- Volume 15 Issue 20
DOI QR Code
Prostate Biopsy in the Elderly: Histologic Findings and Treatment Necessity
- Akman, Ramazan Yavuz (Department of Urology, Baskent University, School of Medicine, Istanbul Hospital) ;
- Koseoglu, Hikmet (Department of Urology, Baskent University, School of Medicine, Istanbul Hospital) ;
- Oguzulgen, Ahmet Ibrahim (Department of Urology, Baskent University, School of Medicine, Istanbul Hospital) ;
- Sen, Erhan (Department of Urology, Baskent University, School of Medicine, Istanbul Hospital) ;
- Yaycioglu, Ozgur (Department of Urology, Baskent University, School of Medicine, Adana Hospital)
- Published : 2014.11.06
The aim of this study is to determine results of high prostate specific antigen (PSA) or abnormal digital rectal examination driven prostate biopsies performed in our Department in men aged 75 or more and to show the characteristics of pathology results. The hospital records of the patients who had high PSA or abnormal digital rectal examination driven prostate biopsy in two common university based research hospitals have been reviewed retrospectively. Patients aged 75 years or older at the date of biopsy whose records provided pathology results and full medical history were evaluated for the study. A total of 103 patients were evaluated with a mean age of
- Arshad H, Ahmad Z (2013). Overview of benign and malignant prostatic disease in Pakistani patients: A clinical and histopathological perspective. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3005-10. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.3005
- Carter HB, Albertsen PC, Barry MJ, et al (2013). Early detection of prostate cancer: AUA Guideline. J Urol, 190, 419-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2013.04.119
- Hanson G, Wright J, Kim J, et al (2007). Is age an independent predictor of clincially significant prostate cancer in a referral population? A case for needle biopsy in the elderly ASCO Meeting, 5142.
- Lipinski MO, Siemens DR, Groome PA (2013). Variations in prostate biopsy practice: A quantitative questionnaire-based study. Can Urol Assoc J, 7, 732-9.
- Heidenreich A, Bastian PJ, Bellmunt J, et al (2014). EAU Guidelines on Prostate Cancer. Part 1: Screening, Diagnosis, and Local Treatment with Curative Intent-Update 2013. Eur Urol, 65, 124-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2013.09.046
- Ilic D, Neuberger MM, Djulbegovic M, et al (2013). Screening for prostate cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 1, 4720.
- Ko J, Falzarano SM, Walker E, et al (2013). Prostate cancer patients older than 70 years treated by radical prostatectomy have higher biochemical recurrence rate than their matched younger counterpart. Prostate, 73, 897-903. https://doi.org/10.1002/pros.22635
- Ma X, Wang R, Long JB, et al (2013). The cost implications of prostate cancer screening in the Medicare population. Cancer, 120, 96-102.
- Mistry S, Mayer W, Khavari R, et al (2009). Who's too old to screen? Prostate cancer in elderly men. Can Urol Assoc J, 3, 205-10.
- Moyer VA (2012). Screening for prostate cancer: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Ann Intern Med, 157, 120-34. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-157-2-201207170-00459
- Pierorazio PM, Humphreys E, Walsh PC, et al (2010). Radical prostatectomy in older men: survival outcomes in septuagenarians and octogenarians. BJU Int, 106, 791-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-410X.2010.09239.x
- Samaratunga H, Delahunt B, Yaxley J, et al (2013). Clinical significance of cancer in radical prostatectomy specimens: analysis from a contemporary series of 2900 men. Pathology, 46, 11-4.
- Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A (2013). Cancer statistics, 2013. CA Cancer J Clin, 63, 11-30. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21166
- Situmorang GR, Umbas R, Mochtar CA, et al (2013). Prostate cancer in younger and older patients: do we treat them differently? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4577-80. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4577
- Verim L, Yildirim A, Basok EK, et al (2013). Impact of PSA and DRE on histologic findings at prostate biopsy in Turkish Men over 75 Years of Age. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6085-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.6085
- Frequency of Unnecessarily Biopsies among Patients with Suspicion of Prostate Cancer in Syrian Men vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.5967