- Volume 15 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
The Effect of the Cultural Competence in Multicultural Nursing Education by Action Learning
액션러닝 기반의 다문화 간호교육이 문화적 역량 증진에 미치는 효과
- Kim, Yeon-Soon (Department of Early Childhood Education, Chunnam Techno University) ;
- Kim, Jin-Young (Department of Education, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2014.08.19
- Accepted : 2014.11.06
- Published : 2014.11.30
This research aims is to confirm the effects of cultural competence of an action learning based teaching method in multicultural nursing education. Cultural competence was composed of cultural knowledge, cultural awareness and cultural acceptance. A total of 118 college students were enrolled in this study. Both before and after learning, the students were guided to fill out a questionnaire regarding culture competence. The students from each group studied multicultural nursing by different teaching types: the Traditional Lecture-based Teaching method (TLT) and Action Learning based Teaching method (ALT). Data analysis was carried out by SPSS 21.0. A pre-post comparison within the group was performed using a paired t-test and the comparison between groups was performed using ANCOVA. The results showed that there was a significant difference in the culture competence in both teaching methods. In addition, ALT showed higher cultural acceptance results than TLT; however, there was no difference in cultural knowledge and cultural awareness between the two groups Therefore, ALT should be considered as a teaching method to enhance cultural competence in multicultural nursing education for Nursing students. Further studies on instructional design according to the task types, nursing performance, and the validity of ALT will be needed.
- C. K. Koh, S. K. Koh, "Married Female Migrants' Experiences of Health Care Services", The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, Vol.15 No.1, pp.89-99, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2009.15.1.089 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2009.15.1.089
- M. J. Choi, S. B. Im, "Communication Experiences between Nurses and Married Immigrant Women during their Children's Hospitalization", Journal of Health Communication, Vol.6 No.2, pp.133-148, 2011.
- Campina-Bacote J, "Becoming culturally competent in ethnic psychopharmacology", Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services, Vol.45 No.9, pp.27-33, 2007.
- S. Y. Han, "Development of a cultural Competence Scale for Nursing Students", unpublished doctorate thesis, Chonnam National University, 2014.
- M. S. Park, "Study on Cultural Competence of Nurses Working in General Hospital", unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, 2011.
- D. H. Kim, S. E. Kim, "Cultural Competence and Factors Influencing Cultural Competence in Nursing Students", Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs, Vol.22 No.3, pp.159-168, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2013.22.3.159 https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2013.22.3.159
- I. S. Lee, J. Y. Cho, "A study on the Cultural Competency and Demand for a Multicultural Education Program among Nursing College Students", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial, Vol.15 No1, pp.283-290, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.1.283 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.1.283
- M. S. Park, Y. R. Gweon, "Effects of a Cultural Competence Promotion Program for Multicultural Maternity Nursing Care: Case-based Small Group Learning", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol.43 No.5, pp.626-635, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.5.626 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.5.626
- H. C. Bong, W. Y. Eom, Understanding Action Learning, Hakjisa Publishers, 2014.
- J. Y. Jung, G. P. Hong, J. A. Lee, PBL and Action Learning, Hakjisa Publisher, 2012.
- Y. T. Seo, H. C. Bong, "Types of Action Learning Program and their Characteristics: Results of 10 Case Studies", Koreanische Zeitschrift fuer Wirtschaftswissenschaften, Vol.26 No.2, pp.83-115, 2008.
- H. S. Kim, H. C. Bong, "A Study on the Development of a Competency Model for Action Learning Coach", Koreanische Zeitschrift fuer Wirtschaftswissenschaften, Vol.28 No.2, pp.53-80, 2010.
- K. S. Jang, S. J. Park, "Effects of Action Learning Approaches on Learning Outcomes in Nursing Management Courses", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society. Vol.18 No.4, pp.442-451, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.4.442 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.4.442
- Y. M. Kim, Y. H. Kim, "Development and Evaluation of Action Learning in Clinical Practice of Nursing Management", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.10 No.6, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2010.10.6.312 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2010.10.6.312
- Y. M. Kim, "Evaluation of Design and Operation of Acion Learning based Nursing Professionalism Course for Nursing Students", unpublished doctorate thesis, Chonnam National University, 2012.
- E. H. Koh, S. S. Yang, "The Mediating Effects of Learning Attitude on Achievement Goal Orientation and Non-cognitive Results in Action Learning", The Korean Journal of Eductional Methodology Studies, Vol.24 No.2, pp.477-501, 2012.
- E. H. Peek, C. S. Park, "Effects of a Multicultural Education Program on the Cultural Competence, Empathy and Self-efficacy of Nursing Students" Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol.43 No.5, pp.690-696, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.5.690 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.5.690
- S. H. Kim, "Development of Educational Program for Cultural Competence in Nursing for Nursing Students and its Effects", The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, Vol.19 No.4, pp.580-593, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.580
- M. H. Park, E. A. Park. "Effect of Cultural Competence Education for Nurse". Multicultural Education Studies, Vol.6 No.2, pp.115-133, 2013.
- Caffery, R. A., Neander, W., Markle, D., Stewart, B., "Improving the cultural competence of nursing students: Results of integrating cultural", Journal of Nursing Education, 44, pp.234-240, 2005.
- Hawala-Druy, S., Hill, M. H., "Interdisciplinary: Cultural competency and culturally congruent education for millennialsin health professions". Nurse Education Today, 32, pp.772-778, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2012.05.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2012.05.002
- G. J. Yoon, "The Effects of Cultural Empathy, Critical Thinking, Disposition and Problem-Solving on the Cultural Competence of Early Childhood Preservice Teachers", Korean Journal of Culture and Arts Education Studies, Vol.9 No3, pp.105-129, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15815/kjcaes.2014.9.3.105
- S. Y. Yang, H. N. Lim, J. H. Lee, The study on Relationship between Cultural Competency and Empathy of Nursing students, J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu, Vol.19 No.2, pp.183-193, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.2.183 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.2.183
- N. M. Yun, "A study on the Effects of Reading Discussion by Action Learning on the Jr. High School Students' Self-efficacy and Empathy", unpublished master's thesis, Kyonggi University, 2013.
- E. H. Koh, Research on Instructional Improvement of Faculty with Action Learning , The Korean Journal of Eductional Methodology Studies, Vol.25 No.1, pp.69-94, 2013.
- K. W. Chang, "A Model of Action Learning Program Design in Higher Education", Journal of Educational Technology, Vol.27 No.3, pp.475-505, 2011. https://doi.org/10.17232/KSET.27.3.475
- M. R. Eom, I. W. Park IW, "The Investigation of Learner-Related Variables Influencing the Effect of Reflective Journal Writing on Learning in e-Portfolio", Journal of Educational Technology, Vol.27 No.1, pp.213-246, 2011. https://doi.org/10.17232/KSET.27.1.213
- A. R. Han, A Study on the Effect of Reflective Journal Writing as a Post-reading Activity upon Korean High School Students Reading Ability and Attitude, unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, 2010.