- Volume 17 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study of Emotional Dimension that takes into account the Characteristics of the Arousal axis
각성 축의 특성을 고려한 감정차원에 관한 연구
- Han, Eui-Hwan (Department of Electronic Engineering, Soongsil University) ;
- Cha, Hyung-Tai (Department of Electronic Engineering, Soongsil University)
- Received : 2014.03.04
- Accepted : 2014.08.18
- Published : 2014.09.30
In this paper, we verify the relation between elements (active and inactive) of Russell's emotional dimension ("A Circumplex Model") to propose a new representing method. Russell's emotional dimension expresses emotional words (happy, joy, sad, nervous, etc.) as a point on the two dimensions (Arousal and Valence). It is most commonly used in many filed such as Science of Emotion & Sensibility, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), and Psychology etc. But other researchers have insisted that Russell's emotional dimension have to be modified because of its inherent problems. Such problems included the possibility of mixed feelings, the difference of emotion and sensibility, and the difference of Arousal axis and Valence axis. Therefore, we verify relationship of A Circumplex Model's elements (active and inactive) and find how to people express their Arousal feelings using survey. We finally propose new method to express emotion in Russell's emotional dimension. Using this method, we can solve Russell's problems and compensate other researches.
Supported by : 숭실대학교
- Bradley, M. M., Lang, P. J. (2010). Affective Norms for English Words(ANEW): Affective ratings of words and instruction manual, Instruction manual and affective ratings. Technical Report C-2. University of Florida, Gainesville, FL.
- Cacioppo, J. T. & Berntson G. G. (1994). Relationship between attitudes and evaluative space : A critical review, with emphasis on the separability of positive and negative substrates, Psychological Bulletin, 115, 401-423 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.115.3.401
- Lang, P. J. & Bradley, M. M. & Cuthbert, B. N. (2008). International affective picture system(IAPS): Affective ratings of pictures and instruction manual, Technical Report A-8, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL.
- Larsen, J. T. & McGraw, A. P. & Cacioppo, J. T. (2001). Can People Feel Happy and Sad at the Same Time?, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 81(4), 684-696. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2064
- Lee, K, Y. (1997). Human Sensibility and Its Measurement and Evaluation, Proceedings of the Korean Society for Emotion and Sensibility Conference, 37-42.
- Lee, K, Y. (1998). Human Sensibility and Emotion in Sensibility Ergonomics, Korean Journal of The Science of Emotion & Sensibility, 1(1), 113-122.
- Kim, J. K. & Moon, H. S. & Oh, K. J. (1998). Validating the Stability of Two-dimensional Structure of Emotion, Korean Journal of the Science for Emotion & Sensibility, 2(1), 43-52.
- Koots, L. & Realo, A. & Allik, J. (2012). Relationship Between Linguistic Antonyms in Momentary and Retrospective Ratings of Happiness and Sadness, Journal of individual Difference, Vol. 33(1), 43-53. https://doi.org/10.1027/1614-0001/a000061
- Mauss, I. B. & Robinson, M.. D. (2009). Measures of emotion: A review, COGNITION AND EMOTION, 23(2), 209-237. https://doi.org/10.1080/02699930802204677
- Osgood, C. E. & May, W. H. & Miron, M. S. (1975). Cross-cultural universals of affective meaning, Urbana: University of Illinoise Press.
- Park, T. J. & Park, S. H. (2009). Emotional Evaluation about IAPS in Korean University Student. Korean Journal of Cognitive Science, 20(2), 183-195.
- Russell, J. A. (1980). A Circumplex Model of Affect, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 39(6), 1161-1178. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0077714
- Russell, J. A. & Lewicka, M. & Nitt, T. (1989). A cross-cultural study of a circumplex model of affect, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 57, 848-856. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.118
- Russell, J. A. & Carroll, J. M. (1999). On the bipolarity of positive and negative affect. Psychological Bulletin, 125, 3-30. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.125.1.3
- Rea, L. M. & Parker, R. A. (2005). Designing & Conduction Survey Research A Comprehensive Guid (3rd Edition). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Han, E. H. & Cha, H. T. (2013). A study of Emotional Dimension for Mixed Feelings, Korean Journal of The Science of Emotion & Sensibility, 16(4), 469-480.