- Volume 19 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Wind induced pressure on 'Y' plan shape tall building
- Mukherjee, Sourav (Bengal Engineering and Science University Shibpur) ;
- Chakraborty, Souvik (Bengal Engineering and Science University Shibpur) ;
- Dalui, Sujit Kumar (Faculty of Engineering (Civil), Bengal Engineering and Science University) ;
- Ahuja, Ashok Kumar (Faculty of Engineering (Civil), Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee)
- Received : 2013.09.28
- Accepted : 2014.08.31
- Published : 2014.11.25
This paper presents a comprehensive study of pressure developed on different faces of a 'Y' plan shape tall building using both numerical and experimental means. The experiment has been conducted in boundary layer wind tunnel located at Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, India for flow condition corresponding to terrain category II of IS:875 (Part 3) - 1987, at a mean wind velocity of 10 m/s. Numerical study has been carried out under similar condition using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) package of ANSYS, namely ANSYS CFX. Two turbulence models, viz.,
computational fluid dynamics (CFD);
Supported by : Department of Science and Technology(DST)
- AS/NZS: 1170.2 (2002), Structural Design Actions, Part 2: Wind Actions, Standards Australia/Standards New Zealand, Sydney, Wellington.
- Amin, J.A. and Ahuja, A.K. (2012), "Wind-induced mean interference effects between two Closed spaced buildings", KSCE, 16(1), 119-131. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-012-1163-y
- ANSYS (2012), Inc., Tutorial for ANSYS CFX 14.5, 2012.
- ASCE: 7-10 (2010), Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures, Structural Engineering Institute of the American Society of Civil Engineering, Reston.
- Au, S.K., Zhang, F.L. and To, P. (2012), "Field observations on modal properties of two tall buildings under strong wind", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 101, 12-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2011.12.002
- Bardina, J.E., Huang, P.G. and Coakley, T.J. (1997), Turbulence Modeling Validation, Testing, and Development, NASA Technical Memorandum 110446.
- Bashor, R., Bobby, S., Kijewski-Correa, T. and Kareem, A. (2012), "Full-scale performance evaluation of tall buildings under wind", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 104-106, 88-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2012.04.007
- Blocken, B. and Carmeliet, J. (2005), "High resolution wind-driven rain measurements on a low-rise building-experimental data for model development and model validation", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 93(12), 905-928 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2005.09.004
- Braun, A.L. and Awruch, A.M. (2009), "Aerodynamic and aeroelastic analyses on the CAARC standard tall building model using numerical simulation", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 87(9-10), 564-581.
- Cheng, C.K.C., Lam, K.M., Leung, Y.T.A., Yang, K., Li Danny, H.W. and Cheung Sherman, C.P. (2011), "Wind-induced natural ventilation of re-entrant bays in a high-rise building", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 99(2-3), 79-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2010.11.002
- Cluni, F., Gusella, V., Spence, S.M.J. and Bartoli, G. (2011), "Wind action on regular and irregular tall buildings: Higher order moment statistical analysis by HFFB and SMPSS measurements", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 99(6-7), 682-690. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2011.01.020
- Gomes, M., Rodrigues, A. and Mendes, P. (2005), "Experimental and numerical study of wind pressure on irregular-plan shapes", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 93(10), 741-756. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2005.08.008
- Davenport, A.G. (1993), The response of slender structures to wind, Wind Climate in Cities, (Ed., Cermak et al.), Germany.
- Franke, J., Hirsch, C., Jensen, A., Krus, H., Schatzmann, M., Westbury, P., Miles, S., Wisse, J. and Wright, N.G. (2004), Recommendations on the use of CFD in Wind Engineering, COST Action C14: Impact of Wind and Storm on City Life and Built Environment, von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics.
- Fu, J.Y., Li, Q.S., Wu, J.R., Xiao, Y.Q. and Song, L.L.(2008), "Field measurement of boundary layer wind characteristics and wind induced response of super tall buildings", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 96(8-9), 1332-1358. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2008.03.004
- Hayashida, H. and Iwasa, Y. (1990) "Aerodynamic shape effects of tall buildings for vortex induced vibration", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 33 (1-2), 237-242. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(90)90039-F
- IS: 875 (1987), "Indian Standard Code of Practice for Design Loads (Other than Earthquake) For Buildings And Structures, Part 3 (Wind Loads)" Bureau Of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- Jones, W.P. and Launder, B.E. (1972), "The prediction of laminarization with a two-equation model of turbulence", Int. J. Heat Mass Trans., 15, 301-314. https://doi.org/10.1016/0017-9310(72)90076-2
- Kim, Y., You, K. and Ko, N. (2008), "Across-wind responses of an aeroelastic tapered tall building", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 96(8-9), 1307-1319. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2008.02.038
- Kwok, K.C.S., Qin, X.R., Fok, C.H. and Hitchcock, P.A. (2011), "Wind-induced pressures around a sectional twin-deck bridge model: effects of gap-width on the aerodynamic forces and vortex shedding mechanisms", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 110, 50-61.
- Launder, B.E. and Sharma, B.I. (1974), "Application of the energy dissipation model of turbulence to the calculation of flow near a spinning disc", Lett. Heat Mass. Transfer, 1(2), 131-138.
- Lin, N., Letchford, C., Tamura, Y. and Liang, B. (2004), "Characteristics of wind forces acting on tall buildings", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 93(3), 217-242.
- Spence, M.J.S. and Gioffre, M. (2012), "Large scale reliability-based design optimization of wind excited tall buildings", Probabilist Eng. Mech., 28, 206-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.probengmech.2011.08.001
- Menter, F.R. (1994), "Two-equation eddy-viscosity turbulence models for engineering applications", AIAA J., 32(8), 1598-1605 https://doi.org/10.2514/3.12149
- NBC (Part-4) (1995), Structural commentaries, National Research Council of Canada.
- Simiu, E. and Scanlan, R.H. (1996), Wind Effects on Structures, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Song, M.X., Chen, K., He, Z.Y. and Zhang, X. (2014) "Wind resource assessment on complex terrain based on observations of a single anemometer", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 125, 22-29 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2013.11.011
- Stathopoulos, T. and Baniotopoulos, C.C. (2007), Wind Effects on Buildings and Design of Wind-Sensitive Structures, Springer Wien New York, Udine, Italy.
- Tse, K.T., Hitchcock, P.A., Kwok, K.C.S. and Chan, C.M. (2009), "Economic perspectives of aerodynamic treatments of square tall buildings", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 97(9-10), 455 -467. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2009.07.005
- Tu, J., Yeoh, G.H. and Liu, C. (2008), Computational Fluid Dynamics A practical Approach, Elsevier, New Delhi, India.
- Yi, J., Zhang, J.W. and Li, Q.S. (2013), "Dynamic characteristics and wind-induced responses of a super-tall building during typhoons", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 121, 116-130. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2013.08.006
- Across-wind dynamic loads on L-shaped tall buildings vol.23, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2016.23.5.385
- Modelling uncertainty in incompressible flow simulation using Galerkin based generalized ANOVA vol.208, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cpc.2016.08.003
- An efficient algorithm for building locally refined hp – adaptive H-PCFE: Application to uncertainty quantification vol.351, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcp.2017.09.024
- Effects of courtyard and opening on a rectangular plan shaped tall building under wind load vol.10, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40091-018-0190-4