- Volume 19 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Theoretical investigation on rain-wind induced vibration of a continuous stay cable with given rivulet motion
- Li, Shouying (Wind Engineering Research Center, Hunan University) ;
- Chen, Zhengqing (Wind Engineering Research Center, Hunan University) ;
- Li, Shouke (School of Civil Engineering, Hunan University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2013.09.24
- Accepted : 2014.08.20
- Published : 2014.11.25
A new theoretical model on rain-wind induced vibration (RWIV) of a continuous stay cable is developed in this paper. Different from the existing theoretical analyses in which the cable was modeled as a segmental rigid element, the proposed scheme focuses on the in-plane and out-of-plane responses of a continuous stay cable, which is identical with the prototype cable on cable-stayed bridge. In order to simplify the complexities, the motion law of the rivulet on the cable surface is assumed as a sinusoidal way according to some results obtained from wind tunnel tests. Quasi-steady theory is utilized to determine the aerodynamic forces on the cable. Equations of motion of the cable are derived in a Cartesian Coordinate System and solved by using finite difference method to obtain the in-plane and out-of-plane responses of the cable. The results show that limited cable amplitudes are achieved within a limited range of wind velocity, which is a unique characteristic of RWIV of stay cable. It appears that the in-plane cable amplitude is much larger than the out-of-plane cable amplitude. Rivulet frequency, rivulet distribution along cable axis, and mean wind velocity profile, all have significant effects on the RWIV responses of the prototype stay cable. The effects of damping ratio on RWIVs of stay cables are carefully investigated, which suggests that damping ratio of 1% is needed to well mitigate RWIVs of prototype stay cables.
a continuous stay cable;rain-wind induced vibration;mechanism study;finite difference method;theoretical model
Supported by : National Basic Research Program of China
- Burgh A.H.P. and van der, Hartono (2003), "Rain-wind-induced vibrations of a simple oscillator", Int. J. Nonlinear Mech., 39(1), 93-100.
- Cao, D.Q., Tucker, R.W. and Wang, C. (2003), "A stochastic approach to cable dynamics with moving rivulets", J. Sound Vib., 268(2), 291-304. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-460X(03)00205-0
- Chen, Z.Q., Wang, X.Y., Ko, J.M., Ni, Y.Q., Spencer, B.F., Yang, G. and Hu, J.H. (2004), "MR damping system for mitigating wind-rain induced vibration on Dongting Lake cable-stayed bridge", Wind Struct., 7(5), 293-304. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2004.7.5.293
- Cosentino, N., Flamand, O. and Ceccoli, C. (2003), "Rain-wind induced vibration of inclined stay cables. Part II: Mechanical modeling and parameter characterization", Wind Struct., 6(6), 485-498. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2003.6.6.485
- Gu, M. (2009), "On wind-rain induced vibration of cables of cable-stayed bridges based on quasi-steady assumption", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 97(7-8), 381-391. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2009.05.004
- Gu, M. and Du, X.Q. (2005), "Experimental investigation of rain-wind-induced vibration of cables in cable-stayed bridges and its mitigation", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 93(1), 79-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2004.09.003
- Hikami, Y. and Shiraishi, N. (1988), "Rain-wind induced vibrations of cables in cable stayed bridges", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 29(1-3), 409-418. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(88)90179-1
- Gu, M., Du, X.Q. and Li, S.Y. (2009), "Experimental and theoretical simulations on wind-rain-induced vibration of 3-D rigid stay cables", J. Sound Vib., 320(1-2), 184-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2008.07.009
- Gu, M., Liu, C.J., Xu, Y.L. and Xiang, H.F. (2002), "Response characteristics of wind excited cables with artificial rivulet", Appl. Math. Mech., 23(10), 1176-1187. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02437666
- Gu, M. and Lu, Q. (2001), "Theoretical analysis of wind-rain induced vibration of cables of cable-stayed bridges", J. Wind Eng., 89, 125-128.
- Holmes, J.D. (2003), Wind loading of structures, Spon press.
- Irvine, H.M. (1981), Cable Structure, the MIT Press.
- Li, H., Chen W.L., Xu, F., Li, F.C. and Ou, J.P. (2010), "A numerical and experimental hybrid approach for the investigation of aerodynamic forces on stay cables suffering from rain-wind induced vibration", J. Fluid Struct., 26(7-8), 1195-1215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2010.06.006
- Li, S.Y., Chen, Z.Q., Kareem, A. and Wu, T. (2013), "On the rain-wind induced in-plane and out-of-plane vibrations of stay cables", J. Eng. Mech. -ASCE, 139(12), 1688-1698. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000612
- Li, S.Y. and Gu, M. (2006), "Numerical simulations of flow around stay cables with and without fixed artificial rivulets", Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Computational Wind Engineering (CWE2006),Yokohama, Japan.
- Matsumoto, M., Saitoh, T., Kitazawa, M., Shirato, H. and Nishizaki, T. (1995), "Response characteristics of rain-wind induced vibration of stay-cables of cable-stayed bridges", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 57(2-3), 323-333. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(95)00010-O
- Matsumoto, M., Shirato, H., Yagi, T., Goto, M., Sakai, S. and Ohya, J. (2003), "Field observation of the full-scale wind induced cable vibration", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 91(1-2), 13-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(02)00332-X
- Peil, U. and Nahrath, N. (2003a), "Modeling of rain-wind induced vibrations", Wind Struct., 6(1), 41-52. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2003.6.1.041
- Peil, U., Nahrath, N. and Dreyer, O. (2003b), Modeling of rain-wind induced vibrations, 11ICWE, Lubbock, USA.
- Ren, S.Y. and Gu, M. (2005), "Static analysis of cables' configuration in cable-stayed bridges", J. Tongji Univ., 33(5), 595-599. (in Chinese)
- Rocchi, D. and Zasso, A. (2002), "Vortex shedding from a circular cylinder in a smooth and wired configuration: comparison between 3D LES simulation and experimental analysis", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 90(4-5), 475-489. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(01)00203-3
- Taylor, I.J. and Robertson, A.C. (2011), "Numerical simulation of the airflow-rivulet interaction associated with the rain-wind induced vibration phenomenon", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 99(9), 931-944. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2011.03.012
- Wilde, K. and Witkowski, W. (2003), "Simple model of rain-wind-induced vibrations of stayed cables", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 91(7), 873-891. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(03)00020-5
- Xu, Y.L., Chen, J., Ng, C.L. and Zhou, H.J. (2008), "Occurrence probability of wind-rain-induced stay cable vibration", Adv. Struct. Eng., 11(1), 53-69. https://doi.org/10.1260/136943308784069487
- Xu, Y.L. and Wang, L.Y. (2003), "Analytical study of wind-rain-induced cable vibration: SDOF model", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 91(1-2), 27-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(02)00333-1
- Yamaguchi, H. (1990), "Analytical study on growth mechanism of rain vibration of cables", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 33(1-2), 73-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(90)90022-5
- Zhou, H.J. and Xu, Y.L. (2007), "Wind-rain-induced vibration and control of stay cables in a cable-stayed bridge", Struct. Control Health Monit., 14(7), 1013-1033. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.190
- Numerical study on the mitigation of rain-wind induced vibrations of stay cables with dampers vol.23, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2016.23.6.615
- On the aerodynamic characteristics of stay cables attached with helical wires 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1369433217739707
- Investigation on Nonlinear Dynamics Behavior of Stay Cables under Rain-Wind Induced Vibration in the Consideration of the Restoring Force and the Coulomb Force Comprehensively vol.178-181, pp.1662-7482, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.178-181.1994