- Volume 15 Issue 20
DOI QR Code
Real-Time PCR Detection of 16S rRNA Novel Mutations Associated with Helicobacter pylori Tetracycline Resistance in Iran
- Dadashzadeh, Kianoosh (Department of Laboratory Sciences, Marand Branch, Islamic Azad University) ;
- Milani, Morteza (Liver and Gastroenterology Diseases Research Cente, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Rahmati, Mohammad (Drug Applied Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Akbarzadeh, Abolfazl (Biotechnology Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2014.11.06
Background: Tetracycline is an antibiotic widely used for the treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection, but its effectiveness is decreasing due to increasing bacterial resistance. The aim of this study was to investigate the occurrence of 16S rRNA mutations associated with resistance or reduced susceptibility to tetracycline ofHelicobacter pylori by real-time PCR (RT-PCR) assays from culture. Materials and Methods: Tetracycline susceptibility and minimal inhibition concentration (MIC) was determined by the Epsilometer test (Etest) method. A LightCycler assay developed to detect these mutations was applied to DNA extracted from culture. The 16S rRNA of these isolates was sequenced and resistance-associated mutations were identified. From 104 isolates of H. pylori examined, 11 showed resistance to tetracycline. Results: LightCycler assay was applied to DNA extracted from 11 tetracycline-susceptible and 11 tetracycline resistance H. pylori isolates. In our study the sequencing of the H. pylori wild types in 16 s rRNA gene were AGA 926-928 with MIC (0.016 to
- Gisbert JP, Pajares JM (2001). Helicobacter pylori therapy: first-line options and rescue regimen. Digestive Diseases, 19, 134-43. https://doi.org/10.1159/000050668
- Abrams DN, Koslowsky I, Matte G (2000). Pharmaceutical interference with the [1v4C] carbon urea breath test for the detection of Helicobacter pylori infection. J Pharm Pharm Sci, 3, 228-33.
- Anoushiravani M, Falsafi, T, Niknam V (2009. Proton motive force-dependent efflux of tetracycline in clinical isolates of Helicobacter pylori. J Med Microbiol, 58, 1309-3. https://doi.org/10.1099/jmm.0.010876-0
- Dailidiene D, Bertoli MT, Miciuleviciene J (2002). Emergence of tetracycline resistance in Helicobacter pylori: multiple mutational changes in 16S ribosomal DNA and other genetic loci. Antimicrob Agents Chemother, 46, 3940-6. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.46.12.3940-3946.2002
- De Francesco V, Giorgio F, Hassan C, et al (2010). Worldwide H. pylori antibiotic resistance: a systematic review. J Gastrointestin Liver Dis, 19, 409-14.
- Gerrits MM, De Zoete MR, Arents NL, Kuipers EJ, Kusters, JG (2002). 16S rRNA mutation-mediated tetracycline resistance in Helicobacter pylori. Antimicrobial Agents Chemotherapy, 46, 2996-3000. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.46.9.2996-3000.2002
- Glocker E, Berning M, Gerrits MM, Kusters JG, Kist M (2005). Real-time PCR screening for 16S rRNA mutations associated with resistance to tetracycline in Helicobacter pylori. Antimicrobial Agents Chemotherapy, 49, 3166-70. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.49.8.3166-3170.2005
- Heep M, Kist M, Strobel S, Beck D, Lehn N (2000). Secondary resistance among 554 isolates of Helicobacter pylori after failure of therapy. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis, 19, 538-41. https://doi.org/10.1007/s100960000288
- Lawson A J, Elviss NC, Owen RJ (2005). Real-time PCR detection and frequency of 16S rDNA mutations associated with resistance and reduced susceptibility to tetracycline in Helicobacter pylori from England and Wales. Antimicrobial Agents Chemotherapy, 56, 282-6. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dki199
- Malekimsc P, Siavoshiphd F (2013). Helicobacter pylori vacA d1/-i1 Genotypes and Geographic Differ-entiation between High and Low Incidence Areas of Gastric Can-cer in Iran. Arch Iran med 16, 330.
- Malfertheiner P, Megraud F, O'morain C, et al (2007). Current concepts in the management of Helicobacter pylori infection: the Maastricht III Consensus Report. Gut, 56, 772. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.2006.101634
- Talebi Bezmin Abadi A, Mobarez AM, Taghvaei T, Wolfram L (2010). Antibiotic resistance of Helicobacter pylori in Mazandaran, North of Iran. Helicobacter, 15, 505-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1523-5378.2010.00795.x
- Mansour-Ghanaei F, Joukar F, Soati F, Mansour-Ghanaei A, Atrkar-Roushan Z (2013). Outcome of intestinal metaplasia in gastric biopsy of patients with dyspepsia in Guilan Province, North Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3549-54. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3549
- Mcnulty C, Owen R, Tompkins D, et al (2002). Helicobacter pylori susceptibility testing by disc diffusion. J Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, 49, 601. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/49.4.601
- Milani M, Ghotaslou R, Akhi MT, et al (2012). The status of antimicrobial resistance of Helicobacter pylori in Eastern Azerbaijan, Iran: comparative study according to demographics. J Infect Chemother, 18, 848-52. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10156-012-0425-4
- Wang Y, Zhang FC, Wang YJ (2014). Helicobacter pylori and pancreatic cancer risk: a meta-analysis based on 2,049 cases and 2,861 controls. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4449-54. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.11.4449
- Wu H, Shi X, Wang H, Liu J (2000). Resistance of Helicobacter pylori to metronidazole, tetracycline and amoxycillin. J Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, 46, 121-3. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/46.1.121
- Zullo A, Hassan C, Ridola L, De Francesco V, Vaira D (2012). Standard triple and sequential therapies for Helicobacter pylori eradication: An update. Eur J Int Med, 24, 16-9.
- Magnetic nanoparticles: Applications in gene delivery and gene therapy pp.2169-141X, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3109/21691401.2015.1014093
- Comparison, synthesis and evaluation of anticancer drug-loaded polymeric nanoparticles on breast cancer cell lines pp.2169-141X, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3109/21691401.2015.1008510
- and Antibiotic Resistance, A Continuing and Intractable Problem vol.21, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/hel.12299
- and its dual target precise therapy vol.44, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/1040841X.2017.1418285
- Using Invasive and Noninvasive Approaches vol.2018, pp.2090-3065, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/9064952
- The magnitude of antibiotic resistance to Helicobacter pylori in Africa and identified mutations which confer resistance to antibiotics: systematic review and meta-analysis vol.18, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12879-018-3099-4