- Volume 33 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Numerical Investigation on the Flow Noise Characteristics of the Hybrid Vertical-axis Wind Turbine
복합형 수직축 풍력발전기의 유동소음특성에 관한 수치적 고찰
- Received : 2014.08.06
- Accepted : 2014.09.23
- Published : 2014.11.30
In this paper, flow noise characteristics of the hybrid vertical-axis wind turbine is investigated. Hybrid vertical-axis wind turbines consisting of two types of vertical-axis wind turbines, Savonius and Darrieus, are devised to maximize merits of one turbine and thus minimize demerits of the other turbine. In order to predict flow noise radiating from hybrid vertical-axis wind turbines, hybrid computatioinal aero acoustic techniques are used. First, unsteady flow fields around the turbine are predicted using computational fluid dynamics method. Then, the flow noise radiations from the turbines are predicted by applying acoustic analogy to the predicted flow fields. Based on numerical results, noise characteristics of a hybrid vertical-axis wind turbine is investigated and is compared with those of Savonius and Darrieus wind turbines.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- M. S. U. K. Fernando and V. J. Modi, "A numerical analysis of the unsteady flow past a savonius wind turbine," J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerodyn 32, 303-327 (1989). https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(89)90005-6
- N. Fujisawa, "On the torque mechanism of savonius rotors," J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerodyn 40, 277-292 (1992). https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(92)90380-S
- J. V. Akwa, G. A. da Silva Junior, and A. P. Petry, "Discussion on the verification of the overlap ratio influence on performance coefficients of a savonius wind rotor using computational fluid dynamics," Renew. Energy 38, 141-149 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2011.07.013
- M. H. Mohamed, G. Janiga, E. Pap, and D. Thevenin, "Optimal blade shape of a modified savonius turbine using an obstacle shielding the returning blade," Energy Convers. Manag. 52, 236-242 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2010.06.070
- M. A. Kamoji, S. B. Kedare, and S. V. Prabhu, "Experimental investigations on single stage, two stage and three stage conventional Savonius rotor," Int. J. Energy Res. 32, 877-895 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1002/er.1399
- S. Kim and C. Cheong, "Numerical analysis on the flow noise characteristics of savonius wind turbines" (in Korean), Trans. KSNVE 23, 502-511 (2013). https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVE.2013.23.6.502
- S. Kim and C. Cheong, "Numerical analysis on the low noise designs of savonius wind turbines by inducing phase difference in vortex shedding" (in Korean), Trans. Korea Soc. Mech. Eng. A 38, 269-274 (2014). https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2014.38.3.269
- N. Hill, R. Dominy, G. Ingram, and J. Dominy, "Darrieus turbines: the physics of self-starting," Proc. IMechE. 223, PartA: J. PowerandEnergy 21-29 (2009).
- A. Rossetti and G. Pavesi, "Comparison of different numerical approaches to the study of the H-Darrieus turbines start-up," Renew. Energy 50, 7-19 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2012.06.025
- H. Beri and Y. Yao, "Numerical simulation of unsteady flow to show self-starting of vertical axis wind turbine using fluent," J. Appl. Sci. 11, 962-970 (2011). https://doi.org/10.3923/jas.2011.962.970
- A. Iida, A. Mizuno, and K. Fukudome, "Numerical simulation of aerodynamic noise radiated from vertical axis wind turbines," Proceedings of 18th International Congress on Acoustics, 2004.
- M. J. Lighthill, "On sound generated aerodynamically. I. general theory," Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A. Math. Phys. Sci. 211, 564-587 (1952).
- M. J. Lighthill, "On sound generated aerodynamically. II. turbulence as a source of sound," Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A. Math. Phys. Sci. 222, 1-32 (1954).
- J. E. Ffowcs Williams and D. L. Hawkings, "Sound generation by turbulence and surfaces in arbitrary motion," Philos. Trans. A. Math. Phys. Eng. Sci. 264, 321-342 (1969). https://doi.org/10.1098/rsta.1969.0031
- Fluent 12.0 Theory Guide, ANSYS (2009).