- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Usefulness of Meyerhold's 'Biomechanics' as an Alternative for a Method of Actor Training II - Focused on the Actual Training Program of 'Biomechanics'
배우 훈련 방법의 대안으로서 메이어홀드 '인체역학'의 효용성 II - '인체역학'의 실제 훈련 프로그램을 중심으로
- 조한준 (한양대학교 연극영화학과)
- Received : 2014.07.04
- Accepted : 2014.09.26
- Published : 2014.11.28
The 'Biomechanics', which was devised to systematically train actor's material and medium, is evaluated as the first approach to an acting method in earnest with Stanislavsky's 'System'. Especially, due to the psycho-physical features of 'Biomechanics' that helps an actor to master a mechanism of human being such as stimulus, impulse and reaction, it was valued as an alternative for a naturalistic acting method that was excessively focused on the actor's emotional expression. However, the 'Biomechanics' is not utilized with activity in a field of actor training in Korea compared with Stanislavsky's 'The Method of Physical Action' which has a similar starting point as the psycho-physical feature. It is because of a political reason that a study for Meyerhold was officially forbidden in Russia until the mid-twentieth century. It is also because of a limit that incorporeal features of the 'Biomechanics' could not but be explained only by publications, especially translation. In this sense, as part of seeking for a new alternative of acting methods in Korea, this study will explore a possibility of applying the 'Biomechanics' to the actual actor training field through correct understanding of it.
- Robert Leach, Makers of Modern Theatre - An Introduction, Routledge, p.71, 2004.
- Robert Gordon, The Purpose of Playing - Modern Acting Theories in Perspective, The University of Michigan Press, pp.111-113, 2006.
- Jonathan Pitches, "Two Perspectives on the Phenomenon of Biomechanics in Contemporary Performance," Studies In Theatre Production, Vol.16, p.101, 1996.
- Jonathan Pitches, Vsevolod Meyerhold, Routledge, p.127, 2003.
- Alma Law and Meyerhold Mel Gordon, Eisenstein and Biomechanics - Actor Training in Revolutionary Russia, McF, p.99, 1996.
- Jonathan Pitches, Vsevolod Meyerhold, Routledge, p.113, 2003.
- Jonathan Pitches, Vsevolod Meyerhold, Routledge, p.115, 2003.
- Jonathan Pitches, Vsevolod Meyerhold, Routledge, p.76, 2003.
- Nicole Potter, Movement for Actors, Allworth Press, p.4, 2002.
- Robert Leach, Makers of Modern Theatre - An Introduction, Routledge, p.77, 2004.
- Jonathan Pitches, Vsevolod Meyerhold, Routledge, p.99, 2003.