- Volume 19 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Analysis of three dimensional equivalent static wind loads of symmetric high-rise buildings based on wind tunnel tests
- Liang, Shuguo (School of Civil and Building Engineering, Wuhan University) ;
- Zou, Lianghao (School of Civil and Building Engineering, Wuhan University) ;
- Wang, Dahai (School of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Wuhan University of Technology) ;
- Huang, Guoqing (School of Civil Engineering, Southwest Jiaotong University)
- Received : 2013.11.28
- Accepted : 2014.08.31
- Published : 2014.11.25
Using synchronous surface pressures from the wind tunnel test, the three dimensional wind load models of high-rise buildings are established. Furthermore, the internal force responses of symmetric high-rise buildings in along-wind, across-wind and torsional directions are evaluated based on mode acceleration method, which expresses the restoring force as the summation of quasi-static force and inertia force components. Accordingly the calculation methods of equivalent static wind loads, in which the contributions of the higher modes can be considered, of symmetric high-rise buildings in along-wind, across-wind and torsional directions are deduced based on internal forces equivalence. Finally the equivalent static wind loads of an actual symmetric high-rise building are obtained by this method, and compared with the along-wind equivalent static wind loads obtained by China National Standard.
high-rise building;equivalent static wind load;mode acceleration method;internal force responses
Supported by : China National Natural Science Foundation
- Chen, X. and Kareem, A. (2004), "Equivalent static wind loads on buildings: new model", J. Struct. Eng. - ASCE, 130(10), 1425-1435. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:10(1425)
- Aly, A.M. (2013a), "Pressure integration technique for predicting wind-induced response in high-rise buildings", Alexandria Eng. J., 52, 717-731. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aej.2013.08.006
- Aly, A.M. (2013b), "Proposed approach for determination of tributary areas for scattered pressure taps", Wind Struct., 16(6), 617-627. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2013.16.6.617
- Architecture Institute of Japan (AIJ) (1996), Recommendations For Loads On Buildings, Architecture Institute of Japan, Tokyo.
- Blaise, N. and Denoel, V. (2013), "Principal static wind loads", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 113, 29-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2012.12.009
- Chan, C.M., Huang, M.F. and Kwok, K.C.S. (2010), "Integrated wind load analysis and stiffness optimization of tall buildings with 3D modes", Eng. Struct., 32(5), 1252-1261. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.01.001
- Chen, X. and Kareem, A. (2005), "Coupled dynamic analysis and equivalent static wind loads on buildings with three-dimensional modes", J. Struct. Eng. - ASCE, 131(7), 1071-108. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2005)131:7(1071)
- Davenport, A.G. (1967), "Gust loading factors", J. Struct. Div. - ASCE, 93(3), 11-34.
- Davenport, A.G. (1985), "The representation of the dynamic effects of turbulent wind by equivalent static wind loads", Proceedings of the AISC/CISC International Symp. on Structural Steel, Chicago, 1-13.
- GB50009-2012 (2012), Load Code for the Design of Building Structures, China Architecture and Building Press, Beijing, China.
- Gu, M. and Zhou, X. (2009), "An approximation method for resonant response with coupling modes of structures under wind action", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 97(11-12), 573-580. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2009.08.013
- Holmes, J.D. (2002), "Effective static load distributions in wind engineering", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 90(2), 91-109. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(01)00164-7
- Huang, G., Chen, X. (2007), "Wind load effects and equivalent static wind loads of tall buildings based on synchronous pressure measurements", Eng. Struct., 29(10), 2641-2653. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.01.011
- Huang, M.F., Chan, C.M., Kwok, K.C.S. and Hitchcock, P.A. (2009), "Cross correlations of modal responses of tall buildings in wind-induced lateral-torsional motion", J. Eng. Mech. - ASCE, 135(8), 802-812. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2009)135:8(802)
- Ke, S.T., Ge, Y.J., Zhao, L. and Tamura, Y. (2012), "A new methodology for analysis of equivalent static wind loads on super-large cooling towers", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 111, 30-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2012.08.001
- Huang, M.F., Tse, K.T., Chan, C.M., Kwok, K., Hitchcock, P.A. and Lou, W.J. (2011), "Mode shape linearization and correction in coupled dynamic analysis of wind-excited tall buildings", Struct. Des. Tall Build., 20(3), 327-348. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.620
- Islam, M.S., Ellingwood, B. and Corotis, R.B. (1992), "Wind-induced responses of structurally asymmetric high-rise buildings", J. Struct. Eng. - ASCE, 118(1), 207-222. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1992)118:1(207)
- Kasperski, M. and Niemann, H.J. (1992), "The LRC method-a general method of estimating unfavorable wind loads distributions for linear and nonlinear structure", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 41(1-3), 1753-1763.
- Kwon, D.K. and Kareem, A. (2013), "Comparative study of major international wind codes and standards for wind effects on tall buildings", Eng. Struct., 51, 23-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.01.008
- Liang, S., Liu, S., Zhang, L. and Gu, M. (2002), "Mathematical model of acrosswind dynamic loads on rectangular tall buildings", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 90(12-15), 1757-1770. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(02)00285-4
- Liang, S., Li, Q.S., Liu, S., Zang, L. and Gu, M. (2004), "Torsional dynamic wind loads on rectangular tall buildings", Eng. Struct., 26(1), 129-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2003.09.004
- Quan, Y. and Gu, M. (2012), "Across-wind equivalent static wind loads and responses of supper-high-rise buildings", Adv. Struct. Eng., 15(12), 2145-2155. https://doi.org/10.1260/1369-43220.127.116.115
- Rosa, L., Tomasini, G., Zasso, A., and Aly, A. M. (2012), "Wind-induced dynamics and loads in a prismatic slender building: A modal approach based on unsteady pressure measurements", Journal J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 107, 118-130.
- Solari, G. (1985), "Mathematical model to predict 3-D wind loading on buildings", J. Eng. Mech. - ASCE, 111(2), 254-275. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1985)111:2(254)
- Spence, S.M.J., Bernardini, E. and Gioffre, M. (2011), "Influence of the wind load correlation on the estimation of the generalized forces for 3D coupled tall buildings", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 99(6), 757-766. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2011.01.018
- Zhou, Y., Gu, M. and Xiang, H. (1999), "Along-wind equivalent static wind loads and responses of tall building: Part I: Unfavorable distributions of equivalent static wind loads", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 79(1-2), 135-150. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(97)00297-3
- Tamura, Y., Kim, Y.C., Kikuchi, H. and Hibi, K. (2014), "Correlation and combination of wind force components and responses", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 125, 81-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2013.11.015
- Wang, D. and Liang, S. (2010), "Research on along-wind equivalent static load of High-rise Buildings", Eng. Mech., 27(1), 134-140. (in Chinese)
- Zhang, X. (1988), "The current Chinese code on wind loading and comparative study of wind loading codes", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 30, 133-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(88)90078-5
- Zhou, Y., Kareem, A. and Gu, M. (2000), "Equivalent static buffeting wind loads on structures", J. Struct. Eng. - ASCE, 126(8), 989-992. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:8(989)
- The support systems of unique high-rise buildings vol.106, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1051/matecconf/201710602026
- Equivalent static wind loads for stability design of large span roof structures vol.20, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2015.20.1.095
- Study of wind tunnel test results of high-rise buildings compared to different design codes vol.20, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2015.20.5.623
- Wind tunnel tests of 3D wind loads on tall buildings based on torsional motion-induced vibrations vol.23, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2016.23.3.231