- Volume 15 Issue 20
DOI QR Code
Association between Dietary Behavior and Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma in Yanting
- Zhao, Lin (Department of Medical Records and Statistics, Xuanwu Hospital, Capital Medical University) ;
- Liu, Chun-Ling (Department of Medical Records and Statistics, Xuanwu Hospital, Capital Medical University) ;
- Song, Qing-Kun (Beijing Key Laboratory of Cancer Therapeutic Vaccine, Capital Medical University Cancer Center, Beijing Shi Ji Tan Hospital) ;
- Deng, Ying-Mei (Department of Medical Records and Statistics, Xuanwu Hospital, Capital Medical University) ;
- Qu, Chen-Xu (Department of Epidemiology, Cancer Institute/Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences Beijing) ;
- Li, Jun (Yanting Cancer Hospital)
- Published : 2014.11.06
Background: Yanting is one of high risk areas for esophageal cancer and the screening program was therefore initiated there. This study was aimed to investigate the dietary behaviors on the risk of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC), among the individuals with normal and abnormal esophagus mucosa. Materials and Methods: A frequency matched case-controls study was proposed to estimate the different distribution of dietary behavior between individuals of control, esophagitis and cancer groups. Cancer cases were selected from hospitals. Esophagitis cases and controls were selected from screening population for ESCC. Health workers collected data for 1 year prior to interview, in terms of length of finishing a meal, temperature of eaten food and interval between water boiling and drinking. Chi-square, Kruskal-Wallis tests and unconditional logistic regression model were used to estimate differences and associations between groups. Results: Compared with controls, length of finishing a meal
Esophageal SCC;dietary behavior;risk reduction;Yanting, China
- Castellsague X, Munoz N, De Stefani E, et al (2000). Influence of mate drinking, hot beverages and diet on esophageal cancer risk in South America. Int J Cancer, 88, 658-64. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0215(20001115)88:4<658::AID-IJC22>3.0.CO;2-T
- DeStefani E, Deneo-Pellegrini H, Ronco AL, et al (2003). Food groups and risk of squamous cell carcinoma of the oesophagus: a case-control study in Uruguay. Br J Cancer, 89, 1209-14. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6601239
- Dong ZW, and Peng Y, 2011. Technical Proposal of Cancer Early detection and treatment (2011 edition). Beijing: People Health Publishing House.
- Ferlay J, Shin H, Bray F, et al (2010). GLOBOCAN 2008 v1.2, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide: IARC Cancer Base No. 10 [Internet]. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer. Available from: http://globocan.iarc.fr, accessed on 06/10/2011.
- He J, Zhao P, and Chen W (2011). Chinese Cancer Registry Annual Report 2011. Beijing: Military Medical Science Press.
- Islami F, Pourshams A, Nasrollahzadeh D, et al (2009). Tea drinking habits and oesophageal cancer in a high risk area in northern Iran: population based case-control study. BMJ, 338, 929. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.b929
- Lambert R, and Hainaut P (2007). Esophageal cancer: cases and causes (part I). Endoscopy, 39, 550-5. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2007-966530
- Lin J, Zeng R, Cao W, et al (2011). Hot beverage and food intake and esophageal cancer in southern China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12 2189-92.
- Sewram V, DeStefani E, Brennan, P, et al (2003). Mate consumption and the risk of squamous cell esophageal cancer in uruguay. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 12, 508-13.
- Pandeya N, Williams G.M, Sadhegi S, et al (2008). Associations of duration, intensity, and quantity of smoking with adenocarcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus. Am J Epidemiol, 168, 105-14. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwn091
- Pandeya N, Williams G., Green AC, et al (2009). Alcohol consumption and the risks of adenocarcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus. Gastroenterology, 136,1211-12.
- Rolon PA, Castellsague X, Benz M, et al (1995). Hot and cold mate drinking and esophageal cancer in Paraguay. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 4, 595-605.
- Song QK, Li J, Jiang HD, et al (2012). Esophageal cancer mortality during 2004-2009 in Yanting County, China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5003-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.10.5003
- Song QK, Zhao L, Li J, et al (2013). Adverse effects of preserved vegetables on squamous cell carcinoma of esophagus and precancer lesions in a high risk area. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 659-63. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.659
- Sunyer J, Basagana X. (2001). Particles, and not gases, are associated with the risk of death in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Int J Epidemiology, 30, 1138-40. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/30.5.1138
- Wang G.Q, Abnet CC, Shen Q, et al (2005). Histological precursors of oesophageal squamous cell carcinoma: results from a 13 year prospective follow up study in a high risk population. Gut, 54, 187-92. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.2004.046631
- Wang Z, Tang L, Sun G., et al (2006). Etiological study of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma in an endemic region: a population-based case control study in Huaian, China. BMC Cancer, 6, 287. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-6-287
- Wu M, Zhao JK, Hu XS, et al (2006). Association of smoking, alcohol drinking and dietary factors with esophageal cancer in high- and low-risk areas of Jiangsu Province, China. World J Gastroenterol, 12, 1686-93.
- Yang CX, Wang HY, Wang ZM, et al (2005). Risk factors for esophageal cancer: a case-control study in South-western China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 48-53.
- Zhang S, Chen W, Kong L, et al (2006). An analysis of cancer incidence and mortality from 30 cancer registries in China, 1998-2002. China Cancer, 15, 430-48.
- Mutagenicity Assessment of Drinking Water in Combination with Flavored Black Tea Bags: a Cross Sectional Study in Tehran vol.16, pp.17, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.7479
- Temporal Variations of Dietary Habits in a High-Risk Area for Upper Gastrointestinal Cancers: a Population-Based Study from Northern Iran vol.16, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.6.2537
- Terrein performs antitumor functions on esophageal cancer cells by inhibiting cell proliferation and synergistic interaction with cisplatin vol.13, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2017.5758
- Investigation of Dietary Factors and Esophageal Cancer Knowledge: Comparison of Rural Residents in High- and Low-incidence Areas vol.8, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-23251-3
- Systematic review: the etiology of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma in low-income settings pp.1747-4132, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/17474124.2019.1543024