- Volume 50 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Ecosystem-based resource assessment on coastal fisheries of Uljin in East Sea of Korea
한국 동해 울진 연안어업의 생태계 기반 자원평가
- Received : 2014.10.21
- Accepted : 2014.11.27
- Published : 2014.11.30
Coastal fisheries in Korean waters have highly complexity with a variety of fishing gears, and scale of those fisheries is smaller than that of offshore fisheries. As a result, important spawning and nursery grounds for many species of fish has been destroyed. The pragmatic ecosystem-based approach was developed for the assessment of fisheries resources in Korean waters by Zhang et al. (2009; 2010). As for the species risk index (SRI), common squid caught by coastal gillnet in the Uljin region had the highest risk. As for the fisheries risk index (FRI), coastal gillnet in the Uljin coastal waters had the highest risk. For the common squid which had the highest SRI, resources management strategies must be established such as catch prohibition of length and period with TAC. For the coastal gillnet in the Uljin region which had the highest FRI, it is judged to need management plans for conserving biodiversity as reducing the catch of non-target species and discards. Also to protect existing habitat, illegal fishery should be prohibited, and fishing gears should be designed in the environmental-friendly way considering when fishing gears lost.
Coastal fisheries;Ecosystem-based resource assessment;East Sea;Coastal gillnet;Coastal jigging
- Cha HK, Lee SI, Yoon SC, Kim YS, Chun YY, Chang DS and Yang JH. 2007. Maturation and spawning of the Pacific cod, Gadus macrocephalus TILESIUS in East Sea of Korea. J Kor Soc Tech 43(4), 320-329. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2007.43.4.320
- FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization). 2005. Discards in the world's marine fisheries. FAO Technical Paper, 470, 1-131.
- KOSIS (Korean Statistical Information System). 2011. http://kosis.kr
- NFRDI (National Fisheries Research and Development Institute). 2010b. The research on the coastal and offshore fisheries in Korea -Kyoungsangbukdo-. 1-327.
- MOF (Ministry of Ocean and Fisheries). 2007-2011. Fisheries Policy Supporting System. http://10.184.55.45/sign/index.jsp.
- NFRDI (National Fisheries Research and Development Institute). 2008. The Report on the examination and research of snow crabs in Kyeongsangbukdo. 1-158.
- NFRDI (National Fisheries Research and Development Institute). 2010a. Ecology and fishing ground of major commercial species in the Korean EEZ. Ye-Moon Publ. 1-405.
- NFRDI (National Fisheries Research and Development Institute). 2013. The annual report on improvement of fishing quality of coastal and offshore in Korea V-. 1-223.
- Park HW. 2013. A study on the risk scoring and risk index for the ecosystem-based fisheries assessment. Ph.D. Thesis, Pukyoung National University, 1-198.
- Park HW, Zhang CI, Kwon YJ, Seo YI and Oh TY. 2013. A study on the risk scoring and risk index for the ecosystem-based fisheries assessment. J Kor Soc Tech 49(4), 469-482. (DOI : http://dx.doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2013.49.4.469) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2013.49.4.469
- Seo YI. 2011. Ecosystem-based stock assessment and fisheries management in the southern sea of Korea. Ph.D. Thesis, Pukyoung National University, 1-168.
- Zhang CI. 2006. A study on the ecosystem-based management system for fisheries resources in Korea. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 42(4), 240-258. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2006.42.4.240
- Zhang CI, Kim S, Gunderson D, Marasco R, Lee JB, Park HW and Lee JH. 2009. An ecosystem-based fisheries assessment approach for Korean fisheries. Fish Res 100, 26-41. (DOI : 10.1016/j.fishers.2008.12.002) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2008.12.002
- Zhang CI, Park HW, Lim JH, Kwon HC and Kim DH. 2010. A study on indicators and reference points for the ecosystem-based resource assessment. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 46(1), 32-49. (DOI : 10.3796/KSFT.2010.46.1.032) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2010.46.1.032
- Yoon SC. 2014. Characteristics of Korean coastal fisheries and ecosystem-based resource assessment. Ph.D. Thesis, Pukyong National University, Korea. 1-226.
- Yoon SC, Zhang CI, Yang JH, Choi KW and Lee DW. 2014. Characteristics of Korean coastal fisheries. J Kor Fish Soc. (Submitted).
Supported by : 국립수산과학원