- Volume 15 Issue 20
DOI QR Code
Targeting of COX-2 Expression by Recombinant Adenovirus shRNA Attenuates the Malignant Biological Behavior of Breast Cancer Cells
- Tu, Bo ;
- Ma, Ting-Ting ;
- Peng, Xiao-Qiong ;
- Wang, Qin ;
- Yang, Hong ;
- Huang, Xiao-Ling
- Published : 2014.11.06
Background: Cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), considered to have tumor-promoting potential, is highly expressed in a variety of tumors, including breast cancer. Since the functions and action mechanisms of COX-2 in breast cancer have not been fully elucidated, in the present study, the effects of target inhibiting COX-2 with recombinant adenovirus Ad-COX-2-shRNA on malignant biological behavior were investigated in representative cell lines. Materials and Methods: Breast cancer MDA-MB-231 and MCF-7 cells were transfected with Ad-COX-2-shRNA and COX-2 expression was tested by RT-PCR and Western blotting. Changes in proliferation, apoptosis and invasion of breast cancer cells were detected with various assays including MTT, colony forming, flowcytometry and Transwell invasion tests. The expression of related proteins involved in the cell cycle, apoptosis, invasion and signaling pathways was assessed by Western blotting. Results: COX-2 expression was significantly reduced in both breast cancer cell lines infected with Ad-COX-2-shRNA, with obvious inhibition of proliferation, colony forming rate, G2/M phase passage and invasion, as well as induction of apoptosis, in MDA-MB-231 and MCF-7 cells, respectively. At the same time, proteins related to the cell cycle, anti-apoptosis and invasion were significantly downregulated. In addition, c-myc expression and phosphorylation activation of Wnt/
COX2-shRNA;proliferation;apoptosis;invasion;breast cancer cells;signaling pathways
- Chen S, Qiong Y, Gardner DG, et al (2006). A role for p38 mitogenactivated protein kinase and c-myc in endothelindependent rat aortic smooth muscle cell proliferation. Hypertension, 47, 252-8. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.HYP.0000198424.93598.6b
- Asara Y, Marchal JA, Carrasco E, et al (2013). Cadmium modifies the cell cycle and apoptotic profiles of human breast cancer cells treated with 5-fluorouracil. Int J Mol Sci, 14, 16600-16. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms140816600
- Bermudez Y, Yang H, Cheng JQ, et al (2008). Pyk2/ERK 1/2 mediate Sp1- and c-myc-dependent induction of telomerase activity by epidermal growth factor. Growth Factors, 26, 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1080/08977190802001389
- Bresalier RS, Sandler RS, Quan H, et al (2005). Cardiovascular events associated with rofecoxib in a colorectal adenoma chemoprevention trial. N Engl J Med, 352, 1092-102. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa050493
Cervello M, Giannitrapani L, La Rosa M, et al (2004). Induction of apoptosis by the proteasome inhibitor MG132 in human HCC cells: Possible correlation with specific caspasedependent cleavage of
$\beta$-catenin and inhibition ofb $\beta$-cateninmediated transactivation. Int J Mol Med, 13, 741-8.
- Charames G S, Bapat B (2006) Cyclooxygenase-2 knockdown by RNA interference in colon cancer. Int J Oncol, 28, 543-9.
- Cronin-Fenton DP, Pedersen L, Lash TL, et al (2010). Prescriptions for selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors, non-selective non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and risk of breast cancer in a population-based case-control study. Breast Cancer Res, 12, 15.
- Cusimano A, Fodera D, D'Alessandro N, et al (2007). Potentiation of the antitumor effects of both selective cyclooxygenase-1 and cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors in human hepatic cancer cells by inhibition of the MEK/ERK pathway. Cancer Biol Therapy, 6, 1461-8.
- Daksis JI, Lu RY, Facchini LM, et al (1994). Myc induces cyclin D1 expression in the absence of denovo protein synthesis and links mitogen-stimulated signal transduction to the cell cycle. Oncogene, 9, 3635-45.
- Dong JY, Wang Q, Liang QD, et al (2013). Construction and identification of recombinant adenovirus with COX-2- shRNA. Chin J Biologicals, 26, 1072-7.
- Fodera D, D'Alessandro N, Cusimano A, et al (2004). Induction of apoptosis and inhibition of cell growth in human hepatocellular carcinoma cells by COX-2 inhibitors. Ann N Y Acad Sci, 1028, 440-9. https://doi.org/10.1196/annals.1322.052
- George C (1999). Mechanisms of apoptosis by c-myc. Oncogene, 18, 2967-87. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1202727
- He TC, Zhou S, Luis T, et al (1998). A simplified system for generating recombinant adenoviruses. Medical Sciences Proc. Natl Acad Sci. 95, 2509-14 https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.95.5.2509
- Half E, Tang XM, Gwyn K, et al (2002). Cyclooxygenase-2 expression in human breast cancers and adjacent ductal carcinoma in situ. Cancer Res, 62, 1676-81.
- Han G, Gang W, Yan B, et al (2012). C-myc overexpression promotes osteosarcoma cell invasion via activation of MEKERK pathway. Oncol Res, 20, 149-56. https://doi.org/10.3727/096504012X13522227232237
- Harris RE, Beebe-Donk J, Doss H, et al (2005). Aspirin, ibuprofen, and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in cancer prevention: a critical review of non-selective COX-2 blockade. Oncol Rep, 13, 559-83.
- Hochegger H, Takeda S, Hunt T, et al (2008). Cyclin-dependent kinases and cell cycle transitions: does one fit all? Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol, 9, 910-6.
- Hoffman B and Liebermann DA (2008). Apoptotic signaling by c-MYC. Oncogene, 27, 6462-72. https://doi.org/10.1038/onc.2008.312
- Janghorban M, Farrell AS, Allen-Petersen BL, et al (2014). Targeting c-MYC by antagonizing PP2A inhibitors in breast cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 111, 9157-62. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1317630111
- Jovanovic M, Stefanoska I, Radojcic L, et al (2010). Interleukin-8 (CXCL8) stimulates trophoblast cell migration and invasion by increasing levels of matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) 2 and MMP9 and integrins alpha5 and beta1. Reproduction. 139, 789-98. https://doi.org/10.1530/REP-09-0341
- Holmes MD, Chen WY, Schnitt SJ, et al (2011). COX-2 expression predicts worse breast cancer prognosis and does not modify the association with aspirin. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 130, 657-62. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-011-1651-7
- Ferguson RD, Novosyadlyy R, Fierz Y, et al (2012). Hyperinsulinemia enhances c-Myc-mediated mammary tumor development and advances metastatic progression to the lung in a mouse model of type 2 diabetes. Breast Cancer Res, 14, 8.
- Murata H, Kawano S, Tsuji S, et al (1999). Cyclooxygenase-2 overexpression enhances lymphatic invasion and metastasis in human gastric carcinoma. Amer J Gastroenterol, 94, 451-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.1999.876_e.x
- Komatsu K, Buchanan FG, Katkuri S, et al (2005). Oncogenic potential of MEK1 in rat intestinal epithelial cells is mediated via cyclooxygenase-2. Gastroenterology, 129, 577-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gastro.2005.06.003
- Lin MT, Lee RC, Yang PC, et al (2001). Cyclooxygenase-2 inducing Mcl-1-dependent survival mechanism in human lung adenocarcinoma CL1.0 cells. Involvement of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt pathway. J Biol Chem, 276, 48997-9002. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M107829200
- Llovet JM, Bruix J (2008). Molecular targeted therapies in hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatol, 48, 1312-27. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.22506
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, et al (2005). Global cancer statistics, 2002. CA Cancer J Clin, 55, 74-108 https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.2.74
- Patel VA, Dunn MJ, Sorokin, et al (2002). Regulation of MDR-1 (P-glycoprotein) by cyclooxygenase-2. J Biol Chem, 277, 38915-20. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M206855200
- Schutze N (2004). siRNA technology. Mol Cell Endocrinol, 213, 115-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mce.2003.10.078
- Shalaby MA, Nounou HA, Alanazi MS, et al (2014). Associations between single nucleotide polymorphisms of COX-2 and MMP-2 genes and colorectal cancer susceptibility in the Saudi population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4989-94. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.4989
- Shirahama T, Arima J, Akiba S, et al (2001). Relation between cyclooxygenase-2 expression and tumor invasiveness and patient survival in transitional cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder. Cancer, 92, 188-93. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(20010701)92:1<188::AID-CNCR1308>3.0.CO;2-W
- Siegfried JM, Gubish CT, Rothstein ME, et al (2007). Signaling pathways involved in cyclooxygenase-2 induction by hepatocyte growth factor in non small-cell lung cancer. Mol Pharmacol, 72, 769-79. https://doi.org/10.1124/mol.107.034215
- Song D, Miao Cui M, Zhao G, et al (2014). Pathway-based analysis of breast cancer. Am J Transl Res, 6, 302-11.
- Singh B, Berry JA, Shoher A, et al (2006). COX-2 overexpression increases motility and invasion of breast cancer cells. Int J Oncol, 26, 1393-9.
- Singh B, Cook KR, Vincent L, et al (2011). Role of COX-2 in tumorospheres derived from a breast cancer cell line. J Surg Res, 168, 39-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2010.03.003
- Sobolewski C, Cerella C, Dicato M, et al (2010). The role of cyclooxygenase-2 in cell proliferation and cell death in human malignancies. Int J Cell Biol, 2010, 215158 (21 pages).
- Strillaeeit A, Griffoni C, Spiral E, et al (2006). RNA interference as a key to knockdown overexpressed cyclooxygenase-2 in tumor cells. Br J of Cancer, 94, 1300-10. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6603094
- Su B, Chen S (2009). Lead optimization of COX-2 inhibitor nimesulide analogs to overcome aromatase inhibitor resistance in breast cancer cells. Bioorg Med Chem Lett, 19, 6733-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bmcl.2009.09.109
- Tai WT, Cheng AL, Shiau CW, et al (2011). Signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 is a major kinase-independent target of sorafenib in hepatocellular carcinoma. J Hepatol, 55, 1041-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhep.2011.01.047
- Xia JJ, Pei LB, Zhuang JP, et al (2010). Celecoxib inhibits beta-catenin-dependent survival of the human osteosarcoma MG-63 cell line. J Int Med Res, 38, 1294-304. https://doi.org/10.1177/147323001003800411
- Yamanaka Y, Shiraki K, Inoue T, et al (2006). COX-2 inhibitors sensitize human hepatocellular carcinoma cells to TRAILinduced apoptosis. Int J Mol Med, 18, 41-7.
- Inhibitory effect of trans-ferulic acid on proliferation and migration of human lung cancer cells accompanied with increased endogenous reactive oxygen species and β-catenin instability vol.11, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13020-016-0116-7
- Effects of a Multikinase Inhibitor Motesanib (AMG 706) Alone and Combined with the Selective DuP-697 COX-2 Inhibitor on Colorectal Cancer Cells vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.3.1103
- Meloxicam suppresses hepatocellular carcinoma cell proliferation and migration by targeting COX-2/PGE2-regulated activation of the β-catenin signaling pathway vol.35, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/or.2016.4764