- Volume 15 Issue 20
DOI QR Code
Health Promoting Lifestyle Behaviour in Medical Students: a Multicentre Study from Turkey
- Nacar, Melis ;
- Baykan, Zeynep ;
- Cetinkaya, Fevziye ;
- Arslantas, Didem ;
- Ozer, Ali ;
- Coskun, Ozlem ;
- Bati, Hilal ;
- Karaoglu, Nazan ;
- Elmali, Ferhan ;
- Yilmaze, Gulay
- Published : 2014.11.06
Background: The aim of this study was to determine the predictors of health promoting lifestyle behaviour among medical students attending seven of the medical schools in Turkey. Materials and Methods: This crosssectional descriptive study was performed during the second semester of the first and last (sixth) years of study from March to May 2011. A questionnaire with two sections was specifically designed. The first section contained questions on demographic characteristics; the second consisted of the Health Promoting Lifestyle Profile II (HPLP) Scale. From a total of 2,309 medical students, 2,118 (response rate 91.7%) completed the questionnaire. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, t, Anova, Tukey test and binary logistic regression analysis. The research was approved by the Ethics Committee of Erciyes University. Results: The mean age was
Health promotion;behaviour;medical students;medical education;healthy life;Turkey
- Al-Kandari F, Vidal VL, Thomas D (2008). Healthpromoting lifestyle and body mass index among college of nursing students in Kuwait: A correlational study. Nurs Health Sci, 10, 43-50. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2018.2007.00370.x
- Al-Naggar RA, Bobryshev YV, Mohd Noor NA (2013). Lifestyle practice among Malaysian university students. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1895-903. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1895
- Ay S, Yanikkerem E, Calim SI, Yazici M (2012). Healthpromoting lifestyle behaviour for cancer prevention: a survey of Turkish university students. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2269-77. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.2269
- Bahar Z, Beser A, Gordes N, et al. (2008). Validity and reliability study of the health-promoting lifestyle profile II. J Cumhuriyet Univers Nurs School, 12, 1-13.
- Bidlack WR (1996). Interrelationships of food, nutrition, diet and health: the national association of state universities and land grant colleges white paper. J Am Coll Nutr, 15, 422-33. https://doi.org/10.1080/07315724.1996.10718620
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). About body mass index for Adults http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/index.html. [29.05.2014].
- Bryant H, Shin HR, Forman D, et al (2012). Managing population health to prevent and detect cancer and non-communicable diseases. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 13-22.
- Can G, Ozdilli K, Erol O, et al (2008). Comparison of the health promoting lifestyles of nursing and non-nursing students in Istanbul, Turkey. Nurs Health Sci, 10, 273-80. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2018.2008.00405.x
- Cannon G, Gupta P, Gomes F, et al (2012). Prevention of cancer and non-communicable diseases. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3-11.
- Ertop NG, Yilmaz A, Erdem Y. (2012). Universite ogrencilerinin saglikli yasam bicimleri. KU Tip Fakultesi Dergisi, 14, 1-7.
- Hacihasanoglu R, Yildirim A, Karakurt P, Saglam R (2011). Healthy lifestyle behaviour in university students and influential factors in eastern Turkey. Intern J Nurs Pract, 17, 43-51. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-172X.2010.01905.x
- Komduur RH, Korthals M, Molder H (2009). The good life: living for health and a life without risks? On a prominent script of nutrigenomics. Br J Nutr, 101, 307-16. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114508076253
- Kreutz G, Ginsborg J, Williamon A (2009). Health-promoting behaviours in conservatoire students. Psychology Music, 37, 47-61.
- Leigh JP (1998). Parents' schooling and the correlation between education and frailty. Inst Local Government Studies, 17, 349-58.
- Nogay NH, Akinci AC, Sert H, Kurtulus Z, Gedik S (2012). Dietary habits contributing to the cancer prevention among health college students in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 963-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.3.963
- Ozbasaran F, Cakmakci A, Gungor N (2004). Health Behaviors of Students in School of Health in Celal Bayar University. Ataturk Univers Hemsirelik Yuksekokulu Dergisi, 7, 43-55 (in Turkish).
- Promthet S, Wiangnon S, Senarak W, et al (2012). Evaluation of health education in the multi-professional intervention and training for ongoing volunteer-based community health programme in the north-east of Thailand. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1753-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.1753
- Ozveren H, Cerit B, Ertop NG. (2013). Differences in health promoting lifestyle behavior of health management students based upon early diagnosis coverage in a cancer course. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5769-73. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.5769
- Peltzer K (2002). Health-promoting and personality among black South African students. Social Behavior Personality, 30, 417-22. https://doi.org/10.2224/sbp.2002.30.4.417
- Palank CL (1991). Determinants of health-promotive behavior. A review of current research. Nurs Clin North Am, 26, 815-32.
- Simon RW (2002). Revisiting the relationship among gender, marital status, and mental health. Am J Soc, 107, 1065-96. https://doi.org/10.1086/339225
- Sonmezer H, Cetinkaya F, Nacar M (2012). Healthy life-style promoting behaviour in Turkish women aged 18-64. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1241-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1241
- Suraj S, Singh A (2011). Study of sense of coherence health promoting behavior in north Indian students. Indian J Med Res, 134, 645-52. https://doi.org/10.4103/0971-5916.90989
- Simsek H, Oztoprak D, Ikizoglu E, et al (2012). Healthy lifestyle behaviours and related factors of medical school students. DEU Tip Fakultesi Dergisi, 26,151-7 (in Turkish).
- Tambag H (2011). Hatay Health School students' healthy lifestyle behaviors and influencing factors. Hacettepe Univers Fac Health Sci Nurs J, 25, 47-58.
- Ulla Diez SM, Perez-Fortis A (2009). Socio-demographic predictors of health behaviors in mexican college students. Health Promot Int, 25, 85-93.
- Walker SN, Sechrist KR, Pender NJ (1987). The healthpromoting lifestyle profile: development and psychometric characteristics. Nurs Res, 36, 76-81.
- Unalan D, Senol V, Ozturk A et al (2007). A research on the relation between the healthy life style behaviors and selfcare levels of the students in health and social programs of vocational collages. J Turgut Ozal Med Center, 14, 101-9.
- Waite LJ, Lehrer EL (2003). The benefits from marriage and religion in the United States: a comparative analysis. Popul Dev Rev, 29, 255-76. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1728-4457.2003.00255.x
- Walker SN. Hill-Polerecky, DM (1997). Psychometric evaluation of health promoting lifestyle profile II. unpublished manuscript, university of nebraska medical center, College of Nursing, Lincoln.
- Van Oort FVA, Van Lenthe FJ, Mackenbach JP (2004). Cooccurrence of lifestyle risk factors and the explanation of education inequalities in mortality: Results from the GLOBE study. Prev Med, 39, 1126-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2004.04.025
- Walker SN,Volkan K, Sechrist KR, Pender NJ (1988). Healthpromoting life styles of older adulths: comparison with young and middle-aged adults, correlates and patterns. Adv Nurs Sci, 11, 76-90. https://doi.org/10.1097/00012272-198810000-00008
- Wei CN, Harada K, Ueda K, et al (2012). Assessment of healthpromoting lifestyle profile in Japanese university students. Environ Health Prev Med, 17, 222-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12199-011-0244-8
- WHO. Health 21-health for all in the 21st century. http://www.euro.who.int/_data/assets/pdf_file/0003/88590/EHFA5-E.pdf [29.05.2014].
- Yilmazel G, Cetinkaya F, Nacar M (2013). Health promoting behaviors in nursing students. TAF Prev Med Bull, 12, 261-70.
- Health Related Lifestyle Behaviors among Students at a Vocational Education Center in Turkey vol.07, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4236/health.2015.711167
- Hazardous Health Behaviour among Medical Students: a Study from Turkey vol.16, pp.17, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.7675
- Assessment of Perception of Medical Students in Regard to Links between Tobacco or Alcohol Use and Cancer vol.16, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2697
- Do medical students have a positive outlook on the world? vol.126, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1515/pjph-2016-0026
- Awareness and knowledge of cardiovascular disease risk factors among medical students vol.129, pp.13-14, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00508-017-1192-0
- Do socio-cultural factors influence college students’ self-rated health status and health-promoting lifestyles? A cross-sectional multicenter study in Dalian, China vol.17, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-017-4411-8
- Research trends in studies of medical students’ characteristics: a scoping review vol.29, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3946/kjme.2017.60
- Health promoting lifestyle of university students in Saudi Arabia: a cross-sectional assessment vol.18, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-018-5999-z
- Psychometric Characteristics of the Turkish Version of Adolescent Lifestyle Profile R2 vol.26, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1891/1061-3722.214.171.124
- Health Promotion Behaviors and Its Predictors Among the College Students in Iran vol.38, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/0272684X18781780