- Volume 4 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Sick or sickness? The importance of person centred healthcare and medicine paradigm
- Tassinari, Mariateresa (Charity Association for Person Centered Medicine - Moral Entity) ;
- Roberti di Sarsina, Paolo (Charity Association for Person Centered Medicine - Moral Entity)
- Received : 2013.11.29
- Accepted : 2014.09.25
- Published : 2014.11.30
When you act for a good or just when you make a choice, you should ask yourself if the result of your action coincides with the principle that has generated it. Health and respect for our own individuality are two essential goods for the human being and also values that medicine itself should guard carefully remembering that its goal is to take care for a person and not only to cure a sick body. The means to achieve all this can only be a person-centered medicine which has the honor and the burden of considering the person (in the Kantian sense) and his health as an end, not a means. The current mainstream concept of health defined in 1948 by the World Health Organization as a state of complete mental, physical and social wellbeing and not merely the absence of disease and infirmity remind us that medical reasoning, based on the pathogenesis operator, is no longer sufficient in dealing with requests from the citizens: is now the right time to shift the focus from sickness to health giving emphasis to the salutogenic medicine approach.
- Basili A, Lagona F, Roberti di Sarsina P, Basili C, Paterna VT. Allopathic Versus Homeopathic Strategies and the Recurrence of Prescriptions: Results from a Pharmacoeconomic Study in Italy. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2009;2011:1-6.
- Alivia M. Salutogenesi. In Le peculiarità sociali delle medicine non convenzionali. Cipolla C, Roberti di Sarsina P ed. (Milan, Italy: FrancoAngeli), pp. 228-250, 2009.
- Alivia M, Guadagni P, Roberti di Sarsina P. Towards salutogenesis in the development of a personalised and preventative healthcare. EPMA J. 2011;2:381-384. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13167-011-0131-9
- Anderson TS, Dave S, Good CB, Gellad WF. Academic medical center leadership on pharmaceutical company boards of directors. JAMA. 2014;311:1353-1355. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2013.284925
- Antonovsky A. Health, stress and coping. (San Francisco, USA: Jossey-Bass), 1979.
- Aung Steven KH. Healing and the spiritual impetus and quest. Medical Acupuncture. 2007;19:63-67. https://doi.org/10.1089/acu.2007.0531
- Coulter,A, Locock L, Ziebland S, Calabrese J. Collecting data on patient experience is not enough: they must be used to improve care. BMJ. 2014;348:g2225. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.g2225
- Diener E, Chan YM. Happy people live longer: subjective wellbeing contributes to health and longevity. Appl Psychol Health Well Being. 2011;3:1-43. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1758-0854.2010.01045.x
- Dover, C. Spurious syndromes: we create disease by giving illness a name. BMJ. 2014;348:g1828. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.g1828
- Dowrick C. Medicalising unhappiness: new classification of depression risks more patients being put on drug treatment from which they will not benefit. BMJ. 2013;347:f7140. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.f7140
- Dworkin R. Life's dominion: An argument about abortion, euthanasia, and individual freedom. (New York, USA: Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group), p. 273, 1993.
- Gerber A, Lauterbach KW. Evidence-based Medicine: Why do opponents and proponents use the same arguments?. Health Care Anal. 2005;13:59-71. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10728-005-2570-8
- Giarelli G, Roberti di Sarsina P. Le Medicine Non Convenzionali in Italia. Storie, problemi e prospettive di integrazione. Silvestrini B ed. (Milan, Italy: FrancoAngeli), 2007.
- Habermas, Jurgen. The Theory of Communicative Action. Vol. 1. (Boston, USA: Beacon Press), 1984.
- Jonas WB. Building an evidence house: Challenges and solutions to research in CAM. Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd. 2005;12:159-167. https://doi.org/10.1159/000085412
- Habermas, Jurgen. The Theory of Communicative Action. Vol. 2. (Boston, USA: Beacon Press), 1987.
- Hochwalder J, Forsell Y. Is sense of coherence lowered by negative life events? J Happiness Studies. 2011;12:475-492. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10902-010-9211-0
- Jaspers, K. Il medico nell'eta della tecnica. Raffaello C ed. 26th ed. (Milan, Italy: Cortina Editore), 1991.
- Jones RK. Schism and heresy in the development of orthodox medicine: The threat to medical hegemony. Soc Sci Med. 2004;58:703-712. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(03)00222-3
- Kaur R, Sinha AK. What is health: a review. Int J Res Sociology Soc Anthropology. 2013;1:1-17.
- Lewith GT, Jonas WB, Walach H. Clinical research in complementary therapies. Lewith G, Jonas WB ed. 2nd ed. (Edinburgh, London: Thurstone Livingston), 2011.
- Lindstrom B, Eriksson M. Salutogenesis. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2005;59:440-442. https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.2005.034777
- Morandi A, Tosto C, Roberti di Sarsina P, Dalla Libera D. Salutogenesis and Ayurveda: indications for public health management. EPMA J. 2011;2:459-465. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13167-011-0132-8
- Morandi A, Tosto C, Sartori G, Roberti di Sarsina P. Advent of a link between Ayurveda and modern health science: the proceedings of the first international congress on Ayurveda, "Ayurveda: the meaning of life - awareness, environment, and health" March 21-22, 2009, Milan, Italy. 2010;2011:1-7.
- Roberti di Sarsina P, Iseppato I. Person-centred medicine: towards a definition. Forsch Komplementärmed. 2010;17:277-278. https://doi.org/10.1159/000320603
- Roberti di Sarsina P, Guadagni P, Alivia M. Person centred medicine-beyond integrative medicine? Available at:http://www.echamp.eu/news/newsletterarchive/2012/march/person-cented-medicine-beyond-integrative-medicine.html (accessed on 16th september 2014).
- Roberti di Sarsina P, Alivia M, Guadagni P. Traditional, complementary and alternative medical systems and their contribution to personalisation prediction and prevention in medicine - person centred medicine. EPMA J. 2012;3:15. https://doi.org/10.1186/1878-5085-3-15
- Roberti di Sarsina P, Alivia M, Guadagni P. The contribution of traditional, complementary and alternative medical systems to the development of person centred medicine-the example of the charity association for person centred medicine. OA Alternative Medicine. 2013;1:13.
- Roberti di Sarsina P. The Charity Association for Person Centred Medicine. Available at: http://integralleadershipreview.com/7980-the-charity-association-for-person-centred-medicine (accessed on 16th september 2014).
- Roberti di Sarsina P, Alivia M, Guadagni P. Widening the paradigm in medicine and health: The memorandum of understanding between the European association for predictive, preventive and personalised medicine EPMA and the Italian charity "Association for person centred medicine". J Alternative Integrative Med. 2013;1:1:e107.
- Roberti di Sarsina P, Alivia M, Guadagni P. Widening the Paradigm in Medicine and Health: Person Centred Medicine as Common Ground of Traditional and Non Conventional Medicine. In: Healthcare Overview: New Perspectives. Costigliola V ed. 1st ed. (Heidelberg, Germany: sprineger), pp. 335-353, 2012.
- Roberti di Sarsina P. The Social Demand for a Medicine Focused on the Person: The contribution of CAM to healthcare and healthgenesis. Evi Based Complement Alternat Med. 2007;4:45-51. https://doi.org/10.1093/ecam/nem094
- Verma AA, Razak F, Detsky AS. Understanding choice: why physicians should learn prospect theory. JAMA. 2014;311:571-572. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2013.285245