- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of Nurse Presence Program on Anxiety and Physiological Indicators in Patients with Gynecological Surgery
Nurse Presence 프로그램이 산부인과 수술환자의 불안 및 생리적 지수에 미치는 효과
- Received : 2014.09.15
- Accepted : 2014.10.15
- Published : 2014.11.28
Purpose: This study was to examine the effects of Nurse Presence (NP) program on anxiety and physiological indicators in patients with gynecological surgery. Methods: This study used a randomized control group pre-test, post-test design. The patients were 25-65 years old who had undergone gynecological surgery with general anesthesia. The subjects were divided into an experimental group (n=30) and the control group (n=30). SPSS 21.0 was used to analyze the data with Chi-square, Fisher's exact test, t-test, and one sample t-test. Results: The results show that there were significant differences in anxiety and heart rate and were no significant differences in systolic pressure or peripheral oxygen saturation of the experimental group which received the NP program. Conclusion: Nurse Presence program decreased pulse rate which is a physiological indicator by relieving the anxiety of the patients before gynecological surgery. Thus, this intervention is effective to relieve anxiety of the patients before gynecological surgery and should be utilized in clinics.
- Jo, K. H., & Cho, Y. S. (2001). Development of nurse presence scale. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 31(3), 369-379. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2001.31.3.369
- Chang, S. B., Kim, H. S., Ko, Y. H., Bae, S. H., & An, S. E. (2009). Effects of abdominal breathing on anxiety, blood pressure, peripheral skin temperature and saturation oxygen of pregnant women in preterm labor. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 15(1), 32-42. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2009.15.1.32
- Choi, M. S., & Lee, E. J. (2012). Effects of Noise Block on Anxiety and Vital Sign Of Patients with Gynecologic Laparoscopic Surgery in Operating Room. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 21(3), 317-325. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.3.317
- Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd ed.). New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Hung, C. T., Chow, Y. F., Fung, C. F., Koo, C. H., Lui, K. C., & Lam, A. (2002). Safety and comfort during sedation for diagnostic or therapeutic Procedures. Hong Kong Medical Journal, 8(2), 114-122.
- Jo, K. H. (1999). The Effect of nurse presence program on depression, stress and quality of life of hemodialysis patient. Unpublished doctoral dissertation. Catholic University, Seoul.
- Jo, K. H. (2007). Effects of a nurse presence program on suicide prevention for elders with a chronic disease. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 37(7), 1027-1038. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.7.1027
- Jo, K. W., & Kim, M. J. (1999). Concept analysis of presence. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 6(2), 320-330.
- Kang, G. S., & Jun, E. M. (2010). The effect of the video education program on the residual urine, gas passing and state anxiety of hysterectomy patients. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 16(4), 409-418. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2010.16.4.409
- Kim, H. S., & Chang, C. J. (2000). The effect of foot massage on anxiety response in preoperative patients undergoing total hysterectomy. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 6(4), 579-593.
- Kim, E. Y., & Choi, E. S. (2010). Effect of head and neck massage on anxiety, pain and discomfort in hysterectomy patients. Korean Journal Women Health Nursing, 16(1), 60-68. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2010.16.1.60
- Kim, Y. J. (2013). Effect of nurse presence program on Anxiety and Physiological indicator for patients undergoing local anesthesia. Unpublished master's thesis. Daegu Catholic University, Daegu.
- Lee, M. S. (2009). The effect of foot massage on patients with post-operative pain and anxiety following abdominal surgery. Unpublished master's thesis. Eulji University, Daejeon.
- McCloskey, J. C., & Bulecheck, G. M. (1996). Nursing intervention Classification (2nd ed.). St. Louis: Mosby.
- Park, H. S., Kim, T. K., Kim, H. M., Shon, K. H., Lee, H. K., Jun, S. S., et al. (2008). Psychiatric nursing contemporary practice. Seoul: Hyunmoonsa.
- McNair, D. L., & Droppleman, L. F. (1992). Manual for the profile of mood states. San Diego: Education and Industrial Testing Service.
- Norred, C. L. (2000). Minimizing preoperative anxiety with alternative caring-healing therapies. Association of Operating Room Nurses, 72(5), 838-843. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0001-2092(06)62015-2
- Oh, J., Kim, H. J., & Park, J. H. (2008). Effect of aroma therapy on the anxiety, blood pressure and pulse of uterine leiomyoma patients before surgery. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 14(1), 28-35.
- Park, S. H., & Park, K. S. (2000). The effect of music therapy on the pre operative anxiety of surgical patients. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 12(4), 654-665.
- Shin, H. Y., & Yi, M. S. (2005). Effect of intraoperative music therapy on Anxiety in Patients undergoing local anesthesia. The Korean Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing, 12(1), 131-138.
- Snyder, M. (1992). Independent nursing interventions (2nd ed.). New York: Delmar.
- Szocik, J. F., Tremper, K. K., & Barker, S. J. (2005). Fundamental principles of monitoring instrumentation. In: Miller's Anesthesia (6th ed.). New York: Churchill Livingstone Inc.
- Watson, A. T., & Visram, A. (2003). Children's preoperative anxiety and postoperative behaviour. Pediatric Anesthesia, 13(3), 188-204. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1460-9592.2003.00848.x
- Identification of Nursing Diagnosis-Outcome-Intervention Linkages for Inpatients in Gynecology Department Nursing Units vol.22, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2016.22.3.170
- Intraoperative Caring Behavior and Anxiety as Perceived by Patients Undergoing Spinal Surgery under Local Anesthesia vol.22, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2015.22.2.96