- Volume 15 Issue 20
DOI QR Code
Breast Cancer Awareness among Turkish Nursing Students
- Celik, Sevim (Department of Nursing, Zonguldak School of Health, Bulent Ecevit University) ;
- Tasdemir, Nurten (Department of Nursing, Zonguldak School of Health, Bulent Ecevit University) ;
- Sancak, Hulya (Department of Oncology, Anadolu Medical Center) ;
- Demirel, Merve (Department of Nursing, Zonguldak School of Health, Bulent Ecevit University) ;
- Akman, Ozlem (Department of Intensive Care, American Hospital) ;
- Kara, Merve (Department of Nursing, American Hospital)
- Published : 2014.11.06
Background: This study conducted to determine breast cancer awareness and influencing factors among nursing students in the West Black Sea Region in Turkey. Materials and Methods: This cross-sectional descriptive study was conducted between April-May, 2014. The sample was 270 female nursing students. Data were collected by Personal Information Form and Champion's Health Belief Model Scale (CHBMS). Results: The students' mean age was
Breast cancer;awareness;female;nursing student;Turkey
- Alsaif AA ( 2004). Breast self-examination among Saudi female nursing students in Saudi Arabia. Saudi Med J, 25, 1574-8.
- Akhtari-Zavare M, Juni MH, Said SM, Ismail IZ (2013). Beliefs and behavior of Malaysia undergraduate female students in a public university toward breast self-examination practice. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 57-61. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.57
- Alam AA (2006). Knowledge of breast cancer and its risk and protective factors among women in Riyadh. Ann Saudi Med, 26, 272-7
- Al-Naggar RA, Al-Naggar DH, Bobryshev YV, Chen R, Assabri A (2011). Practice and barriers toward breast selfexamination among young Malaysian women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1173-8.
- Alpteker H, Gumus D, Dogan S, Bilir S, Onal M (2011). To determine the knowledge and practice of female students about breast cancer and breast self examination. J Breast Health, 7, 176-81.
- Al-Sharbatti SS, Shaikh RB, Mathew E, Al-Biate MAS (2013). Breast self examination practice and breast cancer risk perception among female university students in Ajman. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4919-23. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4919
- Andsoy II, Gul A (2014). Breast, cervix and colorectal cancer knowledge among nurses in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2267-72. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2267
- Beydag KD, Yurugen B (2010). The effect of breast selfexamination (BSE) education given to midwifery students on their knowledge and attitudes. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1761-4.
- Bien AM, Korzynska-Pietas M, Iwanowicz-Palus GJ (2014). Assessment of midwifery student preparation for performing the role of breast cancer educator. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 5633-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5633
- Boulos DN, Ghali RR (2013). Awareness of breast cancer among female students at Ain Shams University, Egypt. Glob J Health Sci, 6, 154-61.
- Che CC, Coomarasamy J, Suppayah DB (2014). Perception of breast health among Malaysian female adolescents. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 7175-80. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7175
- Cadir G, Eksen M, Butuner E, et al (2004). Determining knowledge level and application self breast check (SBC) and breast cancer of women in Mugla county, Bayir, Yerkesik and Yesilyurt Health Center Areas. Uluslararasi Insan Bilimleri Dergisi, 1, 1303-5134 (in Turkish).
- Cam O, Gumus A (2006). Psychosocial factors influencing early detection behaviors in breast and servical cancer. Ege Universitesi HYO Dergisi, 22, 81-93 (in Turkish).
- Dundar PE, Ozmen D, Ozturk B, et al (2006). The knowledge and attitudes of breast self examination and mammography in a group of women in a rural area in western Turkey. BMC Cancer, 1-9.
- Donmez YC, Dolgun E, Yavuz M (2012). Breast selfexamination practices and the effect of a planned training program in Western Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 6159-61. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.12.6159
- Yucel SC, Orgun F, Tokem Y, Avdal EU, Demir M (2014). Determining the factors that affect breast cancer and self breast examination beliefs of Turkish nurses in academia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1275-80. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1275
- Demirhan H, Ozen I, Bostanci M, Zincir M (2002). The research related to the BSE of female students in the Credit and Dormitories Institutions in Pamukkale University. Saglik ve Toplum, 12, 81-4 (in Turkish).
- Durvasula RS, Regan PC, Ureno O, Howell L (2006). Frequency of cervical and breast cancer screening rates in a multi-ethnic female college sample. Psychological Reports, 99, 418-20.
- Erbil N, Bolukbas N (2014). Health beliefs and breast selfexamination among female university nursing students in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 6525-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6525
- Findik UY, Turan N (2004). Determining of behaviors of women toward early detection of breast cancer. Hemsirelik Forumu, 8, 54-9 (in Turkish).
- Gocgeldi E, Acikel CH, Hadse M, et al (2008). Investigation of attitudes and behaviors of a group of women who reside at in Ankara Golbasi on breast self examination. Firat Tip Dergisi, 113, 261-5 (in Turkish).
- Golbasi Z, Kutlar Z, Akdeniz H (2007). The effect of education given by nursing students on womens' knowledge and practice breast cancer/breast self examination in a public training center. Meme Sagligi Dergisi, 3, 53-7 (in Turkish).
- Karayurt O, Dramali A (2007). Adaptation of champion's health belief model scale for Turkish women and evaluation of the selected variables associated with breast self examination. Cancer Nurs, 30, 69-77. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-200701000-00013
- Gozum S, Aydin I (2004). Validation evidence for Turkish adaptation of Champion's health belief model scales. Cancer Nurs, 27, 491-8.
- Kara B, Acikel CH (2008). Health beliefs and breast selfexamination in a sample of Turkish nursing students and their mothers. J Clin Nurs, 18, 1412-21.
- Karadag M, Iseri O, Etikan I (2014). Determining nursing student knowledge, behavior and beliefs for breast cancer and breast self-examination receiving courses with two different approaches. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 3885-90. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.9.3885
- Karadag G, Gungormus Z, Surucu R, Savas E, Bicer F (2014). Awareness and practices regarding breast and cervical cancer among Turkish women in Gazientep. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1093-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1093
- Khazaee-Pool M, Majlessi F, Foroushani AR, et al (2014). Perception of breast cancer screening among Iranian women without experience of mammography: a qualitative study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 3965-71. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.9.3965
- McCready T, Littlewood D, Jenkinson J (2005). Breast selfexamination and breast awareness: a literature review. J Clin Nurs, 14, 570-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2004.01108.x
- Memis S, Balkaya NA, Demirkiran F (2009). Knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors of nursing and midwifery students regarding breast self-examination in Turkey. Oncology Nursing Forum, 36, 39-46. https://doi.org/10.1188/09.ONF.E39-E46
- Nahcivan ON, Secginli S (2003). Meme kanserinde erken taniya yonelik tutum ve davranislar: rehber olarak saglik inanc modelinin kullanimi. C.U.Hemsirelik Yuksek Okulu Dergisi, 7, 33-8 (in Turkish).
- Rizalar S, Ozbas A, Akyolcu N, Gungor B (2014). Effect of perceived social support on psychosocial adjustment of Turkish patients with breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 3429-34. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3429
- Ozgun H, Soyder A, Tuncyurek P (2009). Factors effecting delayed presentation in breast cancer. Meme Sagligi Dergisi, 5, 87-91 (in Turkish).
- Ozkan A, Malak AT, Gurkan A, Turgay AS (2010). Do Turkish nursing and midwifery students teach breast self-examination to their relatives? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 111-5.
- Powe BD, Underwood S, Canales M, Finnie R (2005). Perceptions about breast cancer among college students: Implications for nursing education. J Nurs Education, 44, 257-65.
- Sambanje MN, Mafuvadze B (2012). Breast cancer knowledge and awareness among university students in Angola. Pan Afr Med J, 11, 70-80
- Secginli S, Nahcivan N (2004). Reliability and validity of the breast cancer screening belief scale among Turkish women. Cancer Nurs, 27, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-200401000-00001
- Secginli S, Nahcivan NO (2006). Factors associated with breast cancer screening behaviours in a sample of Turkish women:a questionnaire survey. Int J Nurs Stud, 43, 519-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2005.12.001
- TC. Saglik Bakanligi (2004). The most common ten type of cancer in women, Department of Fight against Cancer, Turkey Cancer Statistics, 2004. http://www.saglikgov.tr (in Turkish).
- Thomas B, Stamler LL, Lafreniere KD, Delahunt TD (2002). Breast health educational interventions. Changes in beliefs and practices of working women. AAOHN J, 50, 460-7.
- Uzun O, Karabulut N, Karaman Z (2004). Knowledge and practices of nursing students about breast self-examination. Ataturk Universitesi Hemsirelik Yuksekokulu Dergisi, 7, 33-41 (in Turkish).
- Yarbrugh SS, Braden CJ (2001). Utility of health belief model as a guide for explaining or predicting breast cancer screening behaviours. J Advanced Nursing, 33, 677-88. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2001.01699.x
- Correlation Study of Knowledge and Behavior Regarding Breast Care among Female Undergraduate Students in China vol.15, pp.24, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.24.10943
- Effects of Breast Cancer Fatalism on Breast Cancer Awareness among Nursing Students in Turkey vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3565
- Rural Women's Awareness about Breast Cancer in Southeastern Iran: a Cross-Sectional Study vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.1875