- Volume 19 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Field measurements of wind characteristics over hilly terrain within surface layer
- He, Y.C. (Deparment of Architecture and Civil Engineering, City University of Hong Kong) ;
- Chan, P.W. (Hong Kong Observatory) ;
- Li, Q.S. (Deparment of Architecture and Civil Engineering, City University of Hong Kong)
- Received : 2014.01.03
- Accepted : 2014.08.31
- Published : 2014.11.25
This paper investigates the topographic effects on wind characteristics over hilly terrain, based on wind data recorded at a number of meteorological stations in or near complex terrain. The multiply data sources allow a more detailed investigation of the flow field than is normally possible. Vertical profiles of mean and turbulent wind components from a Sodar profiler were presented and then modeled as functions of height and wind speed. The correlations between longitudinal and vertical wind components were discussed. The phenomena of flow separation and generation of vortices were observed. The distance-dependence of the topographic effects on gust factors was revealed subsequently. Furthermore, the canyon effect was identified and discussed based on the observations of wind at a saddle point between two mountain peaks. This study aims to further understanding of the characteristics of surface wind over rugged terrain. The presented results are expected to be useful for structural design, prevention of pollutant dispersion, and validation of CFD (computational fluid dynamics) models or techniques over complex terrains.
wind characteristics;hilly terrain;profile;flow separation;canyon effect;topographic effect
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation
- Apsley, D.D. and Castro, I.P. (1997), "Flow and dispersion over hills: comparison between numerical predictions and experimental data", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 67-68, 375-386. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(97)00087-1
- Architectural Institute of Japan (2004), AIJ Recommendation for Loads on Building, Japan.
- ASCE 7 (2005), Wind loads, American Society of Civil Engineers ASCE7-05 Standard.
- Baker, C.J. (1984), "Determination of topographical exposure factors in complicated hilly terrain", J. Wind Eng.Ind. Aerod., 17(2), 239-249. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(84)90058-8
- Cao, S.Y. and Tamura, T. (2006), "Experimental study on roughness effects on turbulent boundary layer flow over a two-dimensional steep hill", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 94(1), 1-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2005.10.001
- Baker, C.J., Wood, C.J. and Gawthorpe R.G. (1985), "Strong wind in complicated hilly terrain-field measurements and wind-tunnel study", J. Wind Eng.Ind. Aerod., 18(1), 1-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(85)90072-8
- Beljaars, A.C.M., Walmsley, J.L. and Taylor, P.A. (1987), "A mixed spectral finite-difference model for neutrally stratified boundary-layer flow over roughness changes and topography", Bound.- Lay. Meteor., 38(3), 273-303. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00122448
- Bowen, A.J. and Clucas, H. (1992), "The measurement and interpretation of peak-gust wind speeds over an isolated hill", J. Wind Eng.Ind. Aerod., 41-44, 381-392.
- Cao, S.Y., Wang, T., Ge, Y.J. and Tamura, Y. (2012), "Numerical study on turbulent boundary layers over two-dimensional hills-effects of surface roughness and slope", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 104-106, 342-349. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2012.02.022
- Chan, P.W. (2008), "Measurement of turbulence intensity profile by a mini-sodar", Meteorol. Appl., 15(2), 249-258. https://doi.org/10.1002/met.66
- Chan, P.W. (2014), "Observation and numerical simulation of vortex/wave shedding for terrain-distributed airflow at the Hong Kong International Airport during Typhoon Nesat in 2011", Meteorol. Appl., 21, 512-520. https://doi.org/10.1002/met.1310
- Cochran, L. and Derickson, R. (2011), "A physical modeler's view of computational wind engineering", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 99(4), 139-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2011.01.015
- Coppin, P.A., Bradley, E.F. and Finnigan, J.J. (1994), "Measurements of flow over an elongated ridge and its thermal stability dependence: the mean field", Bound.-Lay. Meteor., 69(1-2), 173-199. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00713302
- Derickson, R.G. and Peterka, J.A. (2004), "Development of a powerful hybrid tool for evaluating wind power in complex terrain: atmospheric numerical models and wind tunnels", Proceedings of the 23rdASME Wind Energy Symposium, 15, Reno, Nevada, USA.
- ESDU (1985), Characteristics of atmospheric turbulence near the ground. Part 2: single point data for strong winds (neutral atmosphere). Item No. 85020, ESDU International, London, UK.
- Griffiths, A.D. and Middleton, J.H. (2010), "Simulations of separated flow over two dimensional hills", J. Wind Eng.Ind. Aerod., 98(3), 155-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2009.10.011
- ESDU (1983), Strong wind in the atmospheric boundary layer, Part 2: Discrete gust speeds. Item No. 83045, ESDU International, London, UK.
- Garratt, J.R. (1992), The Atmospheric Boundary Layer, Cambridge atmospheric and space science series, Cambridge University Press, New York, USA.
- GB50009-2012 (2012), China Academy of Building Research, National load codes for the design of building structures, China Architectural & Building Press, Beijing, China.
- He, Y.C., Chan, W.P. and Li, Q.S. (2013), "Wind characteristics under different terrain conditions", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 120, 51-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2013.06.016
- Hunt, J.C.R., Abell, C.J., Peterka, J.A. and Woo, H. (1978), "Kinematical studies of the flows around free or surface-mounted obstacles; applying topology to flow visualization", J. Fluid Mech., 86(1), 179-200. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112078001068
- Hunt, J.C.R., Leibovich, S. and Richards, K.J. (1988), "Turbulent shear flows over low hills", Q. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc., 114(484), 1435-1470. https://doi.org/10.1002/qj.49711448405
- Hunt, J.C.R. and Richards, K.J. (1984), "Stratified airflow over one or two hills", Bound.- Lay. Meteor., 30, 223-259. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00121956
- Jackson, P.S. and Hunt, J.C.R. (1975), "Turbulent wind flow over a low hill", Q. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc., 101(430), 929-955. https://doi.org/10.1002/qj.49710143015
- Keith, W.A. and Dale, E.H. (2004), "Observations of boundary-layer wind-tunnel flow over isolated ridges of varying steepness and roughness", Bound.- Lay. Meteor., 112(3), 525-556. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:BOUN.0000030663.13477.51
- Kustas, W.P. and Brutsaert, W. (1986), "Wind profile constants in a neutral atmospheric boundary layer over complex terrain", Bound.-Lay. Meteor., 34(1-2), 35-54. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00120907
- Lemelin, D.R., Surry, D. and Davenport, A.G. (1988), "Simple approximations for wind speed-up over hills", J. Wind Eng.Ind. Aerod., 28(1-3), 117-127. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(88)90108-0
- Mengelkamp, H.T. (1999), "Wind climate simulation over complex terrain and wind turbine energy output estimation", Theor. Appl. Climatol., 63(3-4), 129-139. https://doi.org/10.1007/s007040050098
- Mason, P.J. and Sykes, R.I. (1979), "Flow over an isolated hill of moderate slope", Q. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc., 105(444), 383-395. https://doi.org/10.1002/qj.49710544405
- Mason, P. J. and King, J. C. (1985), "Measurements and predictions of flow and turbulence over an isolated hill of moderate slope", Quart. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc., 111(468), 617-640. https://doi.org/10.1002/qj.49711146818
- Masters, F.J., Vickery, P.J., Bacon, P. and Rappaport, E.N. (2010), "Toward objective, standardized intensity estimates from surface wind speed observations", B. Am. Meteorol. Soc., 91(12), 1665-1681. https://doi.org/10.1175/2010BAMS2942.1
- Mickle, R.E., Cook, N.J., Hoff, A.M., Jensen, N.O., Salmon, J.R., Taylor, P.A., Tetzlaff, G. and Tunissen, H.W. (1988), "The Askervein Hill Project: vertical profiles of wind and turbulence", Bound.- Lay. Meteor., 43(1-2), 143-169. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00153977
- Ngo, T. and Letchford, C. (2008), "A comparison of topographic effects on gust wind speed", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 96(12), 2273-2293. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2008.01.002
- Powell, M.D., Vickery, P.J. and Reinhold, T.A. (2003), "Reduced drag coefficient for high wind speeds in tropical cyclones", Nature, 422, 279-283. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature01481
- Salmon, J.R., Bowen, A.J., Hoff, A.M., Johnson, R., Mickle, R.E., Taylor, P.A., Tetzlaff, G. and Walmsley, J.L. (1988), "The Askervein Hill Project: mean wind variations at fixed heights above ground", Bound.- Lay. Meteor., 43(3), 247-271. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00128406
- Stearns, C.R. (1970), "Determining surface roughness and displacement height", Bound.- Lay. Meteor., 1(1), 102-111. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00193908
- Tamura, T., Cao, S.Y. and Okuno, A. (2007a), "LES study of turbulent boundary layer over a smooth and a rough 2D hill model", Flow Turbul. Combust., 79(4), 405-432. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10494-007-9106-2
- Tamura, T., Okuno, A. and Sugio, Y. (2007b), "LES analysis of turbulent boundary layer over 3D steep hill covered with vegetation", J. Wind Eng.Ind. Aerod., 95(9-11), 1463-1475. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2007.02.014
- Tamura, Y., Iwatani, Y., Hibi, K., Suda, K., Nakamura, O., Maruyama, T. and Ishibashi, R. (2007), "Profiles of mean wind speeds and vertical turbulence intensities measured at seashore and two inland sites using Doppler SODAR", J. Wind Eng.Ind. Aerod., 95(6), 411-427. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2006.08.005
- Takahashi, T., Ohtsu, T., Yassin, M.F. and Kato, S. (2002), "Turbulence characteristics of wind over a hill with a rough surface", J. Wind Eng.Ind. Aerod., 90(12-15), 1697-1706. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(02)00280-5
- Taylor, P.A., Mason, P.J. and Bradley, E.F. (1987), "Boundary-layer flow over low hills", Bound.- Lay. Meteor., 39(1-2), 107-132. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00121870
- Taylor, P.A. and Teunissen, H.W. (1987), "The Askervein Hill Project: overview and background data", Bound.- Lay. Meteor., 39(1-2), 15-39. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00121863
- Taylor, P.A. (1998), "Turbulent boundary-layer flow over low and moderate slope hills", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 74-76, 25-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(98)00005-1
- Walmsley, J.L., Salmon, J.R. and Taylor, P.A. (1982), "On the application of a model of boundary-layer flow over low hills to real terrain", Bound.- Lay. Meteor., 23(1), 17-46. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00116110
- Walmsley, L. and Taylor P.A. (1996), "Boundary-layer flow over topography: impacts of the Askervein study", Bound.-Lay. Meteor., 78, 291-320. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00120939
- Wiggs, G.F.S., Livingstone, I, Thomas, D.S.G. and Bullard, J.E. (1996), "Airflow and roughness characteristics over partially vegetated linear dunes in the southwest Kalahari Desert", Earth Surf. Proc. Land., 21, 19-34. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9837(199601)21:1<19::AID-ESP508>3.0.CO;2-P
- Wood, N. (1995), "The onset of separation in neutral, turbulent flow over hills", Bound.- Lay. Meteor., 76(1-2), 137-164. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00710894
- Wood, N. (2000), "Wind flow over complex terrain: a historical perspective and the prospect for large-eddy modeling", Bound.- Lay. Meteor., 96(1-2), 11-32. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1002017732694
- Xu, D., Ayotte, K.W. and Taylor, P.A. (1994), "Development of the NLMSFD model of turbulent boundary-layer flow over topography", Bound.- Lay. Meteor., 70, 341-367. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00713775
- Observational study on thermodynamic and kinematic structures of Typhoon Vicente (2012) at landfall vol.172, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2017.11.008
- Estimation of roughness length at Hong Kong International Airport via different micrometeorological methods vol.171, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2017.09.019
- Standardization of Offshore Surface Wind Speeds vol.55, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1175/JAMC-D-15-0299.1
- Vertical wind profiles for typhoon, monsoon and thunderstorm winds vol.168, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2017.06.004