- Volume 15 Issue 20
Objective: To assess the safety of Brucea javanica and Cantharidin combined with chemotherapy in treating patients with non-small-cell lung carcinoma. Method: A consecutive cohort of patients with NSCLC were divided into four groups: experimental group A treated with Brucea javanica injection combined with chemotherapy; experimental group B with Cantharidin injection combined with chemotherapy; experimental group C treated with Brucea javanica and Cantharidin injection combined with chemotherapy; and the control group receiving only chemotherapy. After more than two courses of treatment, safety, quality of life and side effects were evaluated. Results: The incidences of myelosuppression in groups A, B and C were lower than that in Control group (p<0.05), but without significant differences among A, B and C. Adverse effects on the gastrointestinal tract also were lower than in controls (p<0.05) without variation amnog the combined treatment groups. Conclusions: Brucea javanica or Cantharidin combined with chemotherapy could in both cases improve quality of life in our cohort of NSCLC patients without any increase in toxicity. However, further clinical experiments should be conducted to evaluate the efficacy of Brucea javanica and Cantharidin combined with chemotherapy for patients with NSCLC.
Brucea javanica;Cantharidin;chemotherapy;combination approach;NSCLC
- Huang XE, Tian GY, Cao J, et al (2013). Pemetrexed as a component of first-, second- and third- line chemotherapy in treating patients with metastatic lung adenocarcinoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6663-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6663
- Dai LL (2012). Mylabris sodium vitamin B 6 combined chemotherapy in treatment of NSCLC (the clinical curative effect of Meta analysis). J Pract Oncol, 27, 6.
- Fei ZH, Yao CY, Yang XL, Huang XE, Ma SL (2013). Serum BMP-2 up-regulation as an indicator of poor survival in advanced non-small cell lung cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5293-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.5293
- Gu M, Li SY, Huang XE, et al (2012). A phase II study on continuous infusional paclitaxel and 5-Fu as first-line chemotherapy for patients with advanced esophageal cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5587-91. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5587
- Liu J, Huang XE, Tian GY, et al (2013). Phase II study on safety and efficacy of Yadanzi(R) (Javanica oil emulsion injection) combined with chemotherapy for patients with gastric cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2009-12. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.2009
- Lu YY, Huang XE, Cao J,, et al (2013). Phase II study on Javanica oil emulsion injection (Yadanzi(R)) combined with chemotherapy in treating patients with advanced lung adenocarcinoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4791-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4791
- Nie YL, Liu KX, Mao XY, et al (2012). Effect of injection of brucea javanica oil emulsion plus chemoradiotherapy for lung cancer: a review of clinical evidence. J Evid Based Med, 5, 216-25. https://doi.org/10.1111/jebm.12001
- Xu X, Wang L, Xu HQ, et al (2013). Clinical comparison between paclitaxel liposome (Lipusu(R)) and paclitaxel for treatment of patients with metastatic gastric cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2591-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2591
- Torbeck R, Pan M, DeMoll E, Levitt J (2014). Cantharidin: a comprehensive review of the clinical literature. Dermatol Online J, 20, pii: http://www.escholarship.org/uc/item/45r512w0.
- Wang Q, Wang M, He X (2013). [Meta-analysis on treatment of non-small cell lung cancer with brucea javanica oil emulsion in combination with platinum-contained first-line chemotherapy]. Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi, 37, 2022-9. (Article in Chinese)
- Wei GL, Huang XE, Huo JG, Wang XN, Tang JH (2013). Phase II study on pemetrexed-based chemotherapy in treating patients with metastatic gastric cancer not responding to prior palliative chemotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2703-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.2703
- Yan HA, Shen K, Huang XE (2013). Clinical study on mannan peptide combined with TP regimen in treating patients with non-small cell lung cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4801-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4801
- Zhan YP, Huang XE, Cao J, et al (2012). Clinical safety and efficacy of Kanglaite(R) (Coix Seed Oil) injection combined with chemotherapy in treating patients with gastric cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5319-21. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.10.5319
- Zhan YP, Huang XE, Cao J, et al (2013). Clinical study on safety and efficacy of Qinin(R) (cantharidin sodium) injection combined with chemotherapy in treating patients with gastric cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4773-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4773
- Zhang WD, Zhao H (2006). Role and molecular mechanism of cantharidin in cell cycle arrest of A549 human lung carcinoma cells through mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway. J Chin Med Univ, 0258-4646 (2006) 04-0382-0.
- Zhang XJ, Wang XL (2013). Inhibitory effect of Brucea javanica oil emulsion on proliferation of NCI-H460 cells and underlying mechanism. Chin J Cancer Biother, 18, 5.
- A Pooled Analysis on Crizotinib in Treating Chinese Patients with EML4-ALK Positive Non-small-cell Lung Cancer vol.16, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.11.4797
- Human Recombinant Endostatin Combined with Cisplatin Based Doublets in Treating Patients with Advanced NSCLC and Evaluation by CT Perfusion Imaging vol.16, pp.15, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.15.6765
- Regulating Mitochondrial Biogenesis: from Herbal Remedies to Phytomedicine for Cancer Prevention vol.16, pp.17, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.8015
- Screening for Patients with Non-small Cell Lung Cancer Who Could Survive Long Term Chemotherapy vol.16, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.2.647
- Serum Pleiotrophin Could Be an Early Indicator for Diagnosis and Prognosis of Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer vol.16, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1421
- Irinotecan as a Second-line Chemotherapy for Small Cell Lung Cancer: a Systemic Analysis vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1993
- Analysis on Early Detection of Lung Cancer by PET/CT Scan vol.16, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.6.2215
- Expression of TS, RRM1, ERCC1, TUBB3 and STMN1 Genes in Tissues of Non-small Cell Lung Cancer and its Significance in Guiding Postoperative Adjuvant Chemotherapy vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3189
- Organ-sparing Surgery in Treating Patients with Liposarcoma of the Spermatic Cord: Institutional Experience and Pooled Analysis vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3419
- Clinical Application of Serum Tumor Abnormal Protein (TAP) in Colorectal Cancer Patients vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3425
- Radioactive Seed Implantation and Lobaplatin Chemotherapy Are Safe and Effective in Treating Patients with Advanced Lung Cancer vol.16, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.4003
- Clinical Application of Recombinant Human Endostatin in Postoperative Early Complementary Therapy on Patients with Non-small Cell Lung Cancer in Chinese Mainland vol.16, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.4013
- The advantages of using traditional Chinese medicine as an adjunctive therapy in the whole course of cancer treatment instead of only terminal stage of cancer vol.9, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5582/bst.2015.01019
- Safety and Efficacy of a Mouth-Rinse with Granulocyte Colony Stimulating Factor in Patients with Chemotherapy-Induced Oral Mucositis vol.17, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.413
- A Clinical Study on Juheli (Recombinant Human Interleukin - 11) in the Second Prevention of Chemotherapy Induced Thrombocytopenia vol.17, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.2.485
- Effect of Peripheral Blood CD4 + CD25 + Regulatory T Cell on Postoperative Immunotherapy for Patients with Renal Carcinoma vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.2027
- ROS Modulator Molecules with Therapeutic Potential in Cancers Treatments vol.23, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules23010084
- Oil Emulsion Injection Combined with the Chemotherapy for Treating Gastric Cancer: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis vol.2018, pp.1741-4288, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/6350782