- Volume 19 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A summertime near-ground velocity profile of the Bora wind
- Lepri, Petra (Meteorological and Hydrological Service) ;
- Kozmar, Hrvoje (Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture, University of Zagreb) ;
- Vecenaj, Zeljko (Department of Geophysics, Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb) ;
- Grisogono, Branko (Department of Geophysics, Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb)
- 투고 : 2014.05.30
- 심사 : 2014.08.30
- 발행 : 2014.11.25
While effects of the atmospheric boundary layer flow on engineering infrastructure are more or less known, some local transient winds create difficulties for structures, traffic and human activities. Hence, further research is required to fully elucidate flow characteristics of some of those very unique local winds. In this study, important characteristics of observed vertical velocity profiles along the main wind direction for the gusty Bora wind blowing along the eastern Adriatic coast are presented. Commonly used empirical power-law and the logarithmic-law profiles are compared against unique 3-level high-frequency Bora measurements. The experimental data agree well with the power-law and logarithmic-law approximations. An interesting feature observed is a decrease in the power-law exponent and aerodynamic surface roughness length, and an increase in friction velocity with increasing Bora wind velocity. This indicates an urban-like velocity profile for smaller wind velocities and rural-like velocity profile for larger wind velocities, which is due to a stronger increase in absolute velocity at each of the heights observed as compared to the respective velocity gradient (difference in average velocity among two different heights). The trends observed are similar during both the day and night. The thermal stratification is near neutral due to a strong mechanical mixing. The differences in aerodynamic surface roughness length are negligible for different time averaging periods when using the median. For the friction velocity, the arithmetic mean proved to be independent of the time record length, while for the power-law exponent both the arithmetic mean and the median are not influenced by the time averaging period. Another issue is a large difference in aerodynamic surface roughness length when calculating using the arithmetic mean and the median. This indicates that the more robust median is a more suitable parameter to determine the aerodynamic surface roughness length than the arithmetic mean value. Variations in velocity profiles at the same site during different wind periods are interesting because, in the engineering community, it has been commonly accepted that the aerodynamic characteristics at a particular site remain the same during various wind regimes.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : National Science Foundation
- Stull, R.B. (1988), An Introduction to Boundary Layer Meteorology, Kluwer, Dordrecht, Netherlands.
- Tutis, V. (1988), "Bora on the Adriatic coast during ALPEX SOP on 27-30 April 1982", Rasprave-Papers, 23, 45-56.
- Vecenaj, Z., Belusic, D. and Grisogono, B. (2010), "Characteristics of the near-surface turbulence during a bora event", Ann. Geophys., 28, 155-163. https://doi.org/10.5194/angeo-28-155-2010
- Vecenaj, Z. (2012), Characteristics of the Bora related turbulence, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia.
- Vecenaj, Z., Belusic, D., Grubisic, V. and Grisogono, B. (2012), "Along-coast features of bora related turbulence", Bound. - Lay. Meteorol., 143(3), 527-545. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10546-012-9697-6
- Vucetic, V. (1991), "Statistical analysis of severe Adriatic Bora", Cro. Met. J., 26(26), 41-51.
- Wilks, D.S. (1995), Statistical Methods in the Atmospheric Sciences, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA.
- Yoshino, M.M. (1976), Local Wind Bora, University of Tokyo Press, Tokyo, Japan.
- Rakovec, J. (1987), "Preliminary report on spectral characteristics of Bora on the island of Rab", Geofizika, 4, 35-40.
- Smith, R.B. (1987), "Aerial observations of Yugoslavian Bora", J. Atmos. Sci., 44(2), 269-297. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0469(1987)044<0269:AOOTYB>2.0.CO;2
- Horvath, K., Ivatek-Sahdan, S., Ivancan-Picek, B. and Grubisic, V. (2009), "Evolution and structure of severe cyclonic Bora: contrast between the northern and southern Adriatic", Weather Forecast., 24, 946-964. https://doi.org/10.1175/2009WAF2222174.1
- Jeromel, M., Malacic, V. and Rakovec, J. (2009), "Weibull distribution of Bora and sirocco winds in the northern Adriatic Sea", Geofizika, 26(1), 85-100.
- Horvath, K., Vecenaj, Z. and Grisogono, B. (2012), "Bora flow over the complex orography of the mid-Adriatic region", Proceedings of the 15th Conference on Mountain Meteorology, Steamboat Springs, Colorado, USA , August 2012.
- Hogstrom, U. (1988), "Non-dimensional wind and temperature profiles in the atmospheric surface layer, a re-evaluation", Bound. - Lay. Meteorol., 42, 55-78. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00119875
- Jackson, P.L., Mayr, G. and Vosper, S (2013), Dynamically-Driven Winds, (Eds., F.K. Chow, S.F.J., De Wekker and B.J. Snyder), Mountain Weather Research and Forecasting. Recent Progress and Current Challenges, Springer, Dordrecht, Netherlands.
- Jurcec, V. (1981), "On mesoscale characteristics of Bora conditions in Yugoslavia", Pure Appl. Geophys., 119, 640-657.
- Jurcec, V. and Viskovic, S. (1994), "Mesoscale characteristics of southern Adriatic Bora storms", Geofizika, 11(1), 33-46.
- Klemp, J.B. and Durran, D.R. (1987), "Numerical modelling of Bora winds", Meteorol. Atmos. Phys., 36(1-4), 215-227. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01045150
- Kozmar, H., Butler, K. and Kareem, A. (2012a), "Transient cross-wind aerodynamic loads on a generic vehicle due to bora gusts", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 111, 73-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2012.09.001
- Kozmar, H., Procino, L., Borsani, A. and Bartoli, G. (2012b), "Sheltering efficiency of wind barriers on bridges", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 107-108, 274-284. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2012.04.027
- Likso, T. and Pandzic, K. (2011), "Determination of surface layer parameters at the edge of a suburban area", Theor. Appl. Climatol., 108(3-4), 373-384.
- Petkovsek, Z. (1976), "Periodicity of Bora gusts", Rasprave-Papers, 20, 67-75.
- Magjarevic, V., Vecenaj, Z., Horvath, K. and Grisogono, B. (2011), "Turbulence averaging interval for summer Bora flows at the middle of the NE Adriatic coast", Proceedings of the 31st International Conference on Alpine Meteorology, Aviemore, Scotland, May 2011.
- Makjanic, B. (1978), "Bura, jugo, etezija", Prilozi poznavanju vremena i klime SFRJ, 5, 1-43.
- Neiman, P.J., Hardesty, R.M., Shapiro, M.A. and Cupp, R.E. (1988), "Doppler lidar observations of a downslope windstorm", Mon. Weather Rev., 116(11), 2265-2275. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0493(1988)116<2265:DLOOAD>2.0.CO;2
- Petkovsek, Z. (1982), "Gravity waves and Bora gusts", Ann. Meteor., 19, 108-110.
- Petkovsek, Z. (1987), "Main Bora gusts - a model explanation", Geofizika, 4, 41-50.
- Poje, D. (1992), "Wind persistence in Croatia", Int. J. Climatol., 12, 569-586. https://doi.org/10.1002/joc.3370120604
- Agustsson, H. and Olafsson, H. (2007), "Simulating a severe windstorm in complex terrain", Meteorol. Z., 16(1), 111-122. https://doi.org/10.1127/0941-2948/2007/0169
- Bajic, A. (1988), "The strongest Bora event during ALPEX SOP", Rasprave-Papers, 23(23), 1-9.
- Bajic, A. (1989), "Severe Bora on the northern Adriatic. Part I: Statistical analysis", Rasprave-Papers, 24(24), 1-9.
- Belusic, D. and Klaic, Z.B. (2004), "Estimation of Bora wind gusts using a limited area model", Tellus, 56, 296-307. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0870.2004.00068.x
- Belusic, D., Pasaric, M. and Orlic, M. (2004), "Quasi-periodic bora gusts related to the structure of the troposphere", Q. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc., 130(598), 1103-1121. https://doi.org/10.1256/qj.03.53
- Belusic, D., Pasaric, M., Pasaric, Z., Orlic, M. and Grisogono, B. (2006), "A note on local and non-local properties of turbulence in the bora flow", Meteorol. Z., 15(3), 301-306. https://doi.org/10.1127/0941-2948/2006/0127
- Counihan, J. (1975), "Adiabatic atmospheric boundary layers: a review and analysis of data from the period 1880-1972", Atmos. Environ., 9(10), 871-905. https://doi.org/10.1016/0004-6981(75)90088-8
- Belusic, D. and Klaic, Z.B. (2006), "Mesoscale dynamics, structure and predictability of a severe Adriatic Bora case", Meteorol. Z., 15(2), 157-168. https://doi.org/10.1127/0941-2948/2006/0116
- Belusic, D., Zagar, M. and Grisogono, B. (2007), "Numerical simulation of pulsations in the Bora wind", Q. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc., 133(627), 1371-1388. https://doi.org/10.1002/qj.129
- Belusic, D., Hrastinski, M., Vecenaj, Z. and Grisogono, B. (2013), "Wind regimes associated with a mountain gap at the northeastern Adriatic coast", J. Appl. Meteorol. Clim., 52(9), 2089-2105. https://doi.org/10.1175/JAMC-D-12-0306.1
- Dyrbye, C. and Hansen, S. (1997), Wind Loads on Structures, Wiley, New York, NY, USA.
- Enger, L. and Grisogono, B. (1998), "The response of bora-type flow to sea surface temperature", Q. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc., 124(548), 1227-1244. https://doi.org/10.1002/qj.49712454810
- ESDU Data Item No. 85020 (1985), Characteristics of Atmospheric Turbulence near the Ground, Eng Sci Data Unit, London, UK.
- Garratt, J.R. (1992), The Atmospheric Boundary Layer, Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, USA.
- Grisogono, B. and Belusic, D. (2009), "A review of recent advances in understanding the meso- and micro-scale properties of the severe Bora wind", Tellus, 61, 1-16.
- Grisogono, B. (2011), "The angle of the near-surface wind-turning in weakly stable boundary layers", Q. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc., 137(656), 700-708. https://doi.org/10.1002/qj.789
- Grubisic, V. (2004), "Bora-driven potential vorticity banners over the Adriatic", Q. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc., 130(602), 2571-2603. https://doi.org/10.1256/qj.03.71
- Heimann, D. (2001), "A model-based wind climatology of the eastern Adriatic coast", Meteorol. Z., 10(1), 5-16. https://doi.org/10.1127/0941-2948/2001/0010-0005
- Hellman, G. (1916), "Uber die Bewegung der Luft in den untersten Schichten der Atmosphare", Meteorol. Z., 34, 273-285.
- Holmes, J.D. (2007), Wind Loading of Structures, 2nd Ed., Taylor & Francis, London, UK.
- On Turbulent Fluxes During Strong Winter Bora Wind Events vol.158, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10546-015-0088-7
- Near-ground turbulence of the Bora wind in summertime vol.147, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2015.09.013
- Micro-Scale Properties of Different Bora Types vol.9, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/atmos9040116
- Improving Natural Ventilation Conditions on Semi-Outdoor and Indoor Levels in Warm–Humid Climates vol.8, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/buildings8060075