- Volume 37 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Distribution pattern of Pectinatella magnifica (Leidy, 1851), an invasive species, in the Geum River and the Nakdong River, South Korea
- Jo, Hyunbin ;
- Joo, Gea-Jae ;
- Byeon, Myeoungseop ;
- Hong, Dong-Gyun ;
- Gim, Jung-Soo ;
- Kim, Ji-Yoon ;
- Choi, Jong-Yun
- Received : 2014.09.29
- Accepted : 2014.11.07
- Published : 2014.11.28
We conducted a distributional survey of Pectinatella magnifica, an invasive species, in the Geum River and the Nakdong River from July 12 to July 25, 2014. The spacing between the study sites was 10 km along the main channels for the Geum River (n = 12, 120 km) and the Nakdong River (n = 38, 380 km) from the estuarine barrage to upper part of main channel. Pectinatella magnifica was detected along the riparian zone (within 100 m) at each of the study sites. Presence rate of P. magnifica in Geum River and Nakdong River was 25% and 32.6%, respectively. The colony number of P. magnifica at Geum River (
basic information;distribution;invasive species;Pectinatella magnifica
- Joo GJ, Ward AK, Ward GM. 1992. Ecology of Pectinatella magnifica (Bryozoa) in an Alabama oxbow lake: colony growth and association with algae. J N Am Benthol Soc 11: 324-333. https://doi.org/10.2307/1467652
- Balounova Z, Pechouskova E, Rajchard J, Joza V, Sinko J. 2013. World-wide distribution of the Bryozoan Pectinatella magnifica (Leidy 1851). Eur J Environ Sci 3: 96-100.
- Balounova Z, Rajchard J, Svehla J, Smahel L. 2011. The onset of invasion of bryozoan Pectinatella magnifica in South Bohemia (Czech Republic). Biologia 66: 1091-1096.
- Brooks CM. 1929. Notes on the statoblasts and polypids of Pectinatella magnifica. Proc Acad Nat Sci Philadelphia 81: 427-441.
- Davenport CB. 1900. On the variation of the statoblasts of Pectinatella magnifica from Lake Michigan, at Chicago. Am Nat 34: 959-968. https://doi.org/10.1086/277823
- Jeong KS, Kim DK, Joo GJ. 2007. Delayed influence of dam storage and discharge on the determination of seasonal proliferations of Microcystis aeruginosa and Stephanodiscus hantzschii in a regulated river system of the lower Nakdong River (South Korea). Water Res 41: 1269-1279. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2006.11.054
- K-water. 2014. Environmental factors database. http://www.blogkwater.or.kr/. Accessed 23 September 2014.
- Massard JA, Geimer G. 2002. Occurrence of Pectinatella magnifica (Leidy, 1851)(Bryozoa, Phylactolaemata) in the German-Luxembourg border region near Bech-Kleinmacher (Luxembourg) and Nennig (Germany). Arch-Inst Grand-Ducal Luxemb Sci Nat Phys Math 44: 107-120.
- Massard JA, Geimer G. 2008. Global diversity of bryozoans (Bryozoa or Ectoprocta) in freshwater: an update. Bull Soc Nat Luxemb 109: 139-148.
- Mawatari S. 1973. New occurrence of Pectinatella magnifica (Leidy) in a Japanese lake. Proc Jap Soc Syst Zool 9: 41-43.
- Normile D. 2010. Restoration or devastation? Science 327: 1568-1570. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.327.5973.1568
- Oda S. 1974. Pectinatella magnifica occurring in Lake Shoji, Japan. Proc Jap Soc Syst Zool 10: 31-39.
- Seo JE. 1998. Taxonomy of the freshwater bryozoans from Korea. Korean J Syst Zool 14: 371-378.
- Setlikova I, Skacelova O, Sinko J, Rajchard J, Balounova Z. 2013. Ecology of Pectinatella magnifica and associated algae and cyanobacteria. Biologia 68: 1136-1141.
- Wilcox AW. 1906. Locomotion in young colonies of Pectinatella magnifica. Biol Bull 11: 245-252. https://doi.org/10.2307/1535746
- Wood TS. 2001. Bryozoans. In: Ecology and Classification of North American Freshwater Invertebrates (Thorp JH, Covich A, eds). 2nd ed. Academic Press, New York, NY, pp 505-525.
- Assessment of Chemical Impact of Invasive Bryozoan Pectinatella magnifica on the Environment: Cytotoxicity and Antimicrobial Activity of P. magnifica Extracts vol.21, pp.11, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules21111476
- AFLP reveals low genetic diversity of the bryozoan Pectinatella magnifica (Leidy, 1851) in the Czech Republic vol.24, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40709-017-0069-8
- Pectinatella magnifica (Leidy, 1851) (Bryozoa, Phylactolaemata), a biofouling bryozoan recently introduced to China vol.35, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00343-017-6052-2
- The relationship between occurrence of invasive bryozoan Pectinatella magnifica (Leidy 1851) and parameters of the aquatic environment in the Biosphere Reserve Třeboňsko (Czech Republic) vol.26, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11273-018-9624-9
Supported by : Ministry of Environment