- Volume 9 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Underwater Robot Localization by Probability-based Object Recognition Framework Using Sonar Image
소나 영상을 이용한 확률적 물체 인식 구조 기반 수중로봇의 위치추정
- Received : 2014.09.12
- Accepted : 2014.10.23
- Published : 2014.11.28
This paper proposes an underwater localization algorithm using probabilistic object recognition. It is organized as follows; 1) recognizing artificial objects using imaging sonar, and 2) localizing the recognized objects and the vehicle using EKF(Extended Kalman Filter) based SLAM. For this purpose, we develop artificial landmarks to be recognized even under the unstable sonar images induced by noise. Moreover, a probabilistic recognition framework is proposed. In this way, the distance and bearing of the recognized artificial landmarks are acquired to perform the localization of the underwater vehicle. Using the recognized objects, EKF-based SLAM is carried out and results in a path of the underwater vehicle and the location of landmarks. The proposed localization algorithm is verified by experiments in a basin.
Underwater recognition framework;Artificial landmark;Probability;EKF-SLAM;Imaging sonar
- J. Civera, O. G. Grasa, A. J. Davison, and J. M. M. Montiel, "1-point RANSAC for extended kalman filtering : Application to real time structure from motion and visual odometry," Journal of Field Robotics, vol.27, no.5, pp.609-631, Sep 2010. https://doi.org/10.1002/rob.20345
- F. Herranz, K. Muthukrishnan, and K. Langendoen, "Camera pose estimation using particle filters," IEEE International Conference on Indoor Positioning and Indoor Navigation, Sep 2011.
- R. Kummerle, B. Steder, C. Dornhege, A. Kleiner, G. Grisetti, and W. Burgard, "Large scale graph-based SLAM using aerial images as prior information," In Proceeding of robotics: science and systems (RSS), 2009.
- C. Nam, J. Kang and NL. Doh, "A new Observation Model to Improve the Consistency of EKF-SLAM Algorithm in Large-scale Environments," Journal of Korea Robotics Society, vol.7, no.2, pp.29-34, March, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7746/jkros.2012.7.1.029
- TG. Kim, and NY. Ko, "Localization of an Underwater Robot using Acoustic Signal," Journal of Korea Robotics Society, vol.7, no.4, pp.231-242, December, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7746/jkros.2012.7.4.231
- D. Ribas, P. Ridao, J. Tardos, and J. Neira, "Underwater SLAM in man-made structured environment," Journal of Field Robotics, vol.25, no.11, pp.898-921, July 2008. https://doi.org/10.1002/rob.20249
- J. Folkesson, J. Leonard, J. Leederkerken, and R. Williams, "Feature tracking for underwater navigation using sonar," in Proc. of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp.3678-3684, 2007.
- M. Fallon, J. Folkesson, H. McClelland, and J. Leonard, "Relocating Underwater Features Autonomously Using Sonar-Based SLAM", IEEE Journal of Ocean Engineering, vol.38, no38, pp.500 -513, July 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/JOE.2012.2235664
- H. Johannsson, M. Kaess, B. Englot, F. Hover, and J. Leonard, "Imaging sonar-aided navigation for autonomous underwater harbor surveillance," IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp.4396-4403, Oct 2010.
- S. C. Yu, "Development of real-time acoustic image recognition system using by autonomous marine vehicle," Journal of ocean engineering, vol.25, no. 1, pp.90-105, Jan 2008.
- M. VanMiddlesworth, M. Kaess, F.S. Hover, and J.J. Leonard, "Mapping 3D Underwater Environments with Smoothed Submaps," In Conf. on Field and Service Robotics (FSR), Dec 2013.
- Y. Chen, "Mean Shift, Mode Seeking, and Clustering," IEEE Trans, Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 17, no. 8, pp.790-799, Aug 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/34.400568
- Y. Lee, JH. Lee and HT. Choi, "A Framework of Recognition and Tracking for Underwater Objects based on Sonar Images : Part 1. Design and Recognition of Artificial Landmark considering Characteristics of Sonar Images," Journal of the Institute of Electronics and Information Engineers on System and Control, vol.52, no.2, pp.422-429, Feb 2014.
- H. Rhody, "Lecture 10: Hough Circle Transform," Chester F. Carlson Center for Imaging Science, Rochester Institute of Technology, 2005.
- A. Goshtasby, "Description and Discrimination of Planar Shape Using Shape matrices," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 1985.
- J. Borenstein, L. Ojeda, and S. Kwanmuang, "Heuristic Reduction of Gyro Drift," Journal of Navigation, vol.62, no.1, pp.41-58, Jan 2009. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0373463308005043