- Volume 29 Issue 5
This study investigated a posttraumatic stress, social support, and work burden and identified related factors which exerted influence on posttraumatic stress of new firefighters. Data were gathered from total of 144 new firefighters. Also, 22 PTS items, 20 work burden items, and 8 social support items were analyzed by SPSSWIN 21.0 program. Posttraumatic stress according to general characteristics showed significant difference in gender(t=-2.57, p=0.01), experience of self danger(t=3.06, p=0.00), experience of rescuee danger(t=2.41, p=0.02), and experience of colleague danger(t=3.43, p=0.00). High risk group of PTS was 20.1%. Posttraumatic stress, social support, and work burden showed significant difference in the high and low risk group. Posttraumatic stress was correlated with work burden(r=0.34, p=0.00), social support(r=-0.29,p=0.00). Factors influencing PTS were Experience of colleague danger(
posttraumatic stress;social support;work burden
- E-Nala Index. Statistics Korea. http://www.index.go.kr/egams/stts/jsp/potal/stts/PO_STTS_IdxMain.jsp?idx_cd=1632&bbs=INDX_001&clas_div=C&rootKey=6.48.0. 2013.
- J. E. Bae and Y. J. Kim, "A Study on Post-traumatic Stress in Fire Fighters", The Korean Association for Crisis and Emergency Management, pp. 138-155, 2010.
- J. -H. Oh and N. -Y. Lim, "Analysis of Factors Influencing Secondary Traumatic Stress, Burnout, and Physical Symptoms in Firefighters", Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, Vol 13, No. 1, pp. 96-106, 2006.
- S. Mitani, M. Fujita, K. Nakata and T. Shirakawa, "Impact of Post-traumatic Stress Disorder and Job-related Stress on Burnout: A Study of Fire Service Workers", Journal of Emergency Medicine, Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 7-11, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jemermed.2005.08.008
- M. L. Baek, "Posttraumatic Stress by Work in Fire Fighters", Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 59-65, 2009.
- B. -Y. Koh, "Posttraumatic Stress in Firefighters", The Journal of the Korean Society of Emergency Medical Technology, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 5-15, 2008.
- H. J. Eun, T. W. Kwon, S. M. Lee, T. H. Kim, M. R. Choi and S. J. Cho, "A Study on Reliability and Validity of the Korean Version of Impact of Event Scale-revised", Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatry Associasion, Vol. 44, No. 3, pp. 303-310, 2005.
- E. -s. Choi, "A Model for Post-traumatic Stress and Burnout in Firefighters", The Journal of the Korean Society of Emergency Medical Technology, Vol. 5, No. 5, pp. 147-164, 2001.
- H. Hagh-Shenas, M. Ali Goodarzi, G. Dehbozorgi, and H. Farashbandi, "Psychological Consequences of the Bqm Earthquake on Professional and Nonprofessional Helpers", Journal of Traumatic Stress, Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 477-483. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1002/jts.20055
- R. A. Bryant and R. M. Guthrie, "Maladaptive Appraisals as a Risk Factor for Posttraumatic Stress : A Study of Trainee Firefighters", A Journal of the Association for Psychological Science, Vol. 16, No. 10, pp. 749-752 , 2005.
- R. A. Bryant and G. Allison, "Harvey. Posttraumatic Stress in Volunteer Firefighters : Predictors of Distress", The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, Vol. 183, No. 4, pp. 267-271, 1995.5. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005053-199504000-00014
- N. Y. Lee and Y. S. Hah, "Posttraumatic Stress Experienced by Firefighters and Paramedics Perspectives in Nursing Science", Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 83-93, 2012.
- J. -m. Bae, "A Study on the Relationship between Mobilization Impacts, Social Supports, Coping behaviors and PTSD Symptoms & Psychological Wellbeing in Emergency Service Firefighters", The Korean Association for Public Administration, Vol. 44, No. 3. pp. 141-163, 2010.
- The Seoul Shinmun. "Take Measures Against Continued Suicide of Firefighters" 30, http://news.nate.com/ view/20110530n01968, 2011.
- National Emergency Management Agency, 2013 Fire Administration Data and Statistics, http://www.nema.go.kr/nema_cms_iba/show_nema/board/board9s/view.jsp. 2013.