveill Summ, 63,1-168.
- Kara B, Hatun S, Aydogan M, et al (2003). Evaluation of the health risk behaviors of high school students in Kocaeli. Cocuk Sagligi ve Hastaliklari Dergisi, 46, 30-7 (in Turkish).
- Maziak W (2010). Commentary: The waterpipe-A global epidemic or a passing fad? Int J Epidemiol, 39, 857-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyq054
- Murphy-Hoefer R, Griffith R, Pederson LL, et al (2005). A review of interventions to reduce tobacco use in colleges and universities. Am J Prev Med, 28, 188-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2004.10.015
- Nacar M, Baykan Z, Cetinkaya F, et al (2014). Health promoting lifestyle behaviour in medical students: a multicentre study from Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8969-74. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.20.8969
- Ogel K, Corapcioglu A, Sir A, Tamara M, et al (2004). Tobacco, alcohol and substance use prevalence among elementary and secondary school students in nine cities of Turkey. Turkish J Psychiatry, 15, 112-8.
- Ozdinc IY (2004). Factors influencing university students' consumption of fast-food consumption habits and preferences points. Anatolia: Turizm Arastirmalari Dergisi, 15, 71-9 (in Turkish)..
- Poyrazoglu S, Sarli S, Gencer Z, Gunay O (2010). Waterpipe (narghile) smoking among medical and non-medical university students in Turkey. Upsala J Med Sci, 115, 210-6. https://doi.org/10.3109/03009734.2010.487164
- Primack BA, Shensa A, Kim KH, et al (2013). Waterpipe smoking among U.S. university students. Nicotine Tob Res, 15, 29-35. https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/nts076
- Roldan MC, Herreros PV, Andres AL, et al (2005). Nutritional status assessment in a group of university students by means of dietary parameters amd body composition. Nutr Hosp, 20, 197-203.
- Roncero C, Egido A, Rodriguez-Cintas L, et al (2015). Substance Use among Medical Students: A Literature Review 1988-2013. Actas Esp Psiquiatr, 43, 109-21.
- Sahin S, Cinar N (2015). Perceptions of turkish university students about the effects of water pipe smoking on health. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 4615-21. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.11.4615
- Shaheen AM, Nassar OS, Amre HM, Hamdan-Mansour AM (2015). Factors affecting health promoting behaviors of university students in Jordan. Health, 7, 1-8.
- Simsek Z, Koruk I, Altindag A (2007). Health risk behaviors of first year students of Harran University Medical Faculty and Faculty of Science and Letters. Toplum Hekimligi Bulteni, 26, 19-24 (in Turkish).
- Soriano JM, Molto JC, Manes J (2000). Dietary intake and food pattern among university students. Nutrition Res, 20, 1249-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(00)00217-7
- Tanaka M, Mizuno K, Fukuda S, Shigihara Y, Watanabe Y (2008). Relationships between dietary habits and the prevalence of fatigue in medical students. Nutrition, 24, 985-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2008.05.003
- von Ruesten A, Weikert C, Fietze I, Boeing H (2012). Association of sleep duration with chronic diseases in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC)-Potsdam study. PLoS One, 7, 30972. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0030972
- Yahia N, Achkar A, Abdallah A, Rizk S (2008). Eating habits and obesity among Lebanese university students. Nutrition J, 7, 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-2891-7-1
- Yalcin M, Essizoglu A, Akkoc H, et al (2009). Risk factors associated with substance use among Dicle University Students. Klinik Psikiyatri, 12, 125-33 (in Turkish).
- Yilmazel G (2013). Perceived social support and health related behaviors at the School of Health Students. Yeni Symposium, 51, 151-7 (in Turkish).
- Youth and Road Safety. WHO Library Cataloguing-in-Publication Data. World Health Organization, Geneva, 2007. (Date of access: 09.05.2014)
- Association between migration and physical activity among medical students from a university located in Lima, Peru vol.14, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0212009