- Volume 15 Issue 19
DOI QR Code
Factors Affecting Cancer Screening Intention and Behavior of the Korean Elderly
- Kim, Hee-Jung (College of Nursing, Catholic University of Daegu) ;
- Yim, Hyun-Woo (College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea) ;
- Kim, Nam-Cho (College of Nursing, The Catholic University of Korea)
- Published : 2014.10.23
Background: In this study we investigated factors influencing cancer screening intention and behavior to develop measures to increase the rate of cancer screening in the Korean elderly. Materials and Methods: Participants included 425 elderly subjects 65 years of age or older from D city, South Korea. The health behavior characteristics and cancer screening-related and theory of planned behavior (TPB) factors influencing the participant attitudes on cancer screening were examined to identify determinants significantly affecting cancer screening intentions and behavior. Results: Predictive factors influencing cancer screening behavior included smoking, exercise, cancer concerns, preference for the type of cancer screening, prior experience with the National Cancer Screening Program, perception of the National Cancer Screening Program, behavioral control with respect to cancer screening and cancer screening intentions. The factors influencing cancer screening behavior were different from those for cancer screening intentions. Conclusions: Increasing the cancer screening intentions of the elderly is necessary to raise the rates of cancer screening. Additionally, identifying the inhibitory factors that serve as obstacles to cancer screening in the elderly and changing screening intentions into actual screening behavior is necessary. This study provides a reference for developing and applying policy measures and intervention strategies to increase the cancer screening rates of the elderly in Korea.
- Berglund G, Nilsson S, Nordin K (2005). Intention to test for prostate cancer. Eur J Cancer, 41, 990-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2005.01.011
- Choi SH (2008). The prognostic factors of stomach cancer in the elder. Busan Med J, 24, 333-9.
- Drossaert CH, Boer H, Seydel ER (2003). Prospective study on the determinants of repeat attendance and attendance patterns in breast cancer screening using the theory of planned behavior. Psychol Health, 18, 551-65. https://doi.org/10.1080/0887044031000141207
- Fouladi N, Pourfarzi F, Mazaheri E, et al (2013). Beliefs and behaviors of breast cancer screeing in women referring to health care centers in northwest Iran according to the champion health belief model scale. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6857-62. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6857
- Hahm MI, Choi KS, Kye SY, Kwak MS, Park EC (2007). Factors influencing the intention to have stomach cancer screening. J Prev Med Public Health, 40, 205-12. https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2007.40.3.205
- Honda K, Kagawa-Singer M (2006). Cognitive mediators linking social support networks to colorectal cancer screening adherence. J Behav Med, 29, 449-60. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10865-006-9068-1
- Kim YB, Lee WC, Ro WN, et al (2003). The factors associated with health and cancer screening using preventive programs from health insurance among women of a community. Korean J Health Edu Promot, 20, 41-60.
- Hwang SK, Eo YS, Cho YR, et al (2003). A survey on cancer screening among the middle-aged in pusan area. Korean J Health Edu Promot, 19, 132-52.
- Ju HO, Kim JS, Jo YS, et al (2003). A survey on cancer screening among nurses at general hospital in Busan. Korean J Women Health Nurs, 9, 18-27.
- Kim RB, Park KS, Hong DY, Lee CH, Kim JR (2010). Factors associated with cancer screening intention in eligible persons for national cancer screening program. J Prev Med Public Health, 43, 62-72. https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2010.43.1.62
- Kye SY, Moon IO (2010). Development of analytic model for determinants on the stages of change in colorectal cancer screening. Korean J Health Edu Promot, 27, 79-93.
- Kwak MS, Park EC, Bang JY, et al (2005). Factors associated with cancer screening participation. J Prev Med Public Health, 38, 473-81.
- Lee GY (2010). The related factors of endoscopy examination among health examinees (Dissertation). Busan:Kosin University.
- Lee MS (2008). Comparison of health promotion behavior in middle aged rural residents by cancer screening participation. J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs, 21, 43-52. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2010.21.1.43
- Lee WC (2011). Evidence-based national cancer screening program of Korea. J Korean Med Assoc, 54, 1028-35. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2011.54.10.1028
- Madlensky L, Esplen M J, Gallinger S, McLaughlin JR, Goel V (2003). Relatives of colorectal cancer patients: Factors associated with screening behavior. Am J Prev Med, 25, 187-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-3797(03)00202-2
- Oh EJ, Lee YE, Lee SO (2010). Cervical cancer screening behavior and related factors among married women. J Korean Soc Matern Child Health, 14, 12-23.
- Martires KJ, Kurlander DE, Minwell GJ, Dahms EB, Bordeaux JS (2013). Patterns of cancer screening in primary care from 2005 to 2010. Cancer, 120, 253-61.
- National Cancer Center (2012). Cancer Facts and Figures 2012. National cancer center: Korea.
- National Health Insurance Service (2012). National Health Insurance Statistical Yearbook. National Health Insurance Service: Korea.
- Orbell S, Hagger M, Brown V, Tidy J (2006). Comparing two theories of health behavior: A prospective study of noncompletion of treatment following cervical cancer screening. Health Psychol, 25, 604-15. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-6126.96.36.1994
- Quaglia A, Tavilla A, Shack L, et al (2009). The cancer survival gap between elderly and middle-aged patients in Europe is widening. Eur J Cancer, 45, 1006-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2008.11.028
- Soskolne V, Marie S, Manor O (2007). Beliefs, recommendations and intentions are important explanatory factors of mammography screening behavior among muslim Arab women in Israel. Health Educ Res, 22, 665-76.
- Statistics Korea (2012). Annual Report on the Causes of Death Statistics. Statistical office: Korea.
- Steele S, Porche D (2005). Questionnaire development to predict mammography intention amongwomen in southestern Lousiana. J Nurs Meas, 13, 23-37. https://doi.org/10.1891/jnum.2005.13.1.23
- Suh M, Choi KS, Lee YY, Park B, Jun JK (2013). Cancer screening in Korea, 2013: Results from the Korean national cancer screening survey. Asian Pac J cancer Prev, 14, 6459-63. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6459
- Sung NY, Park EC, Shin HR, Choi KS (2005). Participation rate and related socio-demographic factors in the national cancer Screening program. J Prev Med Public Health, 38, 93-100.
- Vedel I, Puts M, Monette M, Monette J, Bergman H (2011). Barriers and facilitators to breast and colorectal cancer screening of older adults in primary care: A systematic review. J Geriatr Oncol, 2, 85-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jgo.2010.11.003
- Tolma EL, Reininger BM, Evans A, Ureda J (2006). Examining the theory of planned behavior and the construct of selfefficacy to predict mammography intention. Health Educ Behav, 33, 233-51. https://doi.org/10.1177/1090198105277393
- Vainio H, Bianchini F(2002). IARC Handbook of Cancer Prevention: Breast Cancer Screening. 7th ed.: IARC Press: LYON.
- Valentiny C, Kemmler G, Stauder R (2012). Age, sex and gender impact multidimensional geriatric assessment in elderly cancer patients. J Geriatr Oncol, 3, 17-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jgo.2011.10.001
- Yang YH (2012). Relationships between knowledge about early detection, cancer risk perception and cancer screening tests in the general public aged 40 and over. Asian Oncol Nurs, 12, 52-60. https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2012.12.1.52
- Yoon JL, Roh YK, Kim MY, et al (2009). A research for the development of national health screening program for Korean older persons. hallym university health care service support center: Korea.
- Factors Influencing Cancer Rescreening Intention of Korean Elderly vol.18, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2015.118
- Has the National Cancer Screening Program reduced income inequalities in screening attendance in South Korea? vol.26, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-015-0655-8
- Cancer screening in Koreans: a focus group approach vol.18, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-018-5147-9